autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Black car questions

Quote Originally Posted by Fly5465 View Post
    Whew! Wow so much info today. I have spent many hours reading stuff here and on the web about washing a dang car! LOL.

I like what you all have recommended and have done a fair amount of reading on the 2 bucket wash as well as the rinseless wash. I also watched the videos about the Gary Dean method.

I'm still a little confused as to the difference between a waterless wash and a rinseless wash. They sound similar.

Honestly the Gary Dean method and the the ONR method go against things I thought I learned years ago about washing cars. But it sounds like it works.

Since my car is not a daily driver and garaged most of the time, its mainly dust that I would be cleaning most of the time. So I'm thinking I will try the Gary Dean method (similar to ONR video). Then if the car is a bit dirtier, I will do the 2 bucket wash.

Now I need to get a bunch of micro fiber towels and some cleaning solution. Should I just go with ONR or should I get the "Infinite Use Detail Juice"?

What towels do you guys recommend for my use?

Thanks again for the help.

Oh by the way to BlackRam, I don't know what product they are using for the Acrylic Sealant. The place I'm taking my car to is " Car cleaners detailing" in Mesa. I have seen their work, its awesome. Once they get it done, I hope I can keep it up.

Here is a link to their website QUALITY INTEGRITY RESULTS

Thanks again all,
    Dale

Waterless and rinseless are quite different. Waterless you would use a solution mixed up in a spray bottle. Spray the solution directly on the paint and wipe it off with a clean MF towel, very similar to using a quick detailer. Waterless washing is safer than a QD for removing dust as it has 2 main functions.

1. Lubricity - it lubricates the paint to prevent the dry MF towels from scratching.

2. Emulsification - the solution breaks down and emulsifies and encapsulates the dirt particles. The dirt is actually wrapped in polymers and pulled away form the paint.

Rinseless washing is very similar to a regular wash, except you don't rinse your car before or after you wash. Products like ONR do not suds up, therefore there is no need to rinse. ONR contains polymers that perform the above duties, but addsa significant amount of water to make the process even safer. Many people choose to rinse their cars before doing a rinseless wash to remove as much of the contaminents as possible before beginning a rinseless wash. If the car is very dirty, like after a rain storm, I choose to do a regular wash, though it is not necessary. ONR or similar can be used on cars that are rather dirty, though I will take my precautions. However, since we Phoenicians typically only deal with dust either a waterless or rinseless wash will do the trick.

I find when i do the Gary Dean method, In can mix up 1 gallon of water with 1/2oz of ONR, 10 MF towels (I use one per panel and then put it in a seperate bucket to be washed when done) and I end up with only a few ounces of water left over.

I find that either of these solutions work great as you can clean your car in the garage, working on a cool surface. If you have soft water, that is a plus. Products like ONR also help to soften the water. I find that rinseless is safer than waterless, but waterless is safer than a QD.

Both rinseless and waterless are quicker to do, and although we don't currently have water restrictions, I expect them to be issued soon with the continued western drought. Shoot, lake Powell is only at 42% capacity now, in 2000 it was 93%.

I know waterless and rinseless washing sounds scary, but like everything else, technology has changed, and we have products that are geared toward saving one of our most precious resources. I have given my dad (74 year old man) a rinseless wash kit. Much like you, he was very skeptical, but one I showed him the result on my non-metallic black car, he gave it a try. He is now converted, he won't wash his car any other way, unless it is a total mess.

And finally, with either waterless or rinseless, quality MF towels and technique are critical. Work top down, use only clean MFs and plenty of cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

tiSS'er,
    Thanks for the detailed reply. That makes it more clear. I'm going to try the rinse-less Gary Dean Method. I've watched his latest videos and he pre-treats the panel by spraying it with a solution of his USDJ. Do you recommend pre-treating as well? Can you do this with ONR diluted in a spray bottle?

Thanks again,
    appreciate it!!

Post Thanks / Like

tiSS'er,
    Thanks for the detailed reply. That makes it more clear. I'm going to try the rinse-less Gary Dean Method. I've watched his latest videos and he pre-treats the panel by spraying it with a solution of his USDJ. Do you recommend pre-treating as well? Can you do this with ONR diluted in a spray bottle?

Thanks again,
    appreciate it!!
    Yeah you can pretreat the panel before hand. Go to home depot or lowes and pick yourself up a hand pump sprayer to save your hands.

Post Thanks / Like

As suggested earlier, snow foam and rinse is a great way to remove dust without touching the paint. A feather duster is also worth considering, as the static charge will lift dust away from the paint surface (it also avoids contact through towel drying)

Post Thanks / Like

tiSS'er,

Thanks again,
    appreciate it!!
    I do pre-treat every panel with ONR solution before I begin. Feels safer to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, just an update here. I bought all the stuff I need to do a rinse-less wash. Going to try the Garry Dean method. One question... Have lots of new microfiber towels and ONR.

Since I CAN rinse if I want, would it be advisable to rinse it with just a hose in the driveway then pull the wet car into the garage and do the Garry Dean method of rinse-less wash?

My thinking is by rinse first, it would knock off most of the dirt and dust?

Or is this just unnecessary with a rinse-less type wash?

Thanks,
    Dale - AZ

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, just an update here. I bought all the stuff I need to do a rinse-less wash. Going to try the Garry Dean method. One question... Have lots of new microfiber towels and ONR.

Since I CAN rinse if I want, would it be advisable to rinse it with just a hose in the driveway then pull the wet car into the garage and do the Garry Dean method of rinse-less wash?

My thinking is by rinse first, it would knock off most of the dirt and dust?

Or is this just unnecessary with a rinse-less type wash?

Thanks,
    Dale - AZ
    Another AZ guy here... My advice is to not do the hose rinse because of our extremely hard water. You will get water spots from drips from mirrors, trunk, door weep holes. Use distilled water with ONR and not only will you be amazed at the shine, but you'll have absolutely no water spots.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rudedog830 View Post
    Another AZ guy here... My advice is to not do the hose rinse because of our extremely hard water. You will get water spots from drips from mirrors, trunk, door weep holes. Use distilled water with ONR and not only will you be amazed at the shine, but you'll have absolutely no water spots.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    rudedog,
    That sounds like a good plan. Going to give this a try tomorrow. Thank for the help everyone

Dale

Post Thanks / Like

Wanted to update this thread... Yesterday I did my 1st rinse-less wash (twice! )
    I used mainly the "Garry Dean" method, however used ONR, instead of his product.
    Wow, I was impressed! It was so easy to do. I really liked the fact I could easily do it inside my garage & out of the sun. (It was over 100 yesterday)
    I think I'm going to like this method. The car came out looking perfect!

I used 1.5 oz of ONR in about 2.5 gallons of water an some new soft Microfiber towels.
    I also pre-treated the surface with a spay bottle mixed with 24oz water & 1oz of ONR.

This car is small (MX-5 Miata) so next time I think I can get by with even less water. I also tried out my new Waffle Weave towel for drying. WOW!

Thanks to everyone here for the suggestions and for teaching this dog a new trick in car washing.

Oh... Why twice in one day??? Well, a spring on my garage door broke later in the day. I had a service guy come over and replace the springs. I went inside the house to get something and came back out to find him in the garage spraying some type of lubricant onto all the rollers, hinges and springs.... Well, my garage was filled with this "oil mist" and you guessed it..... IT was all over my freshly detailed black car! Damn!

Got out the buckets and towels and washed it again. It came out just as good as the 1st time! NO problems!

Dale - AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Wanted to update this thread... Yesterday I did my 1st rinse-less wash (twice! )
    I used mainly the "Garry Dean" method, however used ONR, instead of his product.
    Wow, I was impressed! It was so easy to do. I really liked the fact I could easily do it inside my garage & out of the sun. (It was over 100 yesterday)
    I think I'm going to like this method. The car came out looking perfect!

I used 1.5 oz of ONR in about 2.5 gallons of water an some new soft Microfiber towels.
    I also pre-treated the surface with a spay bottle mixed with 24oz water & 1oz of ONR.

This car is small (MX-5 Miata) so next time I think I can get by with even less water. I also tried out my new Waffle Weave towel for drying. WOW!

Thanks to everyone here for the suggestions and for teaching this dog a new trick in car washing.

Oh... Why twice in one day??? Well, a spring on my garage door broke later in the day. I had a service guy come over and replace the springs. I went inside the house to get something and came back out to find him in the garage spraying some type of lubricant onto all the rollers, hinges and springs.... Well, my garage was filled with this "oil mist" and you guessed it..... IT was all over my freshly detailed black car! Damn!

Got out the buckets and towels and washed it again. It came out just as good as the 1st time! NO problems!

Dale - AZ
    Excellent, glad it worked out for you. I only use a gallon on water and .5oz of ONR now with the Gary Dean method, and I still have solution left over.

I agree with the previous poster, I would avoid using the hose at all, unless absolutely necessary. In this heat, you are asking for more trouble than it is worth. I did that exact thing a few weeks ago, I decided would hose the dust off my car, then sheet the car, then ONR. ONR does not do a very good job of removing hard water spots, I ended up having to use a cleaner wax to remove the spots. If the car is heavily dusted, dust it with a California Duster (be sure to use it properly), then ONR. With your can being a garage queen, you shouldn't have to do many traditional washes.

I hope I never have wash my car any other way, though I know it is inevitable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast