autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Uber Compound straight to Deep Gloss Paint Sealant?

If I use Uber compound and am satisfied with the results, enough to apply my LSP, WDGPS, would I need some sort of wipe down/eraser after the Uber compound?

I figure that since they are synergistic, the oils in uber would not interfere with the bonding of DGPS. Then again, I know that most sealants need "bare paint" to adhere properly.

Another question that's been bugging me is that when I work uber, I prime by covering the pad completely with my finger spreading the product all over the face and then add 3 pea sized drops. I work a 12x12 section and do about 6 passes up and down and then 6 left to right. The product is supposed to turn clear, correct? I have not really seen it turn clear. It's more of a hazy milky look that makes me believe it's not completely broken down.

Regardless, both Uber and DGPS have worked very well for me. I'm just wondering if I can skip a wipe down and if I've been working the product properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wolfgang Uber Compound straight to Deep Gloss Paint Sealant?

I cannot say with certain about synergism regarding those products, I may risk you can do it, but again, I'm not certain.

About your use of Uber, I work it differently.

I use straight 'Smack's Technique', and the variations 'I've created of it'. By variations, I mean, although we may get many info on forums, it's important to understand the reasoning underlying what you're doing and not just 'Reproduce' a technique. I add those concepts to the way I work.

Here we go:

Copied from the original thread:
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...brid-pads.html

'When starting with a fresh new pad regardless of color choice or Menzerna selection is to first prime the pad with one mist of a pad conditioner or equivalent and then 4-6 dime sized dots of product depending on the size of the pad and area to be worked.

With the pad primed and ready to work with I set the speed dial accordingly to my options above, gently pull the trigger enough to activate the machine (basically speed 1) and do one brisk full coverage section pass in the section that I am going to work to spread the product out with only the weight of the machine.

Once the product has been spread out I squeeze the trigger fully to operate the polisher at the selected speed on the dial and start my normal routine of compounding or polishing with moderate to heavy pressure depending on what’s needed.

I also like to work Menzerna products longer such as 6-8 passes instead of the normal 4-6. When I get to the last 2 passes I ease up and only use the weight of the machine to finish.

When I am finished with the section that was just worked there should only be a very thin and clear residue left to wipe up which is a breeze to remove.

After the section was compounded or polished my method to cleaning the pad “on the fly” is to brush the face of the pad with a pad brush or mf towel while the pad is at rest. I don’t hold the brush and spin the pad against it as I feel this accelerates the wear of the pad.

When I am ready for the next section to be polished I will simply add the dimed sized drops of product without the pad conditioner as the pad has been in use and is seasoned.

Uber Compound is a product that works very closely to FG400. That said, the technique for FG400 may be plentiful adapted for Uber Compound use.

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

No need for IPA between these two products

Post Thanks / Like

What color paint? Not sure I could ever bring myself to go from compound straight to LSP. My OCD will not allow it!

If you have no major defects, why not just use a light polish to amp up the gloss and the apply WDGPS?

Post Thanks / Like

It is said that:
    There are technologically-advanced, modern-day compounds that: given the proper machine, pads, technique (among other factors), will finish LSP ready.

I take that as the person doing the buffing is satisfied with their compound's results.

Hopefully your compounding session with "Uber" goes well enough (satisfies you) to immediately follow up with the WGDGPS---an "uber-Sealant", if there ever was one!!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

On my dark blue metallic 2013 VW, Uber compound surprisingly will finish "nearly" lsp ready. Ready enough for a daily driver at least, that gets 30k miles yearly.