autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine detailing

So I am getting really good on detailing the exterior of a car now my next goal is to learn to detail the engine of a car. Now since I don't want to do it on anyone's car I chose my guinea pig for a test in which is my brothers 2008 Mustang GT to practice (I know I am a jerk for doing this but hey it's a Ford they fall apart anyway). I have read that I need to cover the alternator, battery, and fuses, please let me know if I am missing anything else out. I have seen his engine in which the fuses do have a cover on it, the only thing that are expose so far is the alternator and the battery. My plan was to cover the battery and alternator with a plastic bag (shopping bags) and start to spray the engine with come CG Citrus + or if you guys have better recommendation please feel free to let me know and post pics! Can you guys please give me some tips on how I can do this and as well if I am leaving anything else out. To end it the engine light is already on since the previous owner use to have straight pipes on the car.
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Engine detailing

Mike wrote an awesome article on this. I did my first one recently, never bothered before, and it turned out well. Itll get better with practice though. Plus it was my 17 y/o truck that i used to offroad in, so that made it challenging.

I used megs apc plus and then amazing rolloff for cleaners. Then v07 for final paint wipedown and 303 aerospace for plastics and rubber.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes cover the alternator, air intake opening and the mass air flow sensor, spark plug wires, if it is exposed.
    I use plastic shopping bags and zip tie them snug but loose enough to cut off when I'm done. Some people clean warm engines I do mine cold. When I rinse I use the mist setting on my hose, Dry really well with and electric leaf blower and towels. Then start the engine to do the rest.
    After it cools I dress it.
    You will need an APC and various brushes.
    inDetail, "It's all in the details."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by inDetail View Post
    Yes cover the alternator, air intake opening and the mass air flow sensor, spark plug wires, if it is exposed.
    I use plastic shopping bags and zip tie them snug but loose enough to cut off when I'm done. Some people clean warm engines I do mine cold. When I rinse I use the mist setting on my hose, Dry really well with and electric leaf blower and towels. Then start the engine to do the rest.
    After it cools I dress it.
    You will need an APC and various brushes.
    Thanks! I do plan to do the detailing soon! I will post a picture up in order to look inside the engine!
    "I don't consider myself to be the best.. and I don't like compliments.. they distract me." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

This is the engine and how it currently looks like!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Engine detailing-pegasus-engine-jpg   Engine detailing-dsc_0227-jpg   Engine detailing-dsc_0228-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aztec1987 View Post
    So I am getting really good on detailing the exterior of a car now my next goal is to learn to detail the engine of a car. Now since I don't want to do it on anyone's car I chose my guinea pig for a test in which is my brothers 2008 Mustang GT to practice (I know I am a jerk for doing this but hey it's a Ford they fall apart anyway). I have read that I need to cover the alternator, battery, and fuses, please let me know if I am missing anything else out. I have seen his engine in which the fuses do have a cover on it, the only thing that are expose so far is the alternator and the battery. My plan was to cover the battery and alternator with a plastic bag (shopping bags) and start to spray the engine with come CG Citrus + or if you guys have better recommendation please feel free to let me know and post pics! Can you guys please give me some tips on how I can do this and as well if I am leaving anything else out. To end it the engine light is already on since the previous owner use to have straight pipes on the car.
    I hope you got your brother's permission first.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunday joe View Post
    I hope you got your brother's permission first.
    He really trust me with his car since I always leave it up to his expectations. He like my work that I do to his car.

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like

OK. I'm a wuss. I wouldn't clean the engine in my driveway. All kinds of toxic whatever on that thing. I'd take it to the coin op. I understand in California they don't even allow engine cleaning at those places. That should tell you something.

In my case, I sprayed some simple green heavy duty on it and drove down there, to kind of boost the green stuff they had at the coin op, but probably that was at least unnecessary and not necessarily a good idea (Simple Green either heavy duty or regular being a controversial engine cleaning material).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterhurcos View Post
    OK. I'm a wuss. I wouldn't clean the engine in my driveway. All kinds of toxic whatever on that thing. I'd take it to the coin op. I understand in California they don't even allow engine cleaning at those places. That should tell you something.

In my case, I sprayed some simple green heavy duty on it and drove down there, to kind of boost the green stuff they had at the coin op, but probably that was at least unnecessary and not necessarily a good idea (Simple Green either heavy duty or regular being a controversial engine cleaning material).
    Everything is legal until you get caught then it is illegal hahaha that was my philosophy when I was a undergrad working for my Criminal Justice major. I am kinda scared of doing the engine but hey I have to learn and do a lot of research

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast