autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation God hates me!! well trucks certainly do lol

I was driving back from work and a truck kicked up a good sized rock and it hit my front bumper. Naturally I panicked and cried for about 5 hours then I set off to fix it. So here's my plan, im going to first sand the area down with either 1000 or 3000 grit (problably 3000 just to be safe) sandpaper. then im gonna spray some wax on the area to keep the touchup paint from getting on the surrounding area. Once the wax is applied I will use the toothpicks and some isoprohel alcohol to remove the wax just from the affected area. then I will prep, add the color coat, then add the clear coat. (the dupli color touch up en I got apparently has all three steps in the pen. and it matches my factory candy white finish.) then I will use a blow dryer on low to help the area dry. once its dried. I will inspect and sand it down with 3000 grit if needed. after which I would have to compound polish and wax the area. Now that's my plan. what I would like to know is if any of you would do it differently or use a different product or even grit of paper. I want this fixed the best way possible.

Took the best pictures that I could
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails God hates me!! well trucks certainly do lol-dscn1232-jpg   God hates me!! well trucks certainly do lol-dscn1234-jpg   God hates me!! well trucks certainly do lol-dscn1235-jpg   God hates me!! well trucks certainly do lol-dscn1236-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: God hates me!! well trucks certainly do lol

A rock or Wolverine?! lol

Me thinks this is going to be a good turn around. Can't wait for the after pics.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a painful cut....as for your plan of attack it sounds great I could not word it any better keep us posted

Post Thanks / Like

God does`nt hate anyone.Maybe the road but not God.
    "Chrome wheeled, fuel injected and steppin' out over the line"

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeez, looks like more of a boulder than a rock! Sucks man, I'm in a similar situation right now and wondering what to do. Lucky mine did not pass the primer. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest that you not get in a big rush in painting. I have found that the paint "shrinks" a little as it dries. Building up thin layers and waiting in between coats a day or two has worked out well for me. As you hear from everyone, start with the least aggressive method with the sanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to your update and good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very sad time, well actually a sad and happy time. I was all set to fix the pretty severe gash on the bottom of my bumper on my 2013 VW GTI in Candy White. I had purchased a color match kit from dupli-color. but Im happy I researched it more before I used it and everyone who has used it, even those that worked at stores that sell it, have said its horrible and not worth it. So I am in need of help, I need to know where I can get factory perfect clear coat and factory perfect color for my VW GTI. Trying to make that gash disappear. I know I could go to a dealership for it, but I have a feeling I'd get a hiked up price for it. So i'm open to looking around first to find a better deal. I'm begging you people, help me out.