autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Interior Cleaner Question - Black Dash white in texture after cleaning

I just used Griot's Garage Interior cleaner on my new to me, extremely well kept 1995 BMW M3. The interior is black with a extremely textured matte vinyl dash. The cleaner seemed to work extremely well but at the same time made a lot of the cracks in the texture white. It will most likely be resolved with a dash protectant such as Sonax or 1z. I prefer a natural finish, in fact I avoid any protectant and have always wiped down the dash in my other cars with either a damp microfiber cloth or a cloth sprayed with Griots Garage Interior Cleaner, followed up with a dry one and maintained by wiping down dash with dry MF cloth weekly. This had always maintained my cars interior factory finish. But now that I have this older car, almost 20 year car, I can't resort to that as now I have whitish cracks in the black dash after cleaning with Griots Garage Interior cleaner. I'm thinking Sonax or 1z cockpit (leaning to Sonax due to scent) BUT at the same time the "matte" finish would possibly even be too much "shine" for me as I'm used to non at all. Any thoughts on the best way to proceed?

I'll try to take a pic but not sure if it will show up correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Interior Cleaner Question - Black Dash white in texture after cleaning

303 Areospace protectant. Natural matte look and it provides UV protection.
    Thomason Car Care
    (423) 883-5944

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by puma1824 View Post
    I just used Griot's Garage Interior cleaner on my new to me, extremely well kept 1995 BMW M3. The interior is black with a extremely textured matte vinyl dash. The cleaner seemed to work extremely well but at the same time made a lot of the cracks in the texture white. It will most likely be resolved with a dash protectant such as Sonax or 1z. I prefer a natural finish, in fact I avoid any protectant and have always wiped down the dash in my other cars with either a damp microfiber cloth or a cloth sprayed with Griots Garage Interior Cleaner, followed up with a dry one and maintained by wiping down dash with dry MF cloth weekly. This had always maintained my cars interior factory finish. But now that I have this older car, almost 20 year car, I can't resort to that as now I have whitish cracks in the black dash after cleaning with Griots Garage Interior cleaner. I'm thinking Sonax or 1z cockpit (leaning to Sonax due to scent) BUT at the same time the "matte" finish would possibly even be too much "shine" for me as I'm used to non at all. Any thoughts on the best way to proceed?

I'll try to take a pic but not sure if it will show up correctly.

Thanks in advance.
    Duragloss 321 leaves a very nice finish and lasts a very long time. Smells like coconuts for a while. I used some on the company vehicle a few months back and it is still working.

Dave

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Post some pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

I love BOTH 1Z Cockpit and SONAX Dashboard. If you want to add a protectant, and still want as close to factory as possible, maybe check out Ultima Interior Guard Plus+.

Check out my review on it for some pictures:

Review: Ultima Interior Guard Plus+

Post Thanks / Like

What may have happen is that the cleaner was a little strong for such delicate material this interior cleaner can be diluted to 1:4 or 1:10 or to the strength you need though as for protection try
    303 Areospace protectant or any trim protectant you have on hand and if you want very low shine once you apply your dressing after a minute just wipe it down with a damp microfiber if you want a medium shine then wipe down the dash with a dry microfiber after a minute or so ....hope this help

Post Thanks / Like
    303 will add a little shine, 1Z won't.

Post Thanks / Like

1Z Cockpit Premium does it all! It will clean weekly dust and light soil while leaving a beautiful finish along with a pleasant smell. If you need to remove heavy dirt and stains 1Z Plastic Deep Cleaner will get the job done! As far as pure protectants I would look at Ultima or Wolfgang interior coating.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we might be looking past the actual problem in talking about dressings. I am wondering if there was a build up of some silicone, or similar, containing product used over the years and the cleaner is attaching to it and leaving a residue. My suggestion would be to try cleaning it again, but use some kind of detail brush that will work the cleaner down into the texture. Like a vent brush or concours brush. It will be time consuming but hopefully it will clean out the residue. I do this to my leather seats once per year with a vent brush and it makes a huge difference over just using a MF towel with the leather cleaner.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    I think we might be looking past the actual problem in talking about dressings. I am wondering if there was a build up of some silicone, or similar, containing product used over the years and the cleaner is attaching to it and leaving a residue. My suggestion would be to try cleaning it again, but use some kind of detail brush that will work the cleaner down into the texture. Like a vent brush or concours brush. It will be time consuming but hopefully it will clean out the residue. I do this to my leather seats once per year with a vent brush and it makes a huge difference over just using a MF towel with the leather cleaner.
    I will give this a try before resorting to "covering" up with a dressing.

Hopefully I didn't damage the dash with too harsh/too strong a cleaner, as another person (jamesboyy) had posted. I'd like to think it wasn't as this residue didn't show up on all of the dash and other panels I used the cleaner. I'll be so bummed if I damaged something as this car is in almost concours conditions considering it's 20 years old (manufacturer date 7/94).

I'll try and get pics up soon.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast