autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interior I feel like crying

Ok...I see a lot of spill items that haven't been cleaned up. Unfinished food and beverages are left in there. That car has to smell pretty bad as we'll.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

On interiors that are filthy. Using common household products and a scrub may work out fine. Scrub the heck out of the stains then use a shop vac to extract the product. In the past I had to resort to engine cleaners to remove the spots.
    That was the only product that worked. Many years ago some high end detailers used a mixture of hot water with tide laundry soap and gasoline to clean funky seats and carpets. That mixture worked well. A very unconventional mixture but it worked.
    Whatever it takes to removes the spots would apply to your interior. Whatever you use just rinse it well with water then extract as much product with a shop vac and hope for the best.
    I know guys will read this post and think about this guy is nuts now a days people worry about using ph. correct shampoos along with environmentally friendly products. In the end getting the interior spotless is the goal. Whatever it takes to accomplish that is the key. Use the least aggressive methods first and keep on plugging away until you find a product that works

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by c2a View Post
    On interiors that are filthy. Using common household products and a scrub may work out fine. Scrub the heck out of the stains then use a shop vac to extract the product. In the past I had to resort to engine cleaners to remove the spots.
    That was the only product that worked. Many years ago some high end detailers used a mixture of hot water with tide laundry soap and gasoline to clean funky seats and carpets. That mixture worked well. A very unconventional mixture but it worked.
    Whatever it takes to removes the spots would apply to your interior. Whatever you use just rinse it well with water then extract as much product with a shop vac and hope for the best.
    I know guys will read this post and think about this guy is nuts now a days people worry about using ph. correct shampoos along with environmentally friendly products. In the end getting the interior spotless is the goal. Whatever it takes to accomplish that is the key. Use the least aggressive methods first and keep on plugging away until you find a product that works
    ^^Is this guy for serious!?

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw this thread for the first time.... I think I puked a little.
    Seriously, I know it's your moms car so I'm holding back a little.... But dang, that's nasty.
    2013 Santa Fe 2.0T

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Rogers View Post
    ^^Is this guy for serious!?
    If I was to clean that car I would start off with a conventional fabric shampoo. I would use the least aggressive methods first. If that did not work chances are steaming may or not work either. If it was my car I would resort to whatever it took to clean it up. To be real anything that would clean that up is the way to go.
    These methods sure beat replacing the seat covers the way I see it no harm no foul. These methods beat the cost of replacing the seat covers. In the end if that mess would not cleanup I would replace the seat covers. Some engine cleaners are actually very strong aggressive cleaning shampoos that can be diluted down to work on fabrics and carpets. I am curious how would you try to clean up that mess?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by c2a View Post
    If I was to clean that car I would start off with a conventional fabric shampoo. I would use the least aggressive methods first. If that did not work chances are steaming may or not work either. If it was my car I would resort to whatever it took to clean it up. To be real anything that would clean that up is the way to go.
    These methods sure beat replacing the seat covers the way I see it no harm no foul. These methods beat the cost of replacing the seat covers. In the end if that mess would not cleanup I would replace the seat covers. Some engine cleaners are actually very strong aggressive cleaning shampoos that can be diluted down to work on fabrics and carpets. I am curious how would you try to clean up that mess?

To start, compressed air to remove loose stuff. Then brush & vac. Then start spotting.

Most engine cleaners are highly alkaline. Alkalines will set some stains. It's the butyl ether used for degreasing in your engine cleaner that is actually effective. I would start with a citric acid solution, then move to a pet urine remover (hydrogen peroxide, bacteria, enzyme), then a butyl ether spotting product only if OK'd by the owner. If necessary, go to an APC for actual soil/dirt stains and neutralize with citric acid solution. Use steam for each step and extract by whatever means makes sense for the area. But there's more than one way to crack that nut - if I were to use gasoline as you mentioned, I would use a few gallons and follow up with a match.
    Static & Mobile detailing in Minneapolis & St. Paul. http://www.detailedcreationsmpls.com/

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audios S6 View Post
    To start, compressed air to remove loose stuff. Then brush & vac. Then start spotting.

Most engine cleaners are highly alkaline. Alkalines will set some stains. It's the butyl ether used for degreasing in your engine cleaner that is actually effective. I would start with a citric acid solution, then move to a pet urine remover (hydrogen peroxide, bacteria, enzyme), then a butyl ether spotting product only if OK'd by the owner. If necessary, go to an APC for actual soil/dirt stains and neutralize with citric acid solution. Use steam for each step and extract by whatever means makes sense for the area. But there's more than one way to crack that nut - if I were to use gasoline as you mentioned, I would use a few gallons and follow up with a match.
    Good advice
    I was not talking about making napalm. I have seen detailers add a cup of gasoline to a couple gallons of hot water with powdered tide laundry. That homegrown mixture took out satins that any other product would not touch. There are plenty of APC products on the market. You just have to find one that works. Using gasoline and a match on that interior may not be a bad idea.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not trying to knock you, c2a...from a cleaning standpoint, gasoline is an excellent solvent. There's a couple minor problems with that, though. First, your body doesn't react well to its presence, in general. Second is the flammability aspect. You're dealing with someone's car. That they sit in. And drive. Every day.

There's a line you don't cross, and it's for multiple reasons. First, you're a decent human being trying to do a good job. Second, the liability that comes with using gasoline to clean someone's upholstery...Jesus Christ. My lawyer would shoot me, and then tell me to find another lawyer.

Get a good encap juice. I don't care where you get it from, I've got a couple good distributors, but apparently you guys don't like to talk about that on this forum, so PM me and I'll get you the info. Get the encap juice, whip it into a dry foam (there are attachments, one a bristle brush and the other a pad driver that you can put pads of varying aggressiveness onto, that go in a drill), so anyway, whip it into a dry foam with the drill, use a sponge to apply foam to upholstery, and then scrub with drill attachment.

That's the easy, inexpensive way. If necessary, get a decent extractor. I've got a good high performance extractor that I use to do resi carpet, tile, and upholstery with that was just under $3k. Nothing beats a good clear water rinse after spraying down with a good cleaner and scrubbing it. Find a decent prespray, add a little d-limonene for degreasing power and to keep the foam down, and scrub it in! Extract and done.

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on using shampoo on the interior extract it and remove the seats to get this job done

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

I am a huge fan of DP Interior Cleaner and a good brush !! I just started using it and will be using it often from now on. Follow up with your preferred detailer on the leather / vinyl.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast