autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Side panel scratched in the parking lot...what should I do?

Hey folks, I was at the mall this afternoon and I parked my car in the parking lot. I usually park my car as far away as possible just to avoid situations like this..

Well it happened. Someone tried to park beside me and ended up rubbing their bumper against the my side panel. The side mirror was pushed back, not broken thank god, but there are some scratches now on the side panel.

He/she didn't even have the decency to leave their information, and I am real ticked off because I bought this car brand new (2014 Camry SE) not too long ago.

I will show you some pictures..what are my options here? There is no dent (thank god), just scratches that need repairing. Going through the dealership will probably be real expensive so I'm thinking if I should do this myself or go to a detailing/repair shop. I don't have any repair products...so I will buy them as per your recommendations.

What do you guys think? Any experience with this? Tips? Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Side panel scratched in the parking lot...what should I do?

I think you will find that there is probably some damage to the sheet metal there. You can polish that and it will improve the appearance but a lot of that won't come out, and some of it looks like it's down to the primer or worse, which means it may become a rust initiation point.

What do you have as far as supplies and equipment?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh jeez...I was afraid of that. You think it'll need a paint job?

What I have:
    -PC 7424xp (need to buy new pads)
    -Meg's 105 Polish
    -Collinite 845
    -MF towels
    -Clay bars
    -Quick detailer spray

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you have what you need to clean it up--do that first and see how it comes out. You might have to put some touch-up paint in the deep scratches.

Clay it and maybe some mineral spirits for good measure, then hit it with the 105 and see what happens. Just don't try to go down to the bottom of those deep scratches or you'll go through the clear. Make sure you clean the lip of that wheel arch where you'll be polishing off the edge so you don't pick up any grit on your pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sectec. I just don't want to make things worse...thats what I am afraid of most right now, if I should attempt to buff this out myself or take it to a professional. The last thing I want is me making it worse and it ends up costing me more to repair through the dealership/private.

Also, what are mineral spirits? Looks to be of some sort of liquid when I did a google search but I wouldn't have the slightest idea of how to use it after claying.

And which pads do you recommend I use for this job?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice car and sorry to hear about the scratch. I just bought a new 2013 Camry SE in attitude black and about 10 days later I received probably 12-15 minor hail dents.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really think you have much chance of making it worse unless you get carried away and try to take out those very deep scratches.

Mineral spirits are basically an old-style paint thinner, it's a petroleum solvent like in tar removers, it will just remove any rubbery residue that might have come from the other vehicle...not necessary though if you don't have any.

I would start with an orange pad and finish with a white, if that was what you were asking.

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to consider putting that one through your auto insurance. Depending on total cost to repair / repaint, you may not even see any premium increase.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the damage looks like paint from the car that hit you. Here is what I would try first before painting the panel. I would go to NAPA and buy a quart of laquer thinner and wipe the panel down (light pressure) with the thinner to remove the white paint. It should remove all of the white paint. I would take Griots Machine Poiish #2 and Buff the Panel with a high speed buffer. Then Buff it again with Griots Machine Polish #3. After buffing I would wax the panel with any good Carnauba Wax using a dual action polisher and see what it looks like.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

What is the difference between mineral spirits and laquer thinner? Are they the same thing? Which one should I buy to get all that white paint off?

I will contact my insurance today to see what they have to say about this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast