autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Parking in Public Places

Morning everyone-
    What are everyones thoughts on parking in public places?
    Do you park like miles away?
    My wife thinks Im crazy.

Going to the luke bryan concert in bristow, va in 2 fridays, usually take the wifes jeep to concerts, but really want to get the truck on the road, but concerned about parking, people scratching the truck, etc.

What would y'all do?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Parking in Public Places

I like keeping an eye on my vehicles...if at all possible.

So:
    -I'd find out if one of the local FM stations was simulcasting the concert,
    and tune in to that station.

-Then park within a reasonable walking distance of the Porta-Potties.

-And sit on the lawn chairs beside my Honey, in the back of the pick-up;
    open up the iced-down coolers; and have a few cold ones...
    far, far away from the maddening crowd.

I've often "seen and heard" better acts this way...
    Than the ones on some stage somewhere!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    I park so far away, sometimes it's faster if I just walk to the destination from my house.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a website dedicated to the art of parking.

Welcome to Parking By Design

Basically, every car has a driver (for now) but not always a passenger. Most pull in forward (and not reverse in, save for some people who shouldn't be reversing into spots and do a 12 point turn to get into a spot) so parking on the most right side of a parking lot and parking space should minimize danger to your car (though children in the back come from both sides and are usually the ones who will ding your car the most).

There is also other strategies on it, rating different spots for how well they protect your car. Like parking on the upslope instead of downslope of the parking lot. Some people can't manage gravity very well and it will assist them in dinging your car.

Large venues are always dangerous no matter what though. Last night at a 5K my girlfriend was running in (she drove) had people parked so close to each other that there was no way people didn't hit the car next to them when they got out. Then you have people walking between the cars rubbing against them potentially scratching.

If you can find a spot like you should be good though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I park at the end of every parking lot I enter. Sometimes I just have to sacrifice and park wherever I need to at the moment; it's a hard feeling though

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't park far away. I usually just try to at least park next to someone the knows how to park a vehicle between two lines. Sometime I park in the front spot and will park as far away from the next spot over. I realized that there is no stopping people from being stupid and messing up your possessions.

When I had my old POS daily driver that I really didn't care about, I used to park right on top of the people that couldn't park straight. I was parked right but because they weren't, they sometimes probably couldn't even get into their cars I was parked so close.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I believe in doing what I can to keep my vehicles in the best condition possible therefore I park a distance away and walk. In addition to less chance of damage to my vehicles, I get some exercise walking. I park in the "prime" parking places when possible.

I DON'T straddle the white lines and take up two parking spaces. Not only is this crazy but also it is likely your vehicle will get keyed. While I would never do this there are plenty of jerks out there who would.
    Last edited by SANTA3013; 05-18-2014 at 09:15 AM. Reason: Add wording
    2008 Toyota Tacoma 410,000 miles and still going strong.

Post Thanks / Like

I always park far away to minimize the chance of anything happening. My car stays safe, I get exercise, and I get to judge all the other cars in the lot and witness all the parking atrocities as I walk to my destination, further justifying my decision.

You could always hunt around on something like Google Maps as well to find other areas to park like nearby parking garages or big box stores if you just have to scratch that itch and unleash the Ram.

But if you're the least bit concerned, don't do it. Rock out in the Jeep and come up with a reason to drive the truck another time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dsg03gt View Post
    When I had my old POS daily driver that I really didn't care about, I used to park right on top of the people that couldn't park straight. I was parked right but because they weren't, they sometimes probably couldn't even get into their cars I was parked so close.
    Always wanted to do that, maybe when I have enough money to maintain a junker. Find a person double parked and fit my car in one of the spaces he was intruding on. Make him get into his car from the passenger side... Mmmmmm.

Post Thanks / Like

In grocery store parking lots that have a slight grade, I park uphill to avoid the runaway carts.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast