autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Noob compound/polisher question..."all in one?"

Hey everyone, I recently signed up here, and the information is seriously overwhelming!

I'm about to detail my two cars, and was looking at using Ulta compound and then ultra polish. I'm going to put opti coat on both when done. I'll be using a Porter Cable I just bought.

My question, is there an easier product to use then the two mentioned above? I'm interested in an "all in one". I read something about a product called HD Uno? Is this any good?

Any help would be really appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Noob compound/polisher question..."all in one?"

Just wondering, what year/make/model is your car? I have never tried HD Uno, I heard that HD Adapt is going to take its place sometime in the future.

If your car's paint was in great shape or had the time and skill that these others detailer's have (not saying you don't) Then I would imagine that the PC, Ultimate Compound and Polish could get your the results your after. (pads too)

However, I am not sure how user friendly Ultimate Compound and Polish would be with Opti Coat either. Now I can see why it is always recommended to stay within the family. (Brands)

I jused M105 and M205 when I did my first Opti Coat. I have then done it with Menzerna and just recently Mothers Professional line. (I think just out of habit I like to stay with products that are body shop safe) Since I can always take them with me whenever I head to either uncles body shop.

Also I don't know think that an AIO would be your first choice prior to using opti coat. If you want the cut of an AIO then stick to a polish.

Just my 2 cents and I'll subscribe to see what others have to say.

Good Luck!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thnks for the reply hernandez!

Cars are an 07 accord and a 11 pilot(just purchased)

The accord has been maintained by me, and I would say it is in excellent condition. No swirls, but a few dropping marks here and there etc.. I used one of those walmart turtle wax orbital buffers FOR YEARS. It actually did fairly well, but it needs just a little work.(go ahead and make jokes, it's cool lol)

The 11 pilot has swirls and some moderate imperfections.

I'm thinking I can get away with just a polish on the accord, and then have to use the compound and polish on the pilot.

Is there a product that you spray on right before applying opti coat to strip it? I haven't really begun to study up on the whole opti coat process just yet, but I know I'm very interested in using it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well what I've done prior to applying opti coat to the paint was used some APC in my foam gun to help remove any polishing oils. I then did IPA wipe downs.

I've been told that IPA wipe downs should be sufficient and maybe even safer than washing your car due to water dripping down while applying the opti coat.

Here is the thread I started with all the members helping me during my first time applying Opti Coat.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...echniques.html.

I did it all on a Rupes 21 with a 5" backing plate btw.

IMO after having a swirl free finish. It is mostly in the prep work.

Art

Post Thanks / Like

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaJ_56M08_Y]Optimum Opti-Coat Ceramic Clear Coating - YouTube[/video]