autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Anything for the family...

First of all hello and let me say what a great forum! I've learned a lot in several days.

I've read, googled, watched some YouTube vids, but know it's time to personally ask in the forum. My question essentially is between the Vapor Clean unilux 3000 or VX5000. I know the technical differences and it seems the Unilux 3000 is the way to go for 100 less. But I'm not so much convinced with the company. I've read bad reviews about them. Anyone with insight into Vapor Clean company here? Where as the Vx5000 is a little bit more, it's more common around this part of the internet and the guy that sells them (Steve?) Seems to only promote one product, to me that says he believes in the product he pushes. I don't know. I'm just asking. And I'm open to other machines.

Also, all these machines in the 600-1k range look alike. Are they made by the same manufacturer and sold to different dealers and named differently? Does it really matter at all then which one I get?

Which brings me to why I'm getting one at all. I feel like I should be honest since this forum is full of great people that want to share info and help each other. I'm not in the detail biz nor do I want to be in it. I'm helping a close family member start a mobile car wash biz. She has no permanent job or formal training and with two kids to feed she must do something. She won't be detailing (that's for the pros) but more on the car wash side of things. I understand that this might be overkill (I thought the same thing when I learnt of these machines) but since I'm the one putting the money I want her to concentrate on doing the best job possible and make a name for herself and not have money worries.

I know jobs will be slow at first and the steamer is too much but she also cleans houses on the side for extra cash so I thought she can use the machine for both worlds and combine her services. She has everything Renny Doyle mentioned in his book. She's charismatic, she has bubbly personality, she's not shy about picking up the phone, she'll do just about anything, quick to learn and like Mr. Doyle mentioned his book, failure was not an option as multiple mouths need to be fed.

If you guys know of a different machine type that's more suited for car and home use I would like to hear it. Also, anyone wanting to start should read Mr. Doyle's book. It has helped me think outside the box and come up with a business strategy for her and target potential clients based her location.
    Last edited by AOKcuz; 04-16-2014 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Sorry. I just saw how long the post it.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anything for the family...

Buy her a less expensive McCullough to start.

If things go well and she sticks with it and needs it...upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting

I don't have any suggestions on the steamers but am intrigued by your willingness to help your friend. I hope you get some other suggestions/ answers to your question.....

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, and big props for helping someone in need.

Where are you located?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    This is the steamer I bought on black Friday last year for $125 direct from McCulloch and I've been more than happy with it. It has wheels and a longer house than the smaller units which makes it easier to move around the vehicle. It does claim 58psi but it will only reach that with a full tank for short periods of time. It's usually in the 30-35 psi with continuous use (which is a LONG time on a full tank) Has adjustable pressure on the handle and comes with a bag of attachments that make it handy around the house as well. Even at $200 I think it's well worth the extra money over the smaller 1275. Just remember that with the bigger tank it takes longer to heat up. McCulloch claims 12 minutes but mine usually takes 15-20 minutes to heat up with a full tank.

Sent from my HTCONE using AG Online

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ipsdrew View Post
    This is the steamer I bought on black Friday last year for $125 direct from McCulloch and I've been more than happy with it. It has wheels and a longer house than the smaller units which makes it easier to move around the vehicle. It does claim 58psi but it will only reach that with a full tank for short periods of time. It's usually in the 30-35 psi with continuous use (which is a LONG time on a full tank) Has adjustable pressure on the handle and comes with a bag of attachments that make it handy around the house as well. Even at $200 I think it's well worth the extra money over the smaller 1275. Just remember that with the bigger tank it takes longer to heat up. McCulloch claims 12 minutes but mine usually takes 15-20 minutes to heat up with a full tank.

Sent from my HTCONE using AG Online
    Thank you all for the great suggestions. I kinda dismissed the McCullochs at first because...well Harbor Freight sell them I think, but I'll look into them since a few have recommended them. I'm a buy once kinda guy, like many here, so I figured I'd just buy the best I can afford.

Thank you Mike Burke, I got your PM. And yes I'm leaning that way too since I don't mind paying that little more for the peace of mind.

rms64, I'm located in L.A. now but my cousin is back home in South Texas. Why? Got anything for me? Hahaha!

Thanks to all

Post Thanks / Like

When i first read your thread title i thought it was a Mafia thing!

Seriously though, a wonderful request for info because of a wonderful gesture. You have come to the perfect place to ask for help.

Wish i could offer some help myself but have no experience with them. However, tons of folks here do and we are always willing to share good, honest advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AOKcuz View Post
    Thank you all for the great suggestions. I kinda dismissed the McCullochs at first because...well Harbor Freight sell them I think, but I'll look into them since a few have recommended them. I'm a buy once kinda guy, like many here, so I figured I'd just buy the best I can afford.

Thank you Mike Burke, I got your PM. And yes I'm leaning that way too since I don't mind paying that little more for the peace of mind.

rms64, I'm located in L.A. now but my cousin is back home in South Texas. Why? Got anything for me? Hahaha!

Thanks to all
    I've only had mine a week and have only used it twice. So far so good. The way I figure it if I can get 10 (or hopefully more) jobs out of it I will at least break even. I expect it will last much longer