autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with interior carpet after cleaning

I just recently picked up a used Aztek hot water extractor, and was anxious to give it a try. So last night I sprayed my passenger floor with a diluted mixture of water and Chemical Guys Fabric Clean, allowed it to soak for a minute or two, and then brushed the heavily soiled areas with a carpet brush. Afterwards I extracted with it only hot water. I later repeated the process about an hour later to try and get better results. This morning when I came out to the garage, I noticed a white patch that looked liked the stuff you sprinkle on carpets to make them smell nice. I was able to vacuum this up. While vacuuming, I noticed that the carpet wasn't laying down like it normally would. I ran my hand over it and it felt very stiff. I tried to brush the carpet with a clean carpet brush, but it's not laying down like it should. I have a couple of ideas as to what I think it is, and I'm hoping someone could chime in. I didn't dilute the fabric care enough, I didn't extract all of it (which I really doubt because I went over each area multiple times), or I didn't use Distilled Vinegar in the hot water to bring the PH back down. I've used this same diluted bottle of fabric care, in this same spot, and extracted (if you can call it that) with my regular Bissell Carpet shampooer and warm water. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated! One other thing, while the extractor is used, the vacuum, solution, and extractor tool are all brand new.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with interior carpet after cleaning

I'm not an expert on the chemistry. Others can address that.

1. Do two dry passes for every wet pass.
    2. If the temps aren't 60+ put a fan to speed drying.
    3. Following up when dry with a shop vac does a good job of "re-fluffing" the carpets"
    4. Using a carpet cleaner with less(or no) detergent in it like Folex, 303 Carpet & Upholstery will greatly reduce if not eliminate the "stiffness".
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

I completed multiple dry passes per wet pass.
    The car was in my garage, so I'd say it was ~50ish degrees in the garage. I did place a tiny mini heater in the car with the windows cracked.
    I did follow up and vacuumed the whole area, and no improvement. I did pick up some Folex at the grocery store. Pleasant surprise, wasn't expecting to find that there!

Post Thanks / Like

The white stuff sounds like whatever product you used to clean dried and left it's residue behind. I add a fabric softner when cleaning carpets/uphoulstery. This helps the stiffness for sure

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The white stuff sounds like whatever product you used to clean dried and left it's residue behind. I add a fabric softner when cleaning carpets/uphoulstery. This helps the stiffness for sure
    Like downy? How much?

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had an issue with CG Fabric Clean; that is actually my favorite one to use due to the results i've been getting with it. I don't use an extractor though.
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

I am also far from experienced carpet detailing at the moment, but it does sound like residue that dried up and stiffened up your carpet, not sure how to go about this though. Wet dry vac comes to mind.

Or maybe the chemical used just left a stiff finish?

I've had great success with the carpet cleaning I've done on my car. I have only used Folex though and then just wet/dry vac the residue while wet. I did try using the carpet coating on the entire carpet interior of my car. It was my first time and I would say I got 50% success with the carpet coating. I do think I know what I did wrong though.

Edit: I also tried Meg's APC + diluted for interior worked nicely too. I am starting to think and somewhat realize that when doing carpet cleaning it should be "sealed", just like paint, tires, trim, headlights, etc.. is done too,

my carpet beads now too, pretty nice to see too lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iamonaboat View Post
    Like downy? How much?
    Yes, like Downy. I never measure any of my chemicals. Just eyeball it. It's not that vital IMO

If the carpets are as clean as they will come. Try spraying Downy directly onto the carpets. Let it sit a 15 minutes them wipe excess away using cotton towels

Another thing. Limit the use of APC on your carpets. Cover the affected area, but don't go crazy with it