autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you dilute spray wax?

I have a bottle of NXT Spray wax. I have never liked it, I always thought it was hard to use and streaked. Can I dilute it and make a QD out of it?
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Mike Phillips

Re: Can you dilute spray wax?

Quote Originally Posted by Coopers ST View Post
    I have a bottle of NXT Spray wax. I have never liked it, I always thought it was hard to use and streaked. Can I dilute it and make a QD out of it?

I'd say "no".

I don't think most spray waxes are as simple in formulation as to be able to simply add water to them and then somehow have it mix into a usable product.

I could be wrong though as I'm not a chemist.

Years ago I wrote an article on how to correctly use a spray wax, try this....

Apply to clean vehicle
    First you need to start with a clean car, you can either wash and dry the car or wipe the car clean using a mist and wipe spray detailer.

Use a dampened microfiber polishing cloth or wax applicator pad
    Next mist the spray wax onto the surface and spread the product around using a clean, plush microfiber polishing cloth folded 4-ways, or a clean wax applicator pad and here's the secret, before starting first dampen your microfiber polishing cloth or wax applicator pad with spray wax.

Apply to entire vehicle
    Start at one section of the vehicle and continue applying Ultimate Quik Wax using your dampened applicator pad or dampened microfiber polishing cloth until the entire car is covered with a thin coating of wax.

Allow the thin coating of spray wax to flash dry.
    In normal temperatures and humidity a spray wax will dry in just a few moments and will be ready to wipe off.

Follow your path of travel
    Wipe off the dried wax by starting where you first applied the product and then follow your path of travel gently and carefully wiping the dried residue off the paint.

Use a separate, clean dry microfiber polishing cloth folded 4 ways to remove the dried film of wax. Using a microfiber polishing cloth folded 4-ways provides a thick plush wiping cloth that helps to spread the pressure of your hand out over the surface of the cloth and gives you 8 sides to wipe with.

The secret explained
    The reason a dampened cloth or applicator pad works best is because it's easier to spread out a thin liquid film if your applicator cloth is already wet or damp with the product you're trying to spread out.

If you use a dry cloth to try to spread out a thin, liquid film then at the same time you're trying to spread the product onto the surface the dry cloth is trying to remove or absorb the product off the paint.

Because a dry cloth absorbs liquids, trying to use a dry cloth to spread a liquid will in essence result in you fighting yourself in the process of trying to spread and leave a liquid on the paint.

That's the secret or the correct technique for making it easy to apply a thin coating of a spray-on wax.

Maybe that will help....

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mike. Spray on waxes don't really last that long, so even if it were appropriate to dilute the solution, I suspect it would be less protective and last less. But, why don't you set up your own experiment?

Take a panel on your car and spray one section with the manufacturer's provided dilution and spray the other section with a 1:1 dilution.

Test your results in terms of 1) immediate sheeting/beading capacity, 2) 1 week sheeting/beading and 3) 2 weeks sheeting/beading.

Also, compare the depth of shine and note any more/less streaking or difficulty/ease of application.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

WOW thank you Mike, I will try that method before I toss the stuff.
    Kevin, I wasn't thinking in terms of protection from it just using it as a quick detailer as I find it is so hard to work. I have had it a few years and never really liked it, thought this would be a way to use it up as I have it. As for beading, with the two coats of Wolfgang deep gloss sealant and one of Megs 26 that were just applied in the last couple days not sure I would notice any difference.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch

Post Thanks / Like

Gotcha.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like

NXT Spray wax might be one of the worst Meguiars products of all time and the worst spray wax on the market. I am surprised they still make it. I do not like to bash products, but that stuff is downright horrible. Mikes method might help, but otherwise I recommend toss that stuff, or even call Meguiars and express your dissapointment with that product, they might send you a substitute. NXT Spray wax is the only product I have ever thrown away before I came close to finishing it! I had it, I tried it so many ways and found it nearly impossible to remove.

As bad as NXT Spray wax is, is as good as Ultimate Quik Wax is. I also recomment XMT Spray Wax. Spray waxes should go on easy, wipe off with no effort, leave no residue and a nice streak free shine behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    NXT Spray wax might be one of the worst Meguiars products of all time and the worst spray wax on the market. I am surprised they still make it. I do not like to bash products, but that stuff is downright horrible. Mikes method might help, but otherwise I recommend toss that stuff, or even call Meguiars and express your dissapointment with that product, they might send you a substitute. NXT Spray wax is the only product I have ever thrown away before I came close to finishing it! I had it, I tried it so many ways and found it nearly impossible to remove.

As bad as NXT Spray wax is, is as good as Ultimate Quik Wax is. I also recomment XMT Spray Wax. Spray waxes should go on easy, wipe off with no effort, leave no residue and a nice streak free shine behind.
    The worst thing is I have had it for a few years and only have 15-20 sprays out of it. It streaks, doesn't come out evenly, is hard to get off, I get frustrated with it after one panel and give up.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if putting into a decent spray bottle might help...

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with dampening the towel with product first, however I do not apply UQW to the whole car and then buff off, as per Mike's post above.

I apply and buff off one panel at a time. It flashes so fast and leaves hardly anything behind, so I believe this is the best method. It has certainly worked for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davey g-force View Post
    I apply and buff off one panel at a time. It flashes so fast and leaves hardly anything behind, so I believe this is the best method. It has certainly worked for me!
    That is what I do also.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast