autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: cleaning a Jeep soft top?

Haven't seen a new Jeep in a long while , but in my days they had a plastic/Vinyl top which is easy to call. Cloth tops were what you'd see on Beamers and Porsche, MBZs etc. it looks kinda like canvas.

I'd vac both outside and in. Before starting with washing and chemicals, if the inside is not really that dirty then just clean with a damp towel soaked in shampoo then wipe out with another damp towel soaked in warm water and may be a third wipe with a dry towel. Leave using chemicals as the last resort.
    Hope that helps somewhat.

Post Thanks / Like

cleaning a Jeep soft top?

Hey guessless ! New jeep soft tops are hard to clean without a cleaner and protectant. IMHO vacuuming won't do a thing. The material is a pourous vinyl just like the black trim on a vehicle. I'd be scared a vacuum nozzle would scratch the soft top.

They recommend only using gentle scrubbers or a cloth. Vacuuming will scratch the windows as well as potentially damage the sticking at the seems. Best thing is soap and water. A hair brush to scrub or a micro fibre cloth.

The top needs attention almost like black trim but with more gentle cleansing and protectant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I'll try a damp cloth or maybe just take a hose to the inside first and see if that gets the inside looking ok or not. It's not on the Jeep yet as I just bought the top off craigslist a couple weeks ago. I don't know if the dust on the inside is from use or from storage or both. I'll definitely see about getting the Raggtopp kit for the outside though.

Post Thanks / Like
    The inside try a carpet shampoo. And don't forget. The soft top will respond the same as trim if wax gets on it or some of the stuff that is sprayed in drive in car washes. High pressure also not recommended

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cleanfreeek View Post
    The inside try a carpet shampoo. And don't forget. The soft top will respond the same as trim if wax gets on it or some of the stuff that is sprayed in drive in car washes. High pressure also not recommended

LOL yeah definitely will not be using high pressure. It's quite used, I already had to buy the $10 front header seal kit, probably need to buy the $130 door surround seals kit too if I want it water tight (assuming none of the seams & zippers leak). Thankfully I shouldn't have any wax/sealant discoloration as my collection of AG stuff doesn't usually have that effect on trim. I can just take the top off for polishing the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
    LOL yeah definitely will not be using high pressure. It's quite used, I already had to buy the $10 front header seal kit, probably need to buy the $130 door surround seals kit too if I want it water tight (assuming none of the seams & zippers leak). Thankfully I shouldn't have any wax/sealant discoloration as my collection of AG stuff doesn't usually have that effect on trim. I can just take the top off for polishing the paint.

For the seal kits. Try and use weather stripping from homedepot. It's the same stuff and a 1/4 of the price. That's what I used. For the zippers try to find a good zipper paste or bar. It's usually made from mink oil. It will replenish and help open and close the zipper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cleanfreeek View Post
    For the seal kits. Try and use weather stripping from homedepot. It's the same stuff and a 1/4 of the price. That's what I used. For the zippers try to find a good zipper paste or bar. It's usually made from mink oil. It will replenish and help open and close the zipper

Yeah I'll definitely try weatherstripping on the rest because there's no way I'm paying $130 for the surround seals unless I have to. I'm not planning on this top lasting forever, and I already have to actually replace one of the door surrounds because it's damaged at the attachment point. That's $100 right there, but since I spent $50 on the whole top (because of the broken surround partly) and they normally go for 300 for just the top to average 5-600 for ones with all the hardware, I can't complain much lol.

Eventually I want to find one of the new 2013+ "premium" tops on craigslist or just get a 3rd party one. Will definitely be taking good care of one of those, so now is my chance to learn how to care for them while I have one that doesn't matter if I mess up. Kinda like grabbing an old body panel to learn a rotary buffer on before using it on you actual vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like

flyinion,
    I have a full bottle of RaggTopp Vinyl Protectant that I bought for my Honda and since that is gone I have no use for it so if you want it PM me your address and I will send it to you.
    The stuff works great and will make the top look brand new and protect it at the same time.
    I used to clean my top with 303 convertible top cleaner and a very soft brush and lots of water. It did a good job.
    I used 303AP on my top once and it looked good until it rained, then my paint looked terrible so I switched to the RaggTopp and never had an issue with it running.
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ I tried 303 and it's not cheap. And it didn't last. That's why the ragtopp is worth every penny they want

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S2K View Post
    flyinion,
    I have a full bottle of RaggTopp Vinyl Protectant that I bought for my Honda and since that is gone I have no use for it so if you want it PM me your address and I will send it to you.
    The stuff works great and will make the top look brand new and protect it at the same time.
    I used to clean my top with 303 convertible top cleaner and a very soft brush and lots of water. It did a good job.
    I used 303AP on my top once and it looked good until it rained, then my paint looked terrible so I switched to the RaggTopp and never had an issue with it running.
    Thanks for the offer. I'm probably just going to end up making an AG order. I need to get some more 303 for the seals on my top and the engine bay, and have been wanting to get some UTTG for the fenders, bumpers, etc. for a long time (not wasting that on the engine lol), and I need the cleaner that is part of the RaggTopp kit because I just struck out again on finding any 303 stuff locally.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast