autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem with windscreen after using Ceriglass

Hello

I decided to use Ceriglass to remove some scratches on my windscreen that has wiper scratches in my eye line when driving. I firstly washed the screen, then wiped with IPA. Then I began using the Ceriglass by hand using the supplied rayon blocks for about 20 mins, with regular sprays of cold water.

After the 20 min session I cleaned the area up thoroughly with water and another wipe down with IPA. When I got into the car this morning the scratches were reduced but I noticed a distortion effect had appeared. Moving my head slightly made the glass distortion more visible, you could tell the light coming through was being diffracted differently.

Does anymore know what could have gone wrong because the Ceriglass states it will not distort glass? I really hope I can fix this problem.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to use Ceri Glass via a DA or rotary with the CarPro rayon pads to really get the job done. For whatever reason it just doesn't get the results by hand. There are a few DIY threads on here on how to do this.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Problem with windscreen after using Ceriglass

Removing scratches on glass by hand is very difficult. I was surprised I was able into distort the scratches enough to cause a noticeable effect when sat in the drivers seat.

Correct me if I am wrong. By doing the work by hand have I manged to take away a small layer of the glass were the groove of the scratch mark is? If I finish the work with a rotary will it likely remove the distortion effect?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    You know its hard to say what's going on without seeing the glass, but you should be able to fix it with the right pads/technique and a DA or rotary.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Am fairly new to rotary work. In fact I dont even have the equipment yet. Ive been looking at the equipment below, could you please tell me if they are compatible with each other?

Pad: Diameter is 130mm

Flexipads Rayon Glass Polishing Discs | Durable Cutting Pads For Glass Polishing

Backing pad: Diameter is 125mm, M14 thread

Silverline Hook & Loop Velcro Backing Pad 125mm x 10mm M14 Sanding Discs 427547 | eBay

Rotary polisher:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-2...tools+polisher

Ive read that it is better to have a pad that has a bigger diameter than the backing pad to prevent causing damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes your pads should Always be bigger than the backing plate that way there is no chance of hitting the packing plate against the paint etc..

Also with hand you probabaly removed very minor scratches, i spent a couple of hours on each glass to remove or lighten deeper scratches via DA, minor ones were gone in a matter of a few minutes.

Get CARPRO Glass pads most folks have had better results with them in conjunction with ceriglass than other brands of pads, in fact some reported other pads scratched their glass. They come in 2 sizes 3 & 5 inches so you use a 3" backing plate for 3" pads via DA and a 2 7/8" backing via rotary, for the 5" I used a 5" backing being very careful not to hit molding etc. my other choice was using a 3.5" plate but wanted the advantage of the plate contacting more of the Glass area. for rotary you use 4 7/8 plate.

SWANICYOUTH had a thread specifically for using the ceriglass and carpro pads via DA, it helped me a ton in reducing my scratches. (Thanks Swanicyouth if you see this)

Also Mike philips had another thread on Ceriglass. Just do a search for ceriglass.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had success removing light wiper scratches by following http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...al-carpro.html i spent 2+ hours with a rotary and CeriGlass, and CarPro Rayon Pads while working in the shade and cool weather. My scratches were light from sand like particles spread by the wipers. The pits remained.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys,

Ive decided to tackle the problem with rotary instead. The rotary that I will be using has 2 backing pad thicknesses. Should I go with the 2mm or 10mm backing pad?

Thanks