autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Streaking

Post Thanks / Like

Streaking

Have you notice any streaking after you wipe your car down with either waterless wash or detail spray? Doesn't seem to matter which product I'm using either since I've tried Pinnacle WW, Ultima Detail Spray Plus, and Sonax Detail Spray.

Granted I'm being OCD about this but when you take an inspection light at night in the garage and look closely at the paint, it's smeary and therefore is inhibiting the gloss effect. I have white paint which is why I used the inspection light in the first place to try and see the actual condition of my paint. I've tried numerous towel combinations and nothing seems to work. The best results I've gotten thus far (and not perfect) is a waffle weave towel for the first wipe and some super soft long nap towel for the final wipe. Also using less product seems to help but I cannot eliminate the streaking effect.

Wondering if others have experienced this and if so, any solution(s) you've been able to come up with.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Streaking

I've used Pinnacle WW on my black car and I too get streaking. This past weekend it was quite bad. Some areas I was able to buff it out, but others I had to break out the classic Meguiars QD spray which worked really well.

When I first started using the Pinnacle WW I though the streaking was from the very cold conditions, but now that the weather has warmed up I can't blame temperature and I'm stumped. At least I can depend on the dirt cheap Meguiars QD to work great under any conditions.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

At first I wanted to blame the Pinnacle WW which is why I tried a couple of different products - I'm getting the smearing effect regardless so I can't just blame the Pinnacle. Which Meguiars QD did you try, #34?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a thought but I would like other opinions. I'm only have carnauba wax on my paint and no sealant product(s). Wondering if it's the wax that's causing the smearing effect and if it would be any better if I switched to a sealant. Is this possible or completely unrelated?

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

In my experience if you're getting streaking with a product it's from using too much.

Have you tried using a spray wax or quick detailer while you're drying the car? One spray per panel or just do a spray on your drying towel ever so often.

Also, if you're working in direct sunlight, or high humidity that could be an issue.

Mike Phillips

Streaking or what some people will call dark patches is simply excess product not removed.

The Final Wipe – Tips for creating a streak-free, show car finish

I see this sometime too but mostly on a finish that's already polished to perfection meaning the finish is incredibly smooth and sealed with something.

Thus any glossing agents, shine ingredients, etc. in the waterless wash or spray detailer or even spray wax will have a tendency to sit on the surface.

Try giving the paint a slow wipe with an incredibly soft, plush microfiber towel folded 4-ways or even mist a little spray detailer onto the nap of the cloth before wiping.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike and yes, my paint condition is in excellent condition if I say so myself. Also, all the products I've been attempting to use contain some sort of wax. I have some original ONR w/o any wax additives so I'll give that a try using your Final Wipe technique and report back. Many thanks again.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

First, make sure you're using Pinnacle WW at the correction dilution ratio, which is 1 part concentrate to 32 parts water. Not following the suggested dilution ratio will result in less-than-stellar results (ie: streaking and smearing).

Spray the product directly onto the paint, wipe it clean using a microfiber towel (Gold Plush Jr. is preferred), and then buff the area using a second clean, dry towel (again, Gold Plush Jr.).

Plan on using anywhere from 6-12 towels for a waterless wash, depending on how dirty the vehicle is. Once your second clean, dry towel begins to get saturated with product, you want to use that as your cleaning towel, and grab another clean, dry towel to buff the surface.

Like Mike said, performing a "final wipe" will also improve the end result.

Here's a link to an article I wrote for Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash:

Pinnacle Liquid Crystal - The 10 Minute Waterless Wash AND Wax!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek

The goal while performing a waterless car wash is to safely remove dirt and grime without scratching the paint. Pinnacle Liquid Crystal Waterless Wash Concentrate with Carnauba creates a very slick surface so dirt and grime can safely be removed without scratching the finish. You always want to use an ample amount of product while performing a waterless wash.

Working one panel at a time, spray a liberal amount of product directly onto the surface and wipe clean with a microfiber towel. I like the Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towel because its pile is thick enough to trap dirt and grit without causing unnecessary drag.

After wiping the area clean, grab a second clean, dry microfiber towel and lightly buff the surface. This will remove any excess residue while amping up the gloss even further.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Nick, I hear you loud and clear on the dilution ratio but...I'm thinking it's not that since the other RTU products I've tried have the same end result. But with that said, I'll will be mindful of how I mix the Pinnacle WW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    At first I wanted to blame the Pinnacle WW which is why I tried a couple of different products - I'm getting the smearing effect regardless so I can't just blame the Pinnacle. Which Meguiars QD did you try, #34?
    Nothing that cosmic. I was using the basic QD that comes in the maroon spray bottle. You can only get it here as part of a clay kit, but I believe it's still available OTC. I love the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott@IncrediblyDetailed View Post
    In my experience if you're getting streaking with a product it's from using too much.

Have you tried using a spray wax or quick detailer while you're drying the car? One spray per panel or just do a spray on your drying towel ever so often.

Also, if you're working in direct sunlight, or high humidity that could be an issue.
    Based on your advice, how do you judge the amount of waterless wash needed? Too little and you mar the paint, too much and you get streaks. Trial by error?

It wasn't too hot at the time I used the Pinnacle WW, but it was really humid. That might have been part of my problem.

At this point it seems keeping a bottle of good QD handy seems to be the universal solution to most of life's problems.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast