autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

IPA wipedown to remove polymers?

Im trying to determine if my OC 2.0 failed. My hood is not beading in this morning's rain storm (it's just soaked with a pool of water). All other panels are somewhat beading. There is a lot of pollen in the air and this may be the cause but my wife's vehicle is beading better with a 2 month old sealant.
    I wash with ONR and need to remove the polymers it leaves behind, otherwise I may get false results. All of my other washes contain wax, so no help there.
    So does anyone know if an IPA wipedown will remove the polymers left behind by ONR?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IPA wipedown to remove polymers?

The problem with your theory is that the ONR polymers should be helping with the beading, not hindering it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    The problem with your theory is that the ONR polymers should be helping with the beading, not hindering it.
    No, we are on the same page. I'm trying to remove the polymers bc I don't want the polymers to cause the beading. I want to test my coating.

Post Thanks / Like

A wash with Optimum Power Clean should sort you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I was you I would clay it and then wipe down with IPA. I'm sorry to tell you this, but if you think your OC may have failed - it probably has. My roof is OC'ed and it beads strongly no matter how dirty/filthy/salt covered the car is. Of course I'm sure it's possible for some contaminate to kill the beading, but it's not easy IME.

Maybe this could help... On a flat surface or a hood, OC beading should look like this:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    If I was you I would clay it and then wipe down with IPA. I'm sorry to tell you this, but if you think your OC may have failed - it probably has. My roof is OC'ed and it beads strongly no matter how dirty/filthy/salt covered the car is. Of course I'm sure it's possible for some contaminate to kill the beading, but it's not easy IME.

Maybe this could help... On a flat surface or a hood, OC beading should look like this:

Thanks. I just don't get it. I just applied it a few weeks ago. And I even applied a second coat (within 1 week of the 1st,optimum told me this was ok as long as it's in the 30 day curing window).
    I clayed and did a paint correction, followed by Detailers Coating prep polish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Autogk View Post
    Thanks. I just don't get it. I just applied it a few weeks ago. And I even applied a second coat (within 1 week of the 1st,optimum told me this was ok as long as it's in the 30 day curing window).
    I clayed and did a paint correction, followed by Detailers Coating prep polish.
    Dunno. I use all Optimum products when I did this as they recommend. I think it's important to follow coating manufacturers instructions to a T using the exact products they recommend for prep.

With Optimum, it's an Optimum polish followed by an IPA wipe down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Dunno. I use all Optimum products when I did this as they recommend. I think it's important to follow coating manufacturers instructions to a T using the exact products they recommend for prep.

With Optimum, it's an Optimum polish followed by an IPA wipe down.
    AG recommends the Detailers prep polish, that's why I bought it. I'm hoping it's just the pollen layer preventing beading.

Post Thanks / Like

How thick or how thin did you apply the coating?

Did you let the coating sit and level for 5-10 mins before removing and excess?

Did you let the sit for at a minimum of 24 hours and not being exposed
    To any moisture?

After you did the entire car how much coating was left over?

I've used the prep polish numerous times with coatings and I have yet to have an issue.

I'm not a huge fan of layering OC
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    How thick or how thin did you apply the coating?

Did you let the coating sit and level for 5-10 mins before removing and excess?

Did you let the sit for at a minimum of 24 hours and not being exposed
    To any moisture?

After you did the entire car how much coating was left over?

I've used the prep polish numerous times with coatings and I have yet to have an issue.

I'm not a huge fan of layering OC
    I did 3 applications bc I have a fullsize truck and couldn't do the whole job in one day (paint correction).
    First application: I used about 6 CC for my front doors, fenders and hood. The next day I went under an overpass and a little water hit the hood and beaded nicely.
    Second application: A few days later, I applied to my rear doors, fenders and rear gate. On the same day I applied another coat to the front doors, fenders and hood bc I thought I may have missed a few spots and wiped some panels to soon w my initial application (that was my learning curve).
    Third application: did my roof and second coat on the rear doors, fenders, gate.

On my second and third application I made sure to let it flash off. I did pretty well on my first application just may have wiped a couple sections too soon, but probably not.

I have 9 CC left over.

If it makes any difference I'm parked under a tree and had pollen on the hood. Could the pollen/run off from the tree be causing OC to not bead?
    I want to believe it's still on there bc I can still see a small water spot outline from the day water dripped on the hood which I'm pretty sure was in the coating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast