autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Side panel scratched in the parking lot...what should I do?

Don't be intimidated by M105 too much. Yes, it's a compound and don't exert any uneccessary pressure and don't work it forever but it is amazing stuff for me. Withought scrolling back up but do i remember from your initial post you have a PC 7426?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes sir, I bought the PC 7424xp last year. Haven't used any of the products I bought yet, just the collinite 845 and Klasse AIO to seal the fresh paint for winter.

Well I'm gonna give it a go this weekend. I really appreciate all the tips! I will post back with pictures of my results (fingers crossed)....

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed- M105 isn't that hard to work with... but I'd take the other steps outlined here before using it.

Honestly, if it was my brand new car I'd go through insurance and have it professionally fixed.

Just my opinion.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Generally i agree, detailkitty but always like to see what i can do because it's...well, just plain fun and satisfying to restore something myself and i usually avoid repainting something if i can...to avoid the chance of a color mismatch.

Not countering your approach at all, don't get me wrong but this might be a fun little project for shane to try out something he is wanting to do anyway.

Good luck shane and i'm sure you'll find it easier than you think following some of the advice here. Plus we're always here to help

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Puckman View Post
    Generally i agree, detailkitty but always like to see what i can do because it's...well, just plain fun and satisfying to restore something myself and i usually avoid repainting something if i can...to avoid the chance of a color mismatch.

Not countering your approach at all, don't get me wrong but this might be a fun little project for shane to try out something he is wanting to do anyway.

Good luck shane and i'm sure you'll find it easier than you think following some of the advice here. Plus we're always here to help
    I don't blame someone for trying themselves... if it were my car I would too... but my car is not perfect and it's 8 years old... sooooo yeah, no harm trying.
    Brand new 'out of the box".... hell yeah I'm taking it! I have a crazy good BS I use. Place looks like a Ferrari dealership from the outside (and inside.. the floors are marble). They mainly work on high-end cars like that.
    I apparently have a reputation there for being a fanatic about my car... go figure
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like

Lol I hear ya man, but I really can't justify paying that deductible if I can do the job myself, especially when I have all the tools to get the job done...short of mineral spirits but that's like $5. Now if there was a dent in the quarter panel and things seemed out of line, then for sure I would get it done through my insurance. However, there only seems to be some surface scratches and you can't see any dent beside those white scratches on the paint when inspecting the panel from a short distance.. and I've been itching to use the DA polisher so....I guess now I have a bigger reason to use it haha.

Thanks again folks...!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shane83 View Post
    Lol I hear ya man, but I really can't justify paying that deductible if I can do the job myself, especially when I have all the tools to get the job done...short of mineral spirits but that's like $5. Now if there was a dent in the quarter panel and things seemed out of line, then for sure I would get it done through my insurance. However, there only seems to be some surface scratches and you can't see any dent beside those white scratches on the paint when inspecting the panel from a short distance.. and I've been itching to use the DA polisher so....I guess now I have a bigger reason to use it haha.

Thanks again folks...!
    Why not try yourself, and do it in the next couple days, and if you cant fix it, go through insurance? You can always call your agent, and explain it (assuming you have a decent agent). Ive done that before. Someone hit my car, and I didnt wanna make a claim if I could fix it myself. I wasnt able to, and I called the insurance to file the claim.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Kev, appreciate the input and I guess that'll be my last resort...hopefully it won't come to that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Ah, it's good to see insurance fraud is still rampant.
    How is this insurance fraud? You are entitled to FULL compensation for any and all damages per your insurance policy that you pay faithfully every year. What you do with the money is completely up to you as the owner of the vehicle. If you decide to live with the damage and spend the money elsewhere, it is not fraud nor does the insurance company care one bit! If your body shop is good at what they do they can get a perfect paint match and apply any money paid for blending paint into other panels towards your deductible. How is this fraud?

I see typing before thinking is still running rampant!

OP, have you inquired as to whether or not surveillance cameras are present in the location that your car was hit?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes...waiting on the store. However, I inspected the cameras around the area and to me it looks like my car is out of view since I park far away from the store entrance.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast