autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY LED Work Light (much better than halogen!)

Here are examples I took of single diode vs multi diode at Home Depot today.

This EcoSmart bulb was available a while back (one of the recommended bulbs on a thread on Autopia), but started coming as a multi diode up until I guess very recently.

EcoSmart PAR38, 5000K, Single-Diode

This is a Philips PAR38, but only 3000K, I couldn't find any 5000K, but just an example of Multi-Diode

I have the Utilitech bulb from Lowes, which looks like the EcoSmart..

Post Thanks / Like

I highly doubt that Ecosmart bulb only has a single LED, I think if you took that apart you would find at least as many as the Philips bulb under that lens. And I say that as someone who has taken apart a failed Ecosmart bulb (different style).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I highly doubt that Ecosmart bulb only has a single LED, I think if you took that apart you would find at least as many as the Philips bulb under that lens. And I say that as someone who has taken apart a failed Ecosmart bulb (different style).
    That could very well be, but I think the fact the diodes are clustered closely together in the center that it forms a single source of light.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    It is the same simple stud that is found at the top of the stand... they just added one on the bottom leg as well for lighting backdrops for photography...

Thanks zac, I got everything except the bulbs now.
    I found similar bulbs but only have 600lm, only half the spec of utilitech so I will search more.
    Started back in 2006 reading Mike. P posts and lots of practices, ended up writing a book

Kappy

Battle of the Bulbs

I bought a Utilitech and an Ecosmart bulb for comparison.

Both bulbs are Par38, 5000K, with the Utilitech rated at 1400 lumens and the EcoSmart rated at 1300 lumens.

I tested the bulbs in my garage on my black car, first without any additional light, then with the ceiling fluorescent light added, and finally with the garage door open to add some natural daylight. I also tried them in a dark room, with the light shining on the wall.

When looking at the car, if there's any difference in the amount of the light that's generated from either bulb, it was so subtle that I couldn't see it. I thought maybe one light would have more spread than the other but I couldn't detect that either. It's possible that when comparing two of the same bulbs, instead of one of each, there would be more of a noticeable difference in brightness and coverage, or that the distance of the light from the car or the angle might change the results.

It's not until I looked at the light shining on a wall that I could really see any difference between the bulbs. At a distance of 2 feet, the Utilitech appears to have a slightly brighter center, and the light appeared just a little whiter to me. I don't know if it's a result of the Utilitech having a higher lumens rating or the construction of the bulb itself, and the difference was less noticeable the further I moved the lights from the wall. I also don't know if it's a good test to compare the lights reflecting off of a flat wall to lights reflecting off of a car, but it's the only way I could see a difference.

Here are some pictures to show the faces and backs of each bulb. The Utiliitech is on the right and the EcoSmart is on the left when viewing the faces, and it's the reverse when viewing the backs. It could be that the open back design on the Utiltech helps to disburse the heat better than the closed back on the EcoSmart.

Cost is virtually the same for either bulb. There's a 2 year warranty for the Utilitech versus 5 years for the EcoSmart. Initially I was leaning towards the EcoSmart because of the warranty, but I think that the whiter light from the Utiltech might be an advantage, especially with two bulbs. I'm going to do some more testing over the next few days to see if there's a change in the results, and to wait for the spots in my eyes to clear up.

If anyone else is in the mood to compare bulbs, both packages were next to impossible to open, especially if you want to try to keep it in good condition in case of a return. I managed to get the Utilitech bulb out of the package with very little damage, but the packaging for the EcoSmart from Home Depot is destroyed. I asked someone at Home Depot about this before I bought the bulb and he said to do whatever it takes to open it, and just bring back the bulb and the packaging in pieces, if I decide to return it. They are constantly sending back bulbs and bits of packaging to the manufacturers, and maybe someday they'll get smarter and find a package that's more user friendly.

One suggestion if you use this type of stand. I find that if you turn the stand so a single leg is centered directly below the two bulbs, it seems to be more stable. You can still knock it over backwards if not careful, but I think it's less top-heavy this way.

Post Thanks / Like

So I have to be the Philips bulb guinea pig?

Kappy

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    So I have to be the Philips bulb guinea pig?
    If the stand had three sockets I probably would have bought a Philips bulb as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'll buy one to start.

Post Thanks / Like

Kappy--I found if you position the light stand with two legs toward the car with the third straight out the back and put a small weight (I use a sand bag, but anything would work) over the single leg to the rear the stand becomes much more stable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 281 View Post
    So I found this cool attachment to for the stand at the beginning of the thread:

Amazon.com : CowboyStudio Photography Gorilla Clamp Studio Mount : Photographic Light Mounting Hardware : Camera & Photo

Going to get this attachment; thanks!

Also, thanks zmcgovern45 for showing this setup as I know nothing about photography and didn't even think of using this type of equipment--just got mine put together today and love it already. Couldn't stand using halogens and the husky LEDs...

I see you're from Illinois--not sure if I met you at the recent detailing meet or not...Anyways, thanks again.

*Nice IS as well. I had a BO IS300, then went with a STI and CTS, now back with my first love: an IS--specifically IS350 F-Sport.

Page 11 of 41 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast