autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Truck Questions

Hey guy's I'm new to the forum and researching products for my new Ford F150 4x4, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Color '"Tuxedo Black Metallic" Daily driver, parked in driveway(wife's Mustang get's the garage) washed/detailed every week.

Questions
    1. I have a Dewalt model dw443 orbital sander 4000-6800 opm, is this ok to use for polishing/waxing with kompressor pads? (pads are white,orange and red) or do I need something like the Griot GG6?

2. Wash mit and cleaner/soap?

3. Suggestions on products for Black Metallic. Plan on washing, clay bar, ultra-fine polishing and then finishing with a sealer and or wax.

Thanks so much!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to autogeek, as for your questions if you are experienced in using that rotary polisher you have by all means go ahead and use it though just note when apply waxes and sealants place the machine on the lowest setting though if this your first time using a machine on your vehicle than go for GG6 as for car wash durgloss 901 is a great choice along with a dreadlock style wash mitt another good soap which is OTC(over the counter) is meguiars gold class as lastly klasse all in one polish and high gloss sealant glaze and collinite 845 are great choices too

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Truck Questions

That DeWalt looks alright as long as the backing plate will work with the pads--does it have Velcro hooks on it? That vacuum shroud is going to get in the way a bit too.

You're going to get a thousand suggestions on the wash media, soap, polish and LSP.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy's Yes I did use this polisher with another brand of pads on my last truck, so it does have Velcro hooks. I was worried that the speed was to fast as it seems that slower is better for your finial coats of sealer and or wax. This is a new truck so I want to get it right the first time. Thanks for your product suggestions. I new I would get a lot of opinions and that's great. Just looking to find what work's for others on Dark colors (Black Metallic). Also sealer or wax or both?

Post Thanks / Like
    You could apply both wax and sealant though if you wanna apply just one LSP then my choice would be sealant

Post Thanks / Like

I own the same truck in the same colour. Real nice paint to work with and the metallic hides a lot which is a good thing and a bad thing. sometimes trying to find the defects is a bit harder. I use LC White CCS pads with some Menzerna 2500 and top it with collinite 915.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FF1350 View Post
    sealer or wax or both?
    Generally speaking sealants are more durable than waxes. So if you don't have the time to detail as frequently, a sealant may be a better choice. But some people enjoy waxing, so if you do it often, wax alone is fine. Then there are those who do both; sealant topped with wax.

Choose your poison and enjoy!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for all your help! Reading reviews on the most popular products, looking at ease of application and removal, longevity and that deep gloss finish. Its summer here in Va. Beach so may just go with a wax for that deep gloss finish for now and then a sealer in the fall.

Thanks again !!!!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FF1350 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for all your help! Reading reviews on the most popular products, looking at ease of application and removal, longevity and that deep gloss finish. Its summer here in Va. Beach so may just go with a wax for that deep gloss finish for now and then a sealer in the fall.

Thanks again !!!!!
    Having the same truck in the same color, I've learned a bit about it over the last 8 months. The Collinite insulator wax was excellent in the winter, holding up at least two months ,maybe more, even with a LOT of wachings, road salt, grime etc.

However, with the longer days and high temps, that black seems to "cook-off" the carnauba. I notice degraded performance after about 3 weeks. My truck is outdoors 24X7.

So, In mid April, I polished the hood and applied Blackfire Sealant (sample size.) It is looking great 6 weeks later and beads high. I now intend to seal the whole truck, and am debating exactly which sealer to use. Blackfire has performed well - is it the best? Sigh...

Anyway, I'd suggest a wash, claybar, polish and then seal for the summer.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guy's great info. Just ordered the Black Fire Wet Diamond Line up ( clay lube , polish , sealant and detail spray) due to the number of good reviews. Special thank's too Eric and Paxfish as I have the same truck in the tuxedo Black. Nice to know what others have found to work on dark metallic.