autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY LED Work Light (much better than halogen!)

LED's are awesome, does get a bit "too bright" and you have to temper your expectations if you aren't going for 100%. Stronger than the sun!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Since all of you people bought the Lowe's bulbs and drove them away from every store I've had to seek replacements for a couple new lights I am building...

I just bought this 4 pack of Par38 LEDs from Amazon... $47 ($11.75/bulb)... 5000k daylight color temp... 1280 lumen @ 40 degree angle (compared to 1400 lumen at 38 degree output angle of the original bulbs I used, so very similar and much cheaper).

They just arrived today, and I will experiment with them over the coming weeks and post my feedback.
    I just recieved mine in the mail this weekend and I want to thank you very much for this DIY. The only thing I did not follow to the letter was when it came down to the stand. For the money, the one you posted had lots of reviews about how flimsy they were and I didn't feel like dealing with that. I like to make one purchase and be done with it. So I got the lightstand that came with a boom arm and let me tell you, I am one happy camper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s01

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great!

Retired Professional Detailer

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Sorry that my phone turned into a potato when I took those last shots. But MAN are these things bright and they show ALL OF THE THINGS. Word of caution: Be prepared to adjust your expectations because you will lose your mind at all of the defects and areas that you never knew existed on a car that could get dirty. I turned it on and within 30 seconds of looking at my wifes car, I turned it right back off and closed the garage, then went upstairs and had a stiff drink thinking about everything I have ever done wrong in life.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol!

That sounds about right. If you haven't used bright LEDs for inspection, these are certainly eye opening.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Dude, I am totally a novice when it comes to this and have been learning as much as I can from you and the rest of the awesome talent I see on here as noted by my post today.

Post Your Unpacking Pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Lol!

That sounds about right. If you haven't used bright LEDs for inspection, these are certainly eye opening.

have u had a chance to try out the new bulbs for a comparison vs the old ones?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by donbeezy View Post
    have u had a chance to try out the new bulbs for a comparison vs the old ones?
    I've spent a little time with the new bulbs this past weekend.

I can't tell a difference in brightness/color/performance... they work great!

There is a major difference in weight. The amazon bulbs are MUCH lighter, and therefore put much less strain on the bulb holder. I don't think these bulbs will cause nearly the same amount of problems with the holder not being able to provide enough clamping force to hold them horizontally without drooping. So far I would highly recommend the cheaper bulbs from amazon!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for comparison! I used my set up last weekend and I swear it was making me chase every defect possible. my next upgrade is to put it on a dolly

Post Thanks / Like

That's funny...the toughest thing about having proper work lights is re-learning when to stop working a particular area, and it will also expose every bit of marring you leave behind...that you had absolutely no idea you were leaving.

I do a lot of production buffing, and I still do it to this day - I cringe when I see what it still left even though the car would need to be perfectly clean, parked in the biggest empty parking lot with the sun in the perfect spot in the sky to ever see the marks. It's also much harder to feel good about your work - that takes some adjusting. At times I feel like my quality of work has dropped significantly until I get to do a 2nd outdoor inspection...but I rarely get to see my completed work the next day and the ego takes a bruising until the next time. I still prefer halogens, I feel like the reflectors produce a better light for dark vehicles, but I may try constructing my own reflector housing for my LEDs.

Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast