autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Will M205 or SF4000 Remove CQuartz?

I know M205 and SF4000 will remove CQuartz if worked long enough. The question I have is will they remove CQuartz if let say I did just 2 passes with it?

Little bit of a background:
    I went over to a buddies house today not knowing his sprinklers would turn on while I was there. When I got back into my car I noticed the hood had some water beading and water spots all over my window. I had a bad feeling about it, and when I got home to inspect, the hood, roof, windshield and pretty much all of the passenger side had water spots all over. I polished up and applied CQuartz 2 weeks ago so I was pretty pissed.

Back on topic:
    So far I have tried a waterless wash, DG902, and distilled white vinegar with no luck removing them. I ended up using a yellow foam wax applicator pad (circle ones) with a little bit of M205 on it and hit a very small inconspicuous spot with light to medium pressure (more on the light side) and made a few passes vertically/horizontally (probably equivalent to about 1 pass, if that, on a machine). It worked effortlessly.

Looking forward to your guys' response.
    Thanks in advance.

P.S. I did feel happy when I saw the water sitting on my hood just fly right off as soon as I hit 30+ mph. But it is still not enough to balance out the water spot debacle I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will M205 or SF4000 Remove CQuartz?

Quote Originally Posted by theblob640 View Post
    I know M205 and SF4000 will remove CQuartz if worked long enough. The question I have is will they remove CQuartz if let say I did just 2 passes with it?

Little bit of a background:
    I went over to a buddies house today not knowing his sprinklers would turn on while I was there. When I got back into my car I noticed the hood had some water beading and water spots all over my window. I had a bad feeling about it, and when I got home to inspect, the hood, roof, windshield and pretty much all of the passenger side had water spots all over. I polished up and applied CQuartz 2 weeks ago so I was pretty pissed.

Back on topic:
    So far I have tried a waterless wash, DG902, and distilled white vinegar with no luck removing them. I ended up using a yellow foam wax applicator pad (circle ones) with a little bit of M205 on it and hit a very small inconspicuous spot with light to medium pressure (more on the light side) and made a few passes vertically/horizontally (probably equivalent to about 1 pass, if that, on a machine). It worked effortlessly.

Looking forward to your guys' response.
    Thanks in advance.

P.S. I did feel happy when I saw the water sitting on my hood just fly right off as soon as I hit 30+ mph. But it is still not enough to balance out the water spot debacle I have.
    Have you tried machine applying a paint cleanser to see if the spots are removed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just02896 View Post
    Have you tried machine applying a paint cleanser to see if the spots are removed?
    I have not tried that, simply because I do not have one. Thanks for the quick suggestion though!

Post Thanks / Like

Here are a couple of pictures:

Cleaned spot:

Water spots:

It is a lot worse than it looks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by theblob640 View Post
    Here are a couple of pictures:

Cleaned spot:

Water spots:

It is a lot worse than it looks.
    Did this visit take place at night or did the water droplets get backed on in the sun? Either way, the silica in CQ is claimed to be as hard as diamonds so I'm doubtful that the spots are heavily etched in. I'm thinking a paint cleanser would be best suited to remove the water spots without compromising your coating of CQ.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just02896 View Post
    Did this visit take place at night or did the water droplets get backed on in the sun? Either way, the silica in CQ is claimed to be as hard as diamonds so I'm doubtful that the spots are heavily etched in. I'm thinking a paint cleanser would be best suited to remove the water spots without compromising your coating of CQ.
    This happened about about 6pm in the sun with temps at about 90+ in SoCal. I will have to dig through my samples to see if I have any. If not, other suggestions or answers to the question are welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes both will remove the coating. Any polish will that has abrasives in it. I've easily polished off completely hardened CQ several times.

Most coatings are polished off long before their theoretical expiration dates due to the fact they get scratched and damaged and require correction (or maintenance polishing) as any clear coat would.

I tend therefore to ignore claims of longevity because coatings are usually polished off for one reason or another.

Having said that they are still worth it because they protect the clear coat better than non coating alternatives, and make washing and drying a breeze if they aren't topped or hindered in some way.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm guessing you don't have this, but maybe pick it up for the next time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Yes both will remove the coating. Any polish will that has abrasives in it. I've easily polished off completely hardened CQ several times.

Most coatings are polished off long before their theoretical expiration dates due to the fact they get scratched and damaged and require correction (or maintenance polishing) as any clear coat would.

I tend therefore to ignore claims of longevity because coatings are usually polished off for one reason or another.

Having said that they are still worth it because they protect the clear coat better than non coating alternatives, and make washing and drying a breeze if they aren't topped or hindered in some way.
    Ok thanks, seems like I'll just have to re-coat the panels I polished.

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I'm guessing you don't have this, but maybe pick it up for the next time.

Unfortunately, I do not. I did place an order for it last night though. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

No need to re-polish or use any abrasion
    use the Spotless and it will remove the water spots you have without hard buffing
    even if time passed its still ok and will be removed without damaging the coat.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast