autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you recommend for exterior hard plastics?

Maybe this was addressed in a previous thread, so sorry if it's a repeat question. I just purchased a new 2014 Jeep Cherokee and it has a lot of gray plastic on the exterior. It's all lower on the body and around the wheel wells, front and rear fascia's, etc. What do you recommend to use on it? Something that will last for a decent amount of time? I really don't like the "glossy look" but will consider it if it lasts long. I have used 303 Protectant before (got a sample at a car show) and really liked it. I am leaning towards this, but maybe there is something else out there that I don't know about.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you recommend for exterior hard plastics?

Post Thanks / Like

My choice would probably be a durable coating product.

Products such as Carpro CQuartz DLX, or GTechniq C4.

Perhaps even their Paint Coatings could also be used to good effect, such as Carpro CQuartz, and GTechniq C1 or EXO.

I looked at some pics of the Cherokee, and these parts will take a beating over time, that pretty much all lesser products just won't protect as long.

Other products, such as mentioned above, such as Ultima Trim-Tire Guard, and other trim products from DP, Pinnacle, Wolfgang, and a boat load of others will work much better than pretty much any off the shelf products, but still will not have the durability of the coatings I initially mention.

Seemingly pricey for the initial outlay of cash, but in the long run will probably prove much more economical.
    Mark

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark, I just looked at the CQuartz DLX and it looks like that might be a candidate....price I am not too worried about as long as it lasts. Yes, it will be my everyday driver so the plastic will take a beating for sure. It has already gotten "white" spots since I purchased it. I just use 303 on it and it looks good....if only temporary. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Try Black Wow. AGO sells it in 2 ounce and 4 Ounce bottles. It lasts for months

Another is Wolfgangs Trim in 4 ounce or 8 ounce

Post Thanks / Like

I've used CQuartz DLX, and am currently still on the second bottle. Once you use this product, you'll be "searching" for every little piece of plastic you can find, and treat.

My Tahoe (pic in avatar) has quite a bit of cladding on the sides, bumper trim, all door-tailgate handles window trim, and I even yanked the entire Wiper Cowl and treated.

Prep is highly important, especially since you have applied some other protectants already. I've thought of this recently, and it is like "the three bears" when prepping such parts.

You don't want to overly aggressively clean and prep (meaning don't resort to full strength Alcohols, Prep Solvents, or All Purpose Cleaners) which could damage the finish on these parts, nor do you wish to inadequately clean-prep them either.

Perhaps a good prep product choice would be something like the CarPro Eraser product. Since it is suggested for use with their CQuartz Paint Coatings, I would imagine it would probably be also a wise choice for use with their Trim Restorer-Protectant DLX product as well. These coatings from CarPro all seem to come from the same family of Quartz Protectant Coatings, just some slight variations of ingredients I'd imagine.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Not long back, Todd Helme on the Autopia Forum (This forum's sister site-business) recently reviewed the GTechniq C4 Restorer product also.

His pics showed fantastic end results also.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2013 RAV4 Limited. That thing has plastic all over it at the bottom. I've never used anything on it, (ESPECIALLY not 303!!!). Car was bought 7/13, and is garage kept. So far, the plastic hasn't faded, but for this summer I need to protect it.

303 on trim is horrible in my experience, and trust me, I am a 303 lover. Just not on cars. I use it like crazy on my boat.

So for the '13 RAV I ordered DLux. Unfortunately I bought from AG and it was back ordered without letting me know before I bought it. I need to apply this week.
    2012 Toyota Camry SE | 2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with CarPro!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote vote Ultima Tire and Trim Guard. Stuff amazes me on all exterior plastic, rubber, etc.,. Lasts a LONG time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast