autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem with DP paint coatin

Last Sunday I applied DP paint coating on my car. I washed,clayed, polished with menzerna pf2500,prep polish them carpro eraser then applied the coating. It was about 5 days after when it rained a little so the next day I washed. The beading was not as good as I thought it would be but when drying the car all I see all over the car are water spots. I also used a spray wax after and while wiping that I see water spots. What did I do wrong?

Post Thanks / Like
    Coatings seem to be prone to water spots for whatever reason. I think it also depends on the mineral/particulate content and the pH of the water that is left to dry on the panel. Allowing DI water to dry on a panel will not leave water spots - at least none that are not easily wiped off. It seems CarPro Spotless is being quite well received for it's designed ability to remove water spots on a coated surface. You may want to purchase some of that.

As for the disappointing beading - the cause of that is anyone's guess. I have never used this particular coating, but I have read applying it a bit heavier than is intuitive seems to increase the beading of this product. The possibility also exists that the coating has failed due to some mis-step in the prep work.

You will never know for sure. All you can do it clean the car up and try it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Problem with DP paint coatin

It was my first time using it so it's probably my fault. Just disappointing after a whole weekend of work and it looked amazing when I finished.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeyp3021 View Post
    It was my first time using it so it's probably my fault. Just disappointing after a whole weekend of work and it looked amazing when I finished.
    It does take practice to apply a coating, and apply it well. Each coating is different, and applications of coatings in general are different than a wax or sealant.

For me, Id rather over apply PBL/DP coating than use sparingly.

Post Thanks / Like

I go straight from the prep polish to the coating as that is what it is made for.

As for beading being weak, agreeing with an above statement about it being anybody's guess, there are many, many variables.

I know that pollen and that fine mist tree sap that's going around this time of year and parking under or even near trees can hinder beading properties.

DP coating is rather cumbersome to apply if you've never used a coating before. It flashes fast and especially if you are used to using traditional sealants and waxes, it will seem like you're not wiping anything after about two wipes.

The trick with DP coating is lighting. After you spray one spray, you must start working it rather quickly and immediately. You'll need to put your head down at an angle and look into an overhead light source reflection in your paint to see the light "film" or thin "swipe" marks that follow your applicator. It is hard to explain but you may know what I mean.

Since DP has so many potential applications in the bottle, if you really think something is messed up, use a light abrasive polish to remove it, use the prep polish and then go straight to the coating. For a mid sized sedan hood, about 5 sprays should get the job done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Coatings seem to be prone to water spots for whatever reason.
    Strange, I've noticed this too. Last year I used DP paint coating and had bad water spots after rain. This year I've used Pinnacle BL paint coating and am still experiencing the water spotting after rain. More so on my trunk and hood.

Post Thanks / Like

Me too with OC 2.0. But I thought it was because I had water drip onto my hood only 18 hours after applying. I chalked it up that the coating wasn't cured yet. I'll see what happens after 30 days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyp3021 View Post
    I wouldn't say its your fault, the comments about the water could have a lot more to do with it. It seems that water is different in different parts of the country. I know city water is awesome while out in the country its hard sometimes, I.e. more minerals and such. I know when visiting relatives in WV back in the 80's when I had hair, I would wash my hair and when done it felt greasy when done, LOL, so there's something to the water for sure!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

DP paint coating is not an amazing beading product. It sheets well, but if tight beading is your thing look elsewhere.

Applying this product with a Carpro block and micro suede applicator goes a long way toward getting a better result.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

I used the lake county coating applicator and I thought I thought I put it on heavier then I should have. It's mostly the hood roof and trunk the side panels don't seem to have the spots. I'm happy with how the car looks so I will give it a few weeks and see how it goes I can always redo it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast