autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Some Questions..

I was detailing our minivan this weekend. 2003 dodge grand caravan. It is red, has heavy swrils/scratches.

Anyways, I was wondering if some cars don’t like certain pads:
    I’m using LC pads.. The white polishing one was what I started with. I tried SSR1, 2.5 and Menzerna 106ff. Now I know it’s not the pad/polish combos because on the Lancer a couple weeks ago the white pad and ssr1 pulled out with no problem. So I’m just wondering if some cars are like that where certain pads don’t work????

I ended up using my orange pad and ssr2.5/3 then passed ssr1 (what a pain)!

Ok so aside from that I’m wondering also about the porter cable 7424 and LC pads after using for a while. The machine wasn’t too hot but after say like half the car the pads didn’t turn the same. TO describe this; the white pad at 6k is very hard to stop.. but it ended up stopped with barely any pressure. I know the pads gum up at times but it seemed clean. The only thing I can’t think of is too much detail spray? So if anyone has insight i would really appreciate it, will def help next detail.

Thanks for reading..

- Matteo

Post Thanks / Like
    The clear coat on your DODGE caravan is a lot harder, thats why it didnt work. You need a stronger combo. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...toughness.html

I actually dont prime my pad. Dont see a need to. Im sure your pad got a lot heavier with all the QD you were using, thus making it harder to spin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Auto Detailing
    The clear coat on your DODGE caravan is a lot harder, thats why it didnt work. You need a stronger combo. http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...toughness.html

I actually dont prime my pad. Dont see a need to. Im sure your pad got a lot heavier with all the QD you were using, thus making it harder to spin.

Thanks dan, yea i wish i read it before took me a long ass time to break out 90% of scratches and swrils.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I should put the Caravan on the list too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Auto Detailing
    I guess I should put the Caravan on the list too!
    Hehe..great list. Yea well im new at this so i didnt want to jump with a cutting pad. SSR3 + orange pad worked well but you gotta be carefull that stuffs like sand paper! (had bad exp with it before lol)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, our Plymouth Voyager Expresso- essentially the same car, you know Plymouth an Dodge- - dark green metallic - came out very, very nicely with ssr 2.5 with an orange lc pad. I finished with ssr 1 and a white pad, but it was not necessary. That car has some nice paint, i thought. Nothing compared to the gosh darn vette. I am surprised.
    Good luck with it.
    And yah, I used the xmt pad conditioner....
    ~Lulu~

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ltoman
    Ok, our Plymouth Voyager Expresso- essentially the same car, you know Plymouth an Dodge- - dark green metallic - came out very, very nicely with ssr 2.5 with an orange lc pad. I finished with ssr 1 and a white pad, but it was not necessary. That car has some nice paint, i thought. Nothing compared to the gosh darn vette. I am surprised.
    Good luck with it.
    And yah, I used the xmt pad conditioner....
    AH cool.. guess i shoulda done the 2.5 stupid me, but you learn. Thanks