autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Flex 4" Pad options

Hey all,

I am currently using my PC with 4" pads for tighter areas such as A pillars and door surrounds. I was wondering if there was any decent options for the Flex so I can utilize just one machine?

Or is it worth sticking with my PC just for the tighter areas?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex 4" Pad options

Welcome to AGO Will!

Which Flex are you talking about? 3401 or PE14?

I have the 3401 with the LC BP system which includes 4" BP so I can use LC 4" Hydrotech pads. However, depending on the car, the 3401 can still be bulky. Personally I opted for the Rupes mini to deal with tight areas, however it's a pretty big expense.

If you stick with the PC, get this backing plate so you have use 4" LC pads...

3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate- porter cable 7424XP hook and loop backing plate 3.5 inch.

Hope this helps

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 281 View Post
    Welcome to AGO Will!

Which Flex are you talking about? 3401 or PE14?

I have the 3401 with the LC BP system which includes 4" BP so I can use LC 4" Hydrotech pads. However, depending on the car, the 3401 can still be bulky. Personally I opted for the Rupes mini to deal with tight areas, however it's a pretty big expense.

If you stick with the PC, get this backing plate so you have use 4" LC pads...

3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate- porter cable 7424XP hook and loop backing plate 3.5 inch.

Hope this helps
    Thanks!

Sorry I forgot to mention the 3401, I'm not comfortable enough to have a rotary yet!

I actually have the smaller backing plate to use 4" pads on my PC7424, I just prefer the 3401 over it by leaps and bounds which is why I was wondering if there was a suitable 4" combo. Granted I probably could just tape off weatherstripping and the like and use the full sized pads on the flex but that's not quite what I was after.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Will! View Post
    Thanks!

Sorry I forgot to mention the 3401, I'm not comfortable enough to have a rotary yet!

I actually have the smaller backing plate to use 4" pads on my PC7424, I just prefer the 3401 over it by leaps and bounds which is why I was wondering if there was a suitable 4" combo. Granted I probably could just tape off weatherstripping and the like and use the full sized pads on the flex but that's not quite what I was after.
    Yeah night and day difference between Flex & PC. You need this following BP to us 4" pads:

FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 281 View Post
    Yeah night and day difference between Flex & PC. You need this following BP to us 4" pads:

FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System
    Is the 4" backing plate exactly 4"? LC 4" pads are exactly 4"..if the backing plate is 4", there would be no overhang to protect from the backing plate bumping into your trim or worse yet, your paint. A 4.5" pad would be ideal, if they make one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Is the 4" backing plate exactly 4"? LC 4" pads are exactly 4"..if the backing plate is 4", there would be no overhang to protect from the backing plate bumping into your trim or worse yet, your paint. A 4.5" pad would be ideal, if they make one.
    It's exactly 4", this BP is optimized with 5" LC Hybrid pads but you can still use 4" pads with no BP overhang...