autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Super Member DetailedByPrecision's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The importance of getting bird crap off ASAP. First etching

The message I am trying to get across is "Get Bird Poop Off ASAP". Upon returning from work I found a decent size bird poop on the roof. I cleaned it off safely with good technique, and revealed the damaged that was already done. This happened within 8 hours, combined with hot temperatures that's asking for serious trouble.

Picture of damaged area on my roof.

The temperature of the panel was really hot thanks to the radiant heat from the sun on a nice day. The heat essentially softened the clear temporary and allowed the acid from the bird poop to penetrate through faster than it would have on a cold day without any sunshine.

The roof is OEM clear, but I have polished it and coated it with a coating which is thicker than any wax or sealant you can apply. Even though, the clearcoat have the best protection possible, nothing is impervious to bird poop if left for a long period of time.

I used a paint thickness gauge to measure the total film build on the panel. Healthy readings for OEM clear would range from 80-120 microns. Any panels under 80, you have to take precautions when compounding, and any more than 120 would be really healthy paint. There will always be exceptions of repaints.

Click on image to view work

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The importance of getting bird crap off ASAP. First etching

:-(

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought it was:

Average Paint: 100-100 microns

Thin Paint: 80-100

Very Thin: <80

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cg6LeMoN View Post
    The temperature of the panel was really hot thanks to the radiant heat from the sun on a nice day.

The heat essentially softened the clear temporary and allowed the acid from the bird poop to penetrate through faster than it would have on a cold day without any sunshine.

To your point about a heat source temporarily softening clear coat-paint (CC):

Do you believe this holds true when buffing paint...i.e.
    Will a compound's/polish's solvents also penetrate heated-up, (and thusly softened), CC-paint?

What adverse affects, if any, will be done to the BC/CC-paint system, as an entity?

Will the BC/CC-paints, at some point in time...given enough softening through buffing and solvent absorption...look like the ravaged results from bird poop, such as you have so depicted?

Just some things I was wondering about.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cg6LeMoN View Post
    The message I am trying to get across is "Get Bird Poop Off ASAP".
    As it is often impractical to get dropping off ASAP, perhaps the message should be "cover your car if you intend to leave it outdoor extended periods of time." Not that that is particularly practical either.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find PBw bird #### remover and a microfibre cloth in the car really helps and not parking near trees if possible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Romach View Post
    I find PBw bird #### remover and a microfibre cloth in the car really helps and not parking near trees if possible
    I just looked at Poorboy's site. For this product it says, "BUY NOW - ONLY AVAILABLE FOR ONE YEAR." What's up with that?!

The assigned parking spaces in front of my townhouse are under a dang tree. My Element was being bombed by birds and pollen fallout like crazy. I resorted to parking along the curb down the street, which is also a pain, but at least no bird droppings to ruin my car's paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Best thing I ever used to lift tree sap was a spray can of wd40 and a microfibre cloth.

My new house has beech hedges and cherry blossoms and my neighbour has pine trees.

So we get bird sh!t and tree sap as well as cherry blossom flowers all over the cars.

On the positive I am planning build a 2 car garage with a work room above it