autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Drying with waffle weave

Waffle weave absorbs great. I use the borderless towels for wax and polish. Do you think waffle weave edges are leaving scratches? Waffle weave edges are kinda rough. I don't have swirls just light scratches. Maybe I'm not washing properly. But I question the waffle weave edges

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drying with waffle weave

Quote Originally Posted by frankprozzoly View Post
    Waffle weave absorbs great. I use the borderless towels for wax and polish. Do you think waffle weave edges are leaving scratches? Waffle weave edges are kinda rough. I don't have swirls just light scratches. Maybe I'm not washing properly. But I question the waffle weave edges
    I had the same problem with WW towel I bought that didn't have satin edges. I now use the WW towel to blot dry and a use a lightly damp 530gram MF towel for a final buff. Seems to be working well so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends which towel and how you use it - more than just considering if it's a waffle weave or not. I use waffle weave towels exclusively to apply QDs/spray waxes and to dry. I use high quality towels - and have never noticed any marring.

Microfibers themselves are very thin. Much thinner than a human hair. I do not believe it's the style of the weave that can cause them to mar, I believe it's more the user's environment, how the towel is stored/washed, towel quality/composition, and technique of use.

Of course, one could argue towels with satin borders can mar - and a lot of WW towels have satin borders. However, I just haven't found this to pan out in real life. When you are using these towels to spread/pick up liquid - you aren't/shouldn't be using much pressure, so this may help things along.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the waffle weave towels can be a little rough at times thought to ease that spirit a little bit of water on the towel and use the blotting method until the towel its fully saturated

Post Thanks / Like

I like to put a light dilution of ONR into a pump sprayer and saturate the whole car down to help prevent waterspots. Then after use that same solution to clean up the mess and provide lubrication during the drying, no swirls so far.

Post Thanks / Like

I am experimenting with using a pre-soaked (i.e. wet) MF to dry. It seems much smoother over the surface, and picks up 98% of the water, then I use a dry MF to get the little bit remaining.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll try the damp mf towel. I bought my towels from the rag company. Another problem I have is tiny lint left behind from MF. It's very annoying.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drying with waffle weave-uploadfromtaptalk1401585431992-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frankprozzoly View Post
    I'll try the damp mf towel. I bought my towels from the rag company. Another problem I have is tiny lint left behind from MF. It's very annoying.
    I have used the Rag Companies Waffle Weave towels and IMO there are better WW towels out there. As for their Blue Eagle MF towel..that is one of the best...PERIOD.

I use the AGO green Waffle Weave Towels for drying. The Blue Eagle for QD and removing wax.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Orange and blue edgeless towels from rag company are the same material and weight. I'll look for better waffle weave

Post Thanks / Like

I really like rag co WW drying towels. I dampen them by spraying ONR at QD mix or soak them in a bucket of distilled water and wring them out as much as possible. Damp towels dry well. Water attracts water, and damp towels don't scratch if you use moderate pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast