autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

dull spot from hand polish

so my son got a new black Q50.
    noticed 2 light scratches on the back bumper so i got out some xmt and just hand polished
    them out, but now if someone behind him shines there lights on the bumper at night you can see 2 dull spots. I didnt hit it with wax yet but not sure if there really should be a dull spot like that. any ideas if i did something wrong or y i have these 2 spots now

Post Thanks / Like

Re: dull spot from hand polish

Which polish?
    What did you use to polish, foam applicator?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelzntoys View Post
    Which polish?
    What did you use to polish, foam applicator?
    xmt fine swirl remover 2 and the ccs euro foam hand applicator. i think the orange one

Post Thanks / Like

You're going to have to sell it now. Seriously, you'll need a finer polish and softer pad to bring back the shine. The dullness is from micro marring unless you went through the clear coat which is easy enough to do. Some pictures might help out to know what's going on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hazcat View Post
    You're going to have to sell it now. Seriously, you'll need a finer polish and softer pad to bring back the shine. The dullness is from micro marring unless you went through the clear coat which is easy enough to do. Some pictures might help out to know what's going on.
    Na i dont think i went through the clear. i only did it by hand and didnt rub that hard.
    if you look at it in the day you dont even see it. only when its dark and a light hits it.
    Im wondering if maybe i just took the wax off and now u see the difference where i polished?
    Or maybe the pad was a little to dry and i should have primed it a little

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone else have any idea y i got these 2 dull spots only seen at night with lights hitting them

Post Thanks / Like

The vehicle could still have the dealer wax on it and you took it off. If you dont think you took of the clear, wipe it down with some IPA and polish the panel. If it goes away... I'd continue on the rest of the car.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by asalesagent

so my son got a new black Q50.
    Here's something I wrote about as it relates to a brand new 2014 Audi I worked on recently.

Don't know if this is the same type of paint that was on this Audi Q5 but I absolutely hated the paint on the Audi Q5 and would not only not ever offer to detail one, as in remove the swirls out of the paint on one of these cars I would recommend to people that LIKE to do their own car detailing to avoid this car or be ready for a lifetime of misery. Absolutely horrible paint.

noticed 2 light scratches on the back bumper so i got out some xmt and just hand polished them out, but now if someone behind him shines there lights on the bumper at night you can see 2 dull spots.

I didnt hit it with wax yet but not sure if there really should be a dull spot like that. any ideas if i did something wrong or y i have these 2 spots now
    A coat of wax or sealant will probably clear up the paint to make it look better.

the ccs euro foam hand applicator. i think the orange one

That orange foam is a cutting foam, just rubbing it over a scratch-sensitive clearcoat finish could leave dull spots.

The XMT line is specifically for machine polishing, not hand polishing could be if you want to hand polish to get a product that states it can be used by hand.

IF you're son wants to take care of the paint on that Audi while he owns it I'd highly recommend he gets a dual action polisher like the PC. Then get some 5.5" foam pads and a 5" backing plate to use them with the polisher.

When it comes to black paint and especially any type of black paint that's difficult to work on I recommend getting the best abrasive technology you can obtain and for this Audi I'd get the Wolfgang Uber Compound and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze at a minimum. If you really want a versatile range of products get the medium cut polish to, that's the Total Swirl Remover.

The Wolfgang Four

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Here's something I wrote about as it relates to a brand new 2014 Audi I worked on recently.

Don't know if this is the same type of paint that was on this Audi Q5 but I absolutely hated the paint on the Audi Q5 and would not only not ever offer to detail one, as in remove the swirls out of the paint on one of these cars I would recommend to people that LIKE to do their own car detailing to avoid this car or be ready for a lifetime of misery. Absolutely horrible paint.

A coat of wax or sealant will probably clear up the paint to make it look better.

That orange foam is a cutting foam, just rubbing it over a scratch-sensitive clearcoat finish could leave dull spots.

The XMT line is specifically for machine polishing, not hand polishing could be if you want to hand polish to get a product that states it can be used by hand.

IF you're son wants to take care of the paint on that Audi while he owns it I'd highly recommend he gets a dual action polisher like the PC. Then get some 5.5" foam pads and a 5" backing plate to use them with the polisher.

When it comes to black paint and especially any type of black paint that's difficult to work on I recommend getting the best abrasive technology you can obtain and for this Audi I'd get the Wolfgang Uber Compound and Wolfgang Finishing Glaze at a minimum. If you really want a versatile range of products get the medium cut polish to, that's the Total Swirl Remover.

The Wolfgang Four

I have the flex. I didnt realize xmt was just for machine polishing. I just used it because i figured it was a light polish and i didnt want to use anything heavy on it because it is a new car. I really want to put a coating on the car for him but after those 2 dull spots i was afraid to do any polishing with it. i have fg400 and megs 205 and this xmt. what would you recomend to polish this car. im just looking to strip this wax that the dealer put on. it doesnt have any scratches or swirls. I have the car pro eracer and cquartz uk. but i assume i have to machine polish first to get that wax off. thanks mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asalesagent912 View Post
    I have the flex. I didnt realize xmt was just for machine polishing. I just used it because i figured it was a light polish and i didnt want to use anything heavy on it because it is a new car. I really want to put a coating on the car for him but after those 2 dull spots i was afraid to do any polishing with it. i have fg400 and megs 205 and this xmt. what would you recomend to polish this car. im just looking to strip this wax that the dealer put on. it doesnt have any scratches or swirls. I have the car pro eracer and cquartz uk. but i assume i have to machine polish first to get that wax off. thanks mike
    Sorry bye the way it acually q50 infinity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast