autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions on Ultima Waterless Wash

Hi, I bought the concentrate of UWW, I think it's 16-18 ounces here on AG.

Today I did my first WW ever. I used our new to us 2012 Ford Fusion Candy Red as the test subject. I mixed up per the instructions 1/2 oz to 22 oz distilled water in a ZEP spray bottle. I used MF towels purchased from AG that are supposed to be for WW. They are blue/grey and plush.

Per Mike Phillips instructions I used plenty of product, maybe too much because to do the Fusion which is a mid-size at best I used 1.5 bottles or about 33 oz. this included the windows and wheels. Was I using the product too liberally? If I was using a ready made WW and not a concentrate I'd go broke using at least one whole bottle per car.

It was nice to not drag out the hose, not have to use the leaf blower, or even my Cobra drying towels. But it took me almost as long as using the 2 bucket method. Now I've got a bad back and 4 back surgeries under my belt, plus now a bad arthritic foot, so I'm not fast, especially with the lower panels. I told my wife it would take 15-20 minutes. It took double that. I used 2 of the blue/grey MF towels folded so I got 8 sides. Plus one lesser quality MF towel for the wheels.

Questions are this: per the instructions you are to use 1/2 oz per 22 oz of water for a spray bottle. Or 1oz per 3 gallons for a bucket wash.

What ratio should I use if I want to mix enough for a pump sprayer like a garden sprayer? I think this would be more efficient.

In your experience is UWW better than ONR?

The car came out looking nice. But I do need to correct it. Either from dealer prep or the previous owner, or this harsh winter, it's full of swirls.

I don't think I would use a WW on our black 96 SVT Cobra. The paint scratches too easily and shows everything. If it were just light dust or pollen would you use WW on a black car of yours? Our car is garaged and not a DD. So mostly it just gets dusty. It would be nice to not drag everything out.

I want to try Croftgate. Their main rep Mr Frank Defeo uses it exclusively on his Red Mustang and Black Acura and they look incredible.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions on Ultima Waterless Wash

If I remember correctly, I use 3 ounces of product in the garden sprayer per gallon. I believe this is almost exactly the same ratio of .5 ounces to 22. It works great in the garden sprayer. My garden sprayer is one gallon so 3 ounces is perfect.

I find UWW to be better than ONR, and I believe it is more cost effective as well. I can't comment if you used too much or little, only you know but I would say use as much as necessary and not an ounce more. You'll get a better feel as you do it more. The first time you always use not enough or too much, with not enough being much, much worse than too much.

I have a black 2013 Porsche 911 Cabriolet and I use UWW on it, so don't worry about using it on a black car. If you use proper technique on a car that isn't too dirty, you won't install swirls or scratches on the paint. On dust from the garage, the WW or QD is perfect. Even after a drive the WW works well. If you do it often it doesn't become an issue. That being said, I still enjoy getting the hose out at least once a week. Not because I have to but because I enjoy it.

Good luck with everything and if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Happy detailing!