autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Few ?s after a detailing yesterday

Hey Guys just a few questions for you.

Im a total n00b and just recently getting into the game - However yesterday I decided to give it a shot at fully detailing my own ride -- Please Keep in mind that I don't have a proper Orbital Polisher so I didn't even bother with paint correction because I don't have the tools necessary

This is what I did:

Thoroughly Rinsed off the car
    Washed it with Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax using 2 Bucket Method + Grit Guard
    Completely Dried the car
    Used Meguiars Claybar Kit
    Used Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax (aka paint sealant)

This is the results now

The car looked amazing, clean, perfect after all this what done not a bad spot in sight -- However the car sits outside as I don't have a garage, so overnight temps dropped back down into the 20s (I live in New England) and the Condensation froze on the car, so my whole car was ice covered - then once the afternoon hit it thawed itself out but now the car looks like crap, it looks streaky and has water spots all over it - They go away if I rub it with a Microfiber but I don't know if that's a good idea and/or rubbing my entire car down with a Microfiber is the best choice -- Is my paint sealant / wax still good? Is this a normal thing to happen and I shouldn't worry about it and itll be good as new next time I wash the car?

Secondly, I used Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax as I understood it was a once every 3-6 month type of product -- However I wash my car on average Once a week, and I plan to use Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax after every car wash that I do (Once a week) -- Will this work good as a primary wax? To the point where I shouldn't bother using anything else? I know that the Quik Wax doesn't last nearly as long, however if im applying it once a week, it really doesn't have any time to wear off -- is this a good way to go?

Thanks Guys

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Few ?s after a detailing yesterday

Don't rub the paint with a dry microfiber towel. Get yourself a bottle of spray wax (the Megs Quik Wax is fine) for wipe-downs. The Quik Wax will help with the longevity of the main wax/sealant, but it is not a replacement for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by trekkeruss View Post
    Don't rub the paint with a dry microfiber towel. Get yourself a bottle of spray wax (the Megs Quik Wax is fine) for wipe-downs. The Quik Wax will help with the longevity of the main wax/sealant, but it is not a replacement for it.

I agree. To add to this, it also sounds like you over applied ULW, causing it to streak.

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect what happened is a combination of two things:

1- You had residue from the clay step on the vehicle still
    2- Combined with #1 and a little too much MULW you have streaks where parts of the car have heavy concentration of the wax and others have a lighter concentration

All you need to do is use the same solution you used on the clay step. Spray it on the panels that have streaking and lightly wipe with a clean microfiber.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a bottle of Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer - Your saying I should spray my entire car down with that and wipe it with a Microfiber to fix whatever happened overnight with the wax?

Post Thanks / Like

When ultimate wax is over applied it streaks. If that happens use a detail spray and a microfiber to remove the streaks.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

One more question -- Tomorrow the forecast calls for Rain - Should I even bother using quik detailer on the car tonight if its going to be a rain storm all day tomorrow?

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it was me. I would hold off until after the rain tmrw. And do a 2 bucket wash when the roads dry.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually wash my car once a week, so I was thinking if I can just wait until Friday I can wash it and then put some meguiars UQW on it with a Microfiber and hopefully that fixes it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    I suspect what happened is a combination of two things:

1- You had residue from the clay step on the vehicle still
    2- Combined with #1 and a little too much MULW you have streaks where parts of the car have heavy concentration of the wax and others have a lighter concentration

All you need to do is use the same solution you used on the clay step. Spray it on the panels that have streaking and lightly wipe with a clean microfiber.

^^ I agree, well said.