autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BobbyG : My paint conditioning results.

So all in all this is my second time re-conditioning my paint on my 2006 F250 King Ranch. The paint is True Blue with the Arizona Beige trim. The paint is actually not in GREAT condition. What sucks is that this paint SHOWS dirt, scratches etc etc. But damn if it isn't deep looking... There is some orange peel looking stuff, but Im not THAT concerned about it. This truck ( not because its mine or arrogant ) looks about 85% better than all f250 trucks out there.. People just dont take care of their vehicles anymore...

Its a daily driver so it has its scratches ( most are knocked WAY down, so they blend for the most part ) but this winter there was a cat getting on my truck's hood.. and yeah I bet you know what happened there.. I tried to knock them down as best as I can, but most people ( average joes ) cant really see them.

Anyway, I have been bothering BobbyG for about 1 year now via PMs, asking all kind of things and Im sure repeating myself out of shear forgetfulness.

What I used both times ( last year and this weekend ) was the LC flat pads in white, orange and gray ( for their respective uses ) and I used the PoorBoys SSR line up and Master Cut. The first go around last year, I had to use a lot of SSR2 and some Master Cut. The SSR2 finished down nicely, then followed with SSR1.

This go around I had to use some SSR2 and 95% SSR1. This stuff to me works great for the average joe, given I have not tried many compounds. I also layered two coats of Collinite 845 ( Colly themselves said minimum wait time is 2 hours to 24 hours max ).

I also used the Gummy Pflege on all the rubbers ( I dont like how after it rains you get a streak down the paint... ) and Collinite 476s on the roof. I went with the 476 because its on the roof, and Im concerned about protection up there, and damn if it doesnt work! I had a coat STILL KICKING!!! on there from Oct of last year... LOVE IT. I did like the Pinnacle SSII on the truck ( I used it a few times in the summer heat ) , WAY more color etc ( but its also 5x the amount roughly of 845 )... Maybe I'll top it next week ( good idea? )

I also Collinite 845 the wheels, and the tires have the Tuff-Shine on them. Lastly, I coated all windows with Opti-Seal to help ward off water when raining. The Opti-Seal actually lasts about 6 months, 4-5mths being the end of the strongest protection IMO.

All in all thanks BobbyG!

edited: The best part guys, is that Im just an average guy doing this for myself on the weekend. What Im trying to say is that anyone can do it, its not hard. Dont go crazy and spend big money at first, you dont need to. Dont get wrapped up in the expensive products, IMO. Stick to good MF towels, good wash mitts, Two-bucket methoh with guards and have at it...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thanks BobbyG : My paint conditioning results.

Lookin good, Nice job!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great work. You give us weekend warriors some hope. How many hours did you have into the exterior? What polisher did you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi first, nice job on the truck. Im wondering what you meant when you said :

" I also layered two coats of Collinite 845 ( Colly themselves said minimum wait time is 2 hours to 24 hours max ).

Steve
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conquistador View Post
    Great work. You give us weekend warriors some hope. How many hours did you have into the exterior? What polisher did you use?
    Honestly, Im using the Harbor Freight version of the Porter Cable polisher. Its less than half the cost and does the same. Granted I havent used the PC but all the reviews point that its pretty much the same thing...

Overall from the start of the day to the end, about 10. Now I did wash, clay, polish and polish more lol, and then used Eraser then wax and wax again. Now I did have that dwell time where I just poked around ( dwell time between coats of 845 ) , I did some interior, did the exterior window seals etc...

Quote Originally Posted by ayankeeman1968 View Post
    Hi first, nice job on the truck. Im wondering what you meant when you said :

" I also layered two coats of Collinite 845 ( Colly themselves said minimum wait time is 2 hours to 24 hours max ).

Steve

Thanks. By that I meant between coats of wax. The 845 is touted to be a sealant and they need to ( lack of a better term ) "gas off " AKA they need to set-up before the next coat can be applied. The told me to wait no less than two hours between coats and anything over 24 isnt going to gain you nothing. I wait almost 5 hours between coats.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks sir
    Steve
    -The Titanic Was Built By Professionals But The Ark By Amateurs-
    "Boanerges"

Post Thanks / Like

Talk about one beautiful truck and whole lot of gloss and reflection Anthony!

It's gives me great pleasure to see these results. It also shows me you have a special talent with the dedication and desire to take restore this truck to better than new condition!!

Nice work Anthony!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bobby.. How come the collinite doesnt push out the metal flake that is in the paint? I know Colly is for protection more-so than looks..

Would me adding a coat of SSII over the COlly this weekend, help with pop?

I also hate when the dirt settles on the paint and leaves streaks around the mirrors etc... It sucks that I could only live in awe one day after the conditioning haha..

Oh well there is always next year! ( I only do it once a year )

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea to use that 476 on the roof. They say 476 last a long, long time. I think I'll put 476 on the roof of my SUV also.
    Always keep the shine in your life.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Truck looks Great!

"I also used the Gummy Pflege on all the rubbers ( I dont like how after it rains you get a streak down the paint... )"

Give the Gummi another try.

Thoroughly clean the rubber seals with All Purpose Cleaner and a Microfiber towel until no black is coming off on the towel. Then apply the Gummi Pflege.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast