autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing INSURANCE

HEYYY YOU GUYSSS!

I'd really appreciate it everyone would share their:
    -Opinions
    -Feedback/Insight

Regarding detailing insurance companies and costs to remove liability when 1) detailing and 2) transporting customer vehicles... Thanks!!
    "Don't Drive Dull!"
    Carsmetic Rehabilitation Detailologist: Aesthetic Actualization

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing INSURANCE

This is odd. Well over 100 views, and no replies - not even "subbed?" With so many other professional detailers here that do this for a living I'm surprised no one has offered their feedback yet, positive or negative. Come at me bros!
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

Insurance is super important. When choosing a plan, read the fine print. There are lots of "million" dollar policies that actually don't cover much. Look specifically at how much of that million applies to damage to the vehicle. Also look at what type of damage it covers. Garage keeper's insurance generally covers driving client's cars. I avoid driving client's vehicles unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. Rates also vary hugely state to state.

Seems like most plans for small shops or 1 man operations are in the 50-$150 range. I pay a little over $100 per month.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by statusdetailing View Post

Seems like most plans for small shops or 1 man operations are in the 50-$150 range. I pay a little over $100 per month.
    Thanks a lot for the post. What company do you go through? I'd like to compare and contrast a few before making a possible switch. I suppose they will all be the same in the raw coverage, but I'd like to go with a company that has a great reputation and service.

Funny thing is that almost all of my clients prefer, or even ask me to drive their cars. I'm a car guy at heart, which is why I am so in love with detailing. They guys with Shelby GT500s (like mine) want me to drive their and compare the torque, and the clients with little M-power BMW coupes etc. hand me the keys all the time. I like to develop relationships with clients, and they all evolve into friends or close acquaintances. But, I always pause to take a 600+ wheel horsepower car out if it isn't my own, haha!
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

No prob, I go through Columbia. My rates just went way up for no reason, so I'm shopping around.

I do occasionally drive client's cars. Especially clients who I've developed a good relationship with. Recently drove a shelby GT cammed, lowered gears, headers, exhaust. It was crazy...at least I thought...until the same client took me for a ride in his 2014 Cobra Jet with nitrous. It's pushing 800 horsepower without nos. I think it will run high 9's with slicks. . .maybe better. The craziest thing I ever drove was a client's Ford F-650 that had been lifted and put on full blown semi wheels and tires.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot!

Cobra Jets are so, so sick!
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually an insurance agent... And I ensure a buddy's shop, and although I'm in Canada, I can probably shed a little light.
    Your going to need a "CGL" or "commercial general liability" policy, and a garage auto policy. The CGL covers you when being sued, or to cover your stock/equipment. The garage auto is to cover clients vehicles while in your possession.
    You'll need to tell the insurance company how many cars will be in your possession at any given time, the average value of those cars, and what the most expensive car you could be working on would be worth....
    Also, your estimated annual sales.
    Depending on all those numbers... You could/should be in the $1200-1700/year in premium.

Stay with a big company, ignore any company you've never heard about before. You'll need a good company to help you when it counts (at a time of claim), and you don't want to get the run around at a time like that.
    2013 Santa Fe 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Photecs View Post
    I'm actually an insurance agent... And I ensure a buddy's shop, and although I'm in Canada, I can probably shed a little light.
    Your going to need a "CGL" or "commercial general liability" policy, and a garage auto policy. The CGL covers you when being sued, or to cover your stock/equipment. The garage auto is to cover clients vehicles while in your possession.
    You'll need to tell the insurance company how many cars will be in your possession at any given time, the average value of those cars, and what the most expensive car you could be working on would be worth....
    Also, your estimated annual sales.
    Depending on all those numbers... You could/should be in the $1200-1700/year in premium.

Stay with a big company, ignore any company you've never heard about before. You'll need a good company to help you when it counts (at a time of claim), and you don't want to get the run around at a time like that.
    Thanks so much Photecs, that's VERY helpful! Nice man
    "Don't Drive Dull!"

Post Thanks / Like

Anytime... Good luck.
    2013 Santa Fe 2.0T

Post Thanks / Like

my allstate agent quoted me 525 for liability and garage keepers.. pretty good deal imo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast