autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why are pad washers so expensive?!

I had one years ago and sold it. I have never missed it one bit.

Post Thanks / Like

They charge that much money because they can!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    its simple.. stop buying them at this cost.

Post Thanks / Like

autogeek should give one away

Post Thanks / Like

I did not buy a pad washer last year when I was purchasing all I needed for detailling because I felt it was too expensive for a bucket with a grit guard and a small water pump. Now, I must admit not doing so have made me waste so much time washing pads that I will very likelly purchase one in the days to come. I really liked the design of the one Ammo NYC is using. I think it's called the detailler's cart or something like that where the pad washer is on a mobile cart where you have room for your Tools and products as well as the pad washer. That is very likelly what I will buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeR/T View Post
    at the end of the day if people will pay for it why stop.
    Maybe they feel like since it is the only one on the market, they can charge whatever the feel the market will bear. Maybe it costs more to make than I think...although I doubt it. I just think they would sell a LOT more if they were lower priced.

There are lots of detailing products I question the price of, but the pad washers sticks out more to me than most. Take Nanoskin towels, for example. Those can't be very expensive to produce either. I still hesitate to buy one because I can get really cheap clay on fleabay, but at least I wouldn't feel like I was being taken for a fool for buying one. Waxes is another. I suspect those are like cosmetics for men; the $200 wax don't cost that much more to make than the $10 waxes. You're paying more for the pretty packaging, and the exclusivity of the product.

I know there is no answers here. I am mostly just thinking out loud. The main thing I guess is that having to spend more than a C-note for a detailing product just doesn't sit well with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trekkeruss View Post
    Maybe they feel like since it is the only one on the market, they can charge whatever the feel the market will bear. Maybe it costs more to make than I think...although I doubt it. I just think they would sell a LOT more if they were lower priced.
    Well, there is the Grit Guard pad washer, and then the Lake Country System 2000, and then the Detailer's System 3000 made by Lake Country (which may be a PBMG exclusive), so there are 3 available from 2-3 suppliers.

I think mostly they are charging you for the time you save, if you are a production shop, or a full-time detailer anyway, I would think these things would pay for themselves pretty quickly vs. washing pads by hand (I used to throw them in the washer but you had to do so much hand prep it seemed easier to just hand wash them) if you are cleaning 20 pads a day. And if you are cleaning 20 pads a day, then you change the solution every day, which is a problem for the weekend guy who cleans a few pads and then next week the solution is rancid.

That's why I liked that 3000 since it separates the clean/dirty fluid, and I might have gone for it during a good sale except for the bad review (Flex won't fit and splatter).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    I really liked the design of the one Ammo NYC is using. I think it's called the detailler's cart or something like that where the pad washer is on a mobile cart where you have room for your Tools and products as well as the pad washer. That is very likelly what I will buy.
    It is the same pad washer. The cart just has a hole in it. You can buy them separately of together:

Grit Guard Universal Detailing Cart, Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer Detail Cart

Grit Guard Universal Pad Washer & Detailing Cart Combo, pad washing cart, clean buffing pads

That's another that has me scratching my head. On the one hand it is more convenient to have the washer up higher...no stooping to use it. But the cart is also less useful, because the washer takes up a lot of real estate. I'd have to buy a second cart to hold my stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Well, there is the Grit Guard pad washer, and then the Lake Country System 2000, and then the Detailer's System 3000 made by Lake Country (which may be a PBMG exclusive), so there are 3 available from 2-3 suppliers.
    I know there is one by Megs too. I haven't seen any up close; I just assumed they were all the same, just rebranded like the foam cannons.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trekkeruss View Post
    I know there is one by Megs too. I haven't seen any up close; I just assumed they were all the same, just rebranded like the foam cannons.
    I forgot about the Meg's one, I believe that is a rebranded Grit Guard. The GG, the 2000, and the 3000 are all different though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast