autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Techniques Drying Off Car

I start by using my leaf blower making sure I get most of the water from the car.
    Then I use my soft Micro Fiber towels along with a quick detailer to remove any left over water and water spots.

Works for me
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

1. Sheeting method! (Removes 80% of water)
    2. Cobra ww towel. Ragg co. DRY ME A RIVER TOWEL. (The DMAR is the best i have used.
    3. I will use some PRIMA WAX AS YOU DRY if needed during the final dry.
    4. Dry wheels/tires last. Ready for opti-bond tire gel.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

sheet the water off then blow dry and then use waffle weave for what ever is left

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone using distilled water as final rinse and then just air drying? I thought I might experiment with using some jugs of distilled water from the grocery store.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use the sheeting or "drip" method followed by a blow dry. Whatever is left i blot with a WW MF towel. With a black car i have learned to reduce as much as possible any friction passes needed to wipe dry. I also wipe my tire sidewalls with an old bath towel to prolong my dressing a little longer. Sometimes i need to add some and sometimes i don't.

Tacket, i have never felt the need to go as extreme as distilled water rinses but i would like to see your results if you try it. Basically i don't have any water left on the vehicle to become spots but have certainly heard from others, especially in very arrid environments (AZ, NV, NM etc.) that might get some value out of such a test. I would think it might be too costly to do it every time but to those who suffer with spotting it may be worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Heavily regulated California so sheeting is out of the question. As for drying I use the Blaster Sidekick and WW MF Towel. After the car is dry; I will finish with either of these 3 (no preference in which is better as all are fine by me): Blackfire Wet Diamond Spray or Optimum Spray wax or Duragloss Aquawax. It just depends on the mood I am for any of these 3

Post Thanks / Like

I use Carpro BOA towel for drying. Very plush, soaks up all the water. Never had any trouble drying.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have a leaf blower/compressed air I like to mist a quick detailer over the car while it is still wet then start drying with a waffle weave towel. It really helps to minimize water spots and such

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Puckman as far as drying is concerned..."reduce as much as possible any friction passes needed to wipe dry"...i.e. sheeting, blow drying, pat, blot and once in a great while drag a mf very lightly across a horizontal panel to remove water. Using a QD for drying is a no-no for me unless its a very small area and I even blot dry the QD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    sheeting method, leaf blower/master blaster, qd/spray wax wipedown which will get any remaining droplets. done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmd View Post
    ^^this.
    This is the best method, in my opinion. Any time you can minimize the touching of the paint, you minimize the potential for swirls. After blowing the water off, by using a waterless wash/quick detailer/spray wash to provide lubrication, you also minimize the potential for swirls and scratches, while also eliminating the water spots that may have started to form.

If you do this method, I think you will have significantly less swirls than someone who just wiped the water off with a waffle weave or other type of microfiber towel.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast