autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nanoskin Pad Marring, What did I do wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by MendhamCarSpa View Post
    My guess is the clay lube: Cheap clay lubes have silicone in them. you can determine this by looking at the ingredients. And guess what?... Silicone is the PRIMARY cause of holograms. I didn't learn this myself, but i 100% remember a reputable someone else saying it on these forums. Also, I do know that silicone is extremely hard and durable and does NOT break down microscopically like aluminum particles in polishes. I am 95% sure that is your problem. Unfortunately, clay lube isn't worth the cost (this is only my opinion), as *most* add silicone to the surface of your vehicle, and trust me, you don't want that. IF you ever use clay lube, be VERY sure to wash your car after claying to rid it of extant clay lubricant. If you'd like to contrive a marring-free finish via clay and polishing, use soapy water for the "lubricant", rinse the car totally, and then use your polish.

I firmly believe (my opinion) that your car was not marred by the pad, but by the clay lube.
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I gotta tell ya, I don't believe it. With all due respect.

What Stephen said
    Back to the full-time grind.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Spiralout:

Quote Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
    Far from it.........Nanoskin Autoscrub Fine Foam Pad

Marring induced by clay and clay substitutes would NOT be caused by Silicones or jeweling pads.
    Ah, I see now.. it's "rubber polymer". That's funny, I ocassionally use flat rubber pieces to remove various tire sling contaminants (light rubbing with soap only though). I would imagine that any particles on the paint would just get caught in the "rubber polymer" pad and spin with it, marring the paint drastically. I've never tried it, but that's an educated guess.
    Perfection in Detailing...
    ...Professional Products

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

P.S. on the Auto-Scrub Lubricant bottle, it says "Silicone-Free" in the ingredients.
    Just wanted to put that out there so everyone here knows that it doesn't have silicone in it (which is something an ingredient I was thinking may not have been good to use with the "nanoskin" pad)
    Perfection in Detailing...
    ...Professional Products

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MendhamCarSpa View Post
    My guess is the clay lube: Cheap clay lubes have silicone in them. you can determine this by looking at the ingredients. And guess what?... Silicone is the PRIMARY cause of holograms. I didn't learn this myself, but i 100% remember a reputable someone else saying it on these forums. Also, I do know that silicone is extremely hard and durable and does NOT break down microscopically like aluminum particles in polishes. I am 95% sure that is your problem. Unfortunately, clay lube isn't worth the cost (this is only my opinion), as *most* add silicone to the surface of your vehicle, and trust me, you don't want that. IF you ever use clay lube, be VERY sure to wash your car after claying to rid it of extant clay lubricant. If you'd like to contrive a marring-free finish via clay and polishing, use soapy water for the "lubricant", rinse the car totally, and then use your polish.

I firmly believe (my opinion) that your car was not marred by the pad, but by the clay lube.
    Has to be a joke post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    And just to add that while soapy water may work as a lubricant for traditional clay, the clay alternatives like the nanoskin or speedy prep towel do not work the same.

Now I have used the mitts in a bucket of water with the proper dilution of a product to make it into a clay lube and that had worked just fine. From my findings a testing is that soapy water just does not provide the proper lubrication for the towels, pads,mitts, and sponges.
    You may have a good point here. I always just used soapy water with traditional clay. I may need to change this up a little. I'm going to test this a little and try different lubes. I may even mix in a little onr with my soapy water and see if that helps.
    Jeremy Wayne

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Instead of making my own, new post I figured I would just bump this thread. I just used the nanoskin medium 6in pad with my HF DA on speed 1. I used Megs Detail Spray and I also tried ONR for lube. I made sure to use lots of lube and spray the pad itself. This is on a black (sigh) 2011 Subaru WRX. Subaru's are notorious for having soft clear coats. The nanoskin pad absolutely caused clearcoat marring/halogramming/haze or whatever you want to call it. I even tried using it by hand, very softly, with one of those plastic grips that you can use to polish by hand. Even that marred. I am thoroughly disappointed in this product after hearing so many positive reviews. I was able to remove the marring with a few passes of an orange LC pad w/ Megs 205, but still. I don't feel comfortable using this product if it's going to cause that kind of damage to the clear coat. I have the occasional issue with clay, but nothing compared to this. I was really hoping to speed up the claying process because it takes me so freaking long to clay the entire car. I would absolutely NOT recommend this product to owners of non-luxury cars with cheap paint jobs or soft clear coats.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you didn't break in the media on glass before you used it. Even after that, you'll still get marring, but it won't be nearly as bad.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoobienoob View Post
    Instead of making my own, new post I figured I would just bump this thread. I just used the nanoskin medium 6in pad with my HF DA on speed 1. I used Megs Detail Spray and I also tried ONR for lube. I made sure to use lots of lube and spray the pad itself. This is on a black (sigh) 2011 Subaru WRX. Subaru's are notorious for having soft clear coats. The nanoskin pad absolutely caused clearcoat marring/halogramming/haze or whatever you want to call it. I even tried using it by hand, very softly, with one of those plastic grips that you can use to polish by hand. Even that marred. I am thoroughly disappointed in this product after hearing so many positive reviews. I was able to remove the marring with a few passes of an orange LC pad w/ Megs 205, but still. I don't feel comfortable using this product if it's going to cause that kind of damage to the clear coat. I have the occasional issue with clay, but nothing compared to this. I was really hoping to speed up the claying process because it takes me so freaking long to clay the entire car. I would absolutely NOT recommend this product to owners of non-luxury cars with cheap paint jobs or soft clear coats.
    You are using the medium grade pad. With the medium you will get marring and on soft paint it will leave even more marring. I firmly believe that if you are claying then you should polish after you have decontaminated the surface.

IMO the product did what its suppose to do and that was remove the above surface contamination. I think you might have been better suited to use the fine grade pad with a soft clear.

I have both and I can tell you that in some cases the fine grade mitt with mare the paint as well. With soft paints its something that happens and there isn't much you can do about but polish the paint.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    You are using the medium grade pad. With the medium you will get marring and on soft paint it will leave even more marring. I firmly believe that if you are claying then you should polish after you have decontaminated the surface.

IMO the product did what its suppose to do and that was remove the above surface contamination. I think you might have been better suited to use the fine grade pad with a soft clear.

I have both and I can tell you that in some cases the fine grade mitt with mare the paint as well. With soft paints its something that happens and there isn't much you can do about but polish the paint.
    ^Exactly. I never recommend using these "synthetic clay" products unless you're planning on doing some sort of correction or polishing afterwards. If you are simply looking to do some routine decontamination in between scheduled polishing, start with chemical decontamination (ie IronX and Tarminator) then, if needed, use an ultra fine or fine grade clay bar to pick up any remaining bonded contaminates.

I use the nanoskin mitts and LOVE them. With that being said, I have never used them on softer paint or dark paint without noticing at least some marring.

Does this bother me? - NO

The time savings with the NanoSkin Mitt is incredible. The marring has always been incredibly easy to remove with machine polishing, so it adds no time or hassle to the process.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobienoob View Post
    Was you clay lube "silicone free"?

j/k.

This product is the most aggressive way to remove contamination. For a guy working on his own car, where time is not of the essence, I'd stick to regular clay or a hand operated clay substitute. Unless your car is jacked up with contaminants, I can't see a dude working in his garage on a decently maintained car needing a decon pad spinning at xxx OPM on paint.

You would have to expect marring on most paint.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast