autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M205 question

Post Thanks / Like

M205 question

I've been using m205 for quite a while on all different paints. My personal vehicle is a 2013 Jetta in a dark metallic blue.

I have about 95% correction as of now. There's a few RIDS and chips but I can deal with that. It's when I was cleaning up from this brutal northeast winter, all of the water spots and such that I used 205 on a flat LC white pad.

After doing 5 passes up then down, up and down again over a 2x2 area, I was ready to wipe off. I only used about 4 pea sized drops after the pad was completely primed. Anyways, when I went to wipe off, it came off fine but when I checked in the sun, I could see these striations going the way of my towel, side to side.

I'm thinking a few things.

One being my towels are just not as clean as I thought they were although a visual inspection tells me they're pretty clean. I clean them properly with all necessary measures.

Secondly, though 205 is non diminishing, could I need to work the product longer?

Finally, I did use Menz inspection to remove oils and residues. I felt this made everything granny and could lead to marring. If that is the case, do I remove oils by just re washing with a citrus wash instead?

I'm puzzled and frustrated.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: M205 question

If the striations are going the same direction you are wiping with the towel; I do not think it is a M205 problem, but is instead a towel problem.

Has the care ever been thru a car wash with brushes? I ask, because maybe these "Striations" are brush marks that have never been removed?

Post Thanks / Like

No I've taken care of it since it was brand new. The paint is nearly 99% perfect with just these marrings that are visible. I'm guessing it could be my towels so I ordered some fresh ones but I also use the IPA wipedown and it feels so grabby that I wonder if it's almost "anti lubricating" and marring? I don't know. I'm frustrated still and I just don't want to see these lines anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmmm, man I've used 205 since it was released and never had issues.
    Not sure what to tell you that would help except maybe try different towels, method, pads, etc.
    keep trying until you figure it out.
    I wish I could be more helpful
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've given up for the time being. No matter what I try, ONR soaked towels, clean towels, different pads, nothing. All I get is marring. And I am sure it's the towels in drying with which means I can't dry off or wipe off anything. Sooooo frustrated

Post Thanks / Like

As you have tried different pads, towels, etc maybe try a different polish. Maybe M205 is not wiping away cleanly for you like it should. You also may be over working it.

See if you can pick up Ultimate Polish locally and give it a shot or if you make an online purchase grab some Wolfgang FG or Menzerna SF4000.

Post Thanks / Like

Great suggestions you already had,

However a picture would be needed for me to understand better what you're talking about.

It'll also help others to give more precise suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Try this.

Use 3 or 4 pea-sized drops on a clean, new (or washed and dried) pad. Do not prime. Do 4 passes with med pressure. Wipe off.

From what I've seen, difficult removal is tied to too much polish that has not broken down. Even non-diminishing polishes with break down a bit -- which is why they turn a bit clear after a few passes.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive had this problem on a couple cars in the past, when wiping off the polish marrs the paint.

when i'm in this situation I use one of the two :

1 - I always have a bucket mixed up with my rinseless wash solution. With a few MF towel in there. Completely wring out the towel and wipe off the polish. stick with a rinseless wash without wax (megs express wash, or ONR, even Ultima WW+ which you dont have to really buff in)

2 - Carpro Eraser. Polish out the section then soak the panel with Eraser. Wait about 30 seconds, the carefully wipe up the majority of the polish and solution. then make a second pass with your completely wrung out rinseless wash towel.

Lately I have been using the Yellow Fellow , Microfiber Madness towels to remove polish and those things are super gentle on the paint and pick up polish like nothing I have ever used. I guess that could be another option to try.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions. I thought at first I was not working the product long enough. Then too much. Still same result.

I would post a picture but it's hard for me to even see the marrings in person. It may doing stupid but it's the fact that I know they're there and when I look at one angle they're are not there but from another, they are. I primarily see them while walking from one side of the hood to the other.

It must be the towel or something related to my wipe off because the striations go in the direction of my first wipe off. After that, I can flip the towel to wipe again and I don't notice anything.

I've not only noticed this on my hood but all the panels I had polished. They're only visible in the sunlight.

I finally resorted to a rinseless method but instead of wiping and drying off with a towel, I just used my soft wash mitt, went over it once or twice and then blotted dry with a mf.

After that I went straight to wgdgps and left it alone. Now that all is said and done at least for now, I don't see the marrings and I can relax.... For now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast