autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: CQUK Fail! How do I remove it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    You need to flip to a fresh side of your towel or use multiple towels when wiping off the residue. Otherwise the spent product on the towel will cause streaking.
    +1 very true

however, most people think buying a kit will have enough tools to apply it as well as to buffer it. It would be good to be informed before buying the guide, that 1 suede towel is not enough for the entire car.

Most newbies who start polishing their car, are not able to finish it, because of lack of tools they were not expected. Instructions are one thing, but missing some tools or unusable ones is kind of irritating, because you have to wait for shipping. Like you polished your car, fine, but then you don't have tools to seal it. So what do you do? You delay, and meanwhile you can't use the car without protection. What if you use your car without protection, well then add extra hours to clean back your car.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like user error. sorry to be blunt. CQUK is insanely easy to apply and remove. you just need to really follow the directions and wipe it on, wipe it off. I personally dont even wait between application and removal. one panel at a time.

CarPro could really use better directions on the bottle. I know the bottle is small so I think they should include an instruction page along with the product.

Post Thanks / Like

Today was the first time i used CQUK... I have used many different coatings before, none have ever given me this much of a hard time.

Anyways,
    1. Eraser Wipe down
    2. Few drops and apply, separated my hood into 3's. After each section i done i wipe off.

So when i go wipe it off, it'd look good with my T8 lighting in my garage.
    But when i hold my Flex swirl finder light, i can see the coating smearing as i wipe, however they are SUPER HARD to buff off cleanly.

I was told that is the cquk is when is curing, so i go and proceed with other panels, and check back about an hour later. The "smearing" was still there when i tried wiping it.....

Needless to say, i SPEND HOURS to get all that smearing off my paint. Hopefully i didn't remove the coating by wiping it so many times.

Post Thanks / Like
    CQUK can bite you in the butt big time. The first time I used it was a disaster due to several variables. It also darkened my tint coat to the point of making it look like single stage paint. After hours of polishing I threw the remaining product as far as I could throw it. Boy was I pis***. One lesson learned was never put a coating on a car you really care about until you practice on a beater or two or three.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of using CQUK on my next car (whenever I replace my current DD/beater '01 Altima), but this thread scares me. Sheesh.

The application looked so easy in Zach's write-up on DI and in Corey's video .
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Well I don't think I ever updated with what I ended up with. After the first serious fail I called Corey and he gave me some real good advice. So I decided to try again. I went over the whole car with Reflect and a white pad to get rid of all the streaks and smudges. Following Corey's advice I applied the CQUK again and it came out much better but I still had a few areas that had streaks that I just couldn't wipe off. So I went back over them with the Reflect again but very very lightly and one pass at a time until they were gone hoping that I wouldn't remove the coating. After that I was really tired of messing with it and it looked really good so I left it alone.
    About a week later I washed it and it sheeted water really good so I thought I was good to go. But then about a month and a half and 4 or 5 washes later it wasn't sheeting or beading water at all so I said the heck with it and threw 2 coats of Fuzion on it. It looks great and beads water like crazy now but when it cools down I think I'm going to polish it again and get rid of everything and hit it with the Duragloss 601/105/501/111 triple play. I've read so many good things about the DG that I really want to try it.

Now on another note, I bought some new wheels and went round and round in my head 100 times about trying the CQUK again on the wheels and so I decided to try it. I put it on the wheels and it came out great! I'm very happy I did it. A couple of things were different and I think that's why my results were better, much smaller area to work and I did them in my house in the A/C at about 72* instead of a 90*+ garage.

I totally agree it was user error and I agree with Silverfox to practice on something you don't care as much about. I'm sure with some more practice I could lay it down just fine and I probably shouldn't have tried this on my brand new car.

I don't really know why I wanted to do it anyway, I did want to really protect my paint but I love trying different products and I have an almost full tub of Fuzion I thought I would never get to use again. I don't really think a coating is for me, if all I had to do was wash my car I would probably get bored with it. I love rubbing things on the paint and looking at how good they look.

So anyway, Thanks everyone for your help and advice, I learned a lot from this and if I ever decide to try a coating again I think it will come out much better.
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S2K View Post
    A couple of things were different and I think that's why my results were better, much smaller area to work and I did them in my house in the A/C at about 72* instead of a 90*+ garage.
    This is why you had so much trouble originally. Temps at anything beyond 85* and you are going to have a nightmare of a time with CQUK. No matter how thick you apply it, it's going to flash almost instantly and will be increasingly difficult to wipe off.

You're going to love it on the wheels! I love doing maintenance washes on client's vehicles with coated wheels. 90% of the dirt and brake dust literally rinses away with water.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad i am not the only one with problems regard to cquk....
    I just hope i won't see any smear/streak when i pull my car out to the sun

Post Thanks / Like

Old thread. Never mind
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionDetail View Post
    Today was the first time i used CQUK... I have used many different coatings before, none have ever given me this much of a hard time.

Anyways,
    1. Eraser Wipe down
    2. Few drops and apply, separated my hood into 3's. After each section i done i wipe off.

So when i go wipe it off, it'd look good with my T8 lighting in my garage.
    But when i hold my Flex swirl finder light, i can see the coating smearing as i wipe, however they are SUPER HARD to buff off cleanly.

I was told that is the cquk is when is curing, so i go and proceed with other panels, and check back about an hour later. The "smearing" was still there when i tried wiping it.....

Needless to say, i SPEND HOURS to get all that smearing off my paint. Hopefully i didn't remove the coating by wiping it so many times.
    You were working with a section that is too large. In hot temperatures, 18" by 18" MAX. You need to apply thick (15ml per coat), and use the CarPro Suede towels to wipe-off. I usually use two Suede towels - one to wipe-off, and a second clean one to do a final wipe.

The applicator suedes will also need to be replaced at every other panel, or else you'll get instant streaking.

There is no need to "wait," apply with quick/fast strokes and then wipe-off right away.

Keep trying - it is a phenomenal product once properly applied. It took me a few cars to get it right.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast