autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Grit in the rinse water?

My car was fairly dusty, built up over a couple weeks, so instead of just using UWW+ at home, I decided I'd go to the self-serve car wash and blast the dust off the paint and wheels just using the rinse setting, then spritz it with UWW+ to wipe it dry.

I ended up getting some linear scratches, like you'd get if you were dragging some light grits in your wiping towel.

Now I can't be 100% sure the grit was in the rinse water from the car wash, but I think I recall people saying some car washes recycle their water (which may not be a bad thing, depending on their filtering/purification process). Grit in the rinse water would be my guess though.

Maybe I should have used their "spot-free rinse" setting (the water only trickles out on that setting) but I was afraid they might put some chemical additive in that stream. Not sure...anyone know?

Anyway, it got me thinking, it's entirely possible there could be grits in the municipal water supply at home. The water travels many miles through some pretty old pipe that may have cracks in it. Back before I started using predominately rinseless, I used to use an inline mineral filter on the hose due to hard water, but never thought that might also serve as a small grit particle filter too.

Does anyone else use a filter on the municipal water supply from your spigot?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grit in the rinse water?

If the water is recycled there could be some grit in it. However I think there was still some grit on the car when you did the waterless wash and that is your problem.

This winter, I tried to do a touchless washes followed up by a waterless wash when I attempted to clean my car. However, I found that when the car was heavily salt crusted there was still a very faint layer of dust/grime remaining. The remaining layer of grime then caused marring/swirls when I did my waterless wash. On at least one occasion, I could see it happening while I worked. This might be the same situation in your case.

I've never been able to achieve much with a self-serve car wash. After dumping loads of quarters into the machines I still pull out the other side with more grime on the car than I would like.

I've never had issues when doing a bucket wash. Any marring/swirls were my fault and can be linked to a mistake I made. Not the water coming out of the hose.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just a newb here, but I would be hesitant to believe that there would be grit that was in the car wash's equipment. The size of the nozzle on pressure washers is so small that if there was grit in there, those heads would probably be getting clogged. I agree with everything desertnate said. Just my $.02.

Post Thanks / Like

A quick google search found a website for one particular reclaim system, they had data from tesing performed by the local wastewater agency. It's unclear where the sample was taken from in the process, but it identified 219 mg/L total suspended solid, which would be any grit as well as precipitates and sludge. So there is the potential. But you should expect some grit in your city water or well water as well. City water should be far below 219 mg/L, closer to 1-10 mg/L from anything in the city main.

Post Thanks / Like

just think about water spots. maybe it's not "grit" but there are calcium, lime deposits, and other minerals in most forms of treated water. in my opinion if those deposits are that hard and visible upon drying, then they are hard enough to create scratches and marring to the paint as it's being wiped off of your paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments. I guess I'll never know the cause for sure.

As far as the grit size, it's not the size of the grit that allows it to scratch, it's the hardness of the material, sharpness,etc. Very fine abrasives that are physically very small can scratch paint.

Does anyone know if there are chemicals added to the "spot free rinse" at self-serve car washes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SR99 View Post
    Does anyone else use a filter on the municipal water supply from your spigot?
    Yes, I have a 5 micron whole-house filter.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerGM View Post
    just think about water spots. maybe it's not "grit" but there are calcium, lime deposits, and other minerals in most forms of treated water. in my opinion if those deposits are that hard and visible upon drying, then they are hard enough to create scratches and marring to the paint as it's being wiped off of your paint.
    Sorry but before that drop of water dries out, those minerals are simply ions in the water. So maybe they are hard enough to "create scratches and marring" but I doubt you'd be able to see scratches 1 molecule wide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Sorry but before that drop of water dries out, those minerals are simply ions in the water. So maybe they are hard enough to "create scratches and marring" but I doubt you'd be able to see scratches 1 molecule wide.
    Why be sorry, that's pretty good information.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Almost sounds like a title of a Country song.

"Well the Wife took up with the preacherman
    down at Junction City First Baptist Church.
    And the Tyler boys stole my pickup truck,
    and wrapped it around that thar big ol' Birch.

For these events I will hide my pride
    And try to take it all in stride...

For the thing that will cause me to pause
    And think about committing manslaughter:
    Is when I find out that my hometown Car Wash
    Has got: Grit in their dang rinse-water!"

George "Bob" Jones
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerGM View Post
    Why be sorry, that's pretty good information.
    Well, people talk about "filtering" out hardness in water. You can filter out particles, but hardness in water is ions (atoms/molecules) which are way too small to be filtered. They are "filtered" out by ion exchange (softener) or ion removal (deionizer). Of course you can also purify water through distillation or remove some large molecules by reverse osmosis or certain compounds by carbon filtering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast