autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best way to take care of rubber/plastic on new car

I always keep my cars 10 years or longer. When I get rid of them the plastic and rubber is in bad shape. What is the easiest way to make sure my plastic and rubber stay looking new? I've heard a guy on YouTube mention Mequair's ultimate quick wax? If that is true it would be awesome! Because it would be a one product covers the whole car item. I don't mean tires here as I know how to take care of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to take care of rubber/plastic on new car

I really like ultima tire and trim guard. Dont have to buff it off. The bottle will last you forever too.
    Clean before with einzett plastik, or ive heard good things about griots rubber prep.

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang, Duragloss, Einzett and Ultima make excellent trim products. Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax is a great spray sealant but a dedicated product for plastic will yield better, longer lasting results.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there is really an OTC product that is going to help you. The good news is that there are several good products here that will help.

Products like Ultima Tire and Trim Guard and Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant last for some months, and if you apply those to your plastic and rubber regularly (that's the key), I would expect your trim to stay new looking for the 10 years you are looking for. They are easy to apply and hard to mess up.

Alternatively you could use a more permanent product like Carpro DLux (Optimum Opti-Lens is also supposed to be good for hard plastic), but these products are a little more tricky to apply and less forgiving.

In the end, an over-the-counter trim dressing may give you the protection you are looking for, but you might have to apply it every week or two, which may not be possible.

As an aside, Mothers has a new trim cleaner which is said by people who have used it to restore faded black plastic trim to a new look. However, I'm sure it's not going to unshrink those vinyl trim pieces that are prone to shrinkage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Opti coat or Dlux for long term protection. Other stuff is good but won't have the durability.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I don't think there is really an OTC product that is going to help you. The good news is that there are several good products here that will help.

Products like Ultima Tire and Trim Guard and Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant last for some months, and if you apply those to your plastic and rubber regularly (that's the key), I would expect your trim to stay new looking for the 10 years you are looking for. They are easy to apply and hard to mess up.

Alternatively you could use a more permanent product like Carpro DLux (Optimum Opti-Lens is also supposed to be good for hard plastic), but these products are a little more tricky to apply and less forgiving.

In the end, an over-the-counter trim dressing may give you the protection you are looking for, but you might have to apply it every week or two, which may not be possible.

As an aside, Mothers has a new trim cleaner which is said by people who have used it to restore faded black plastic trim to a new look. However, I'm sure it's not going to unshrink those vinyl trim pieces that are prone to shrinkage.
    I used it over the weekend. Looks good so far. When I was h it again I'm hoping it stays.

Post Thanks / Like

The best?

Wolfgang Trim Sealant.
    Next question. Lol
    I applied the WGTS on my plastic and rubber trim four months ago and still looks like the day I applied it, just doesn't wash off.
    As for your tires try out the a turtle wax tire coat kit, not the spray, cost is only $11.00 and can be found at Advance Auto Parts.
    Can't go wrong with that, TW also make a trim coating for rubber and plastic trim, never tried it because the Wolfgang works great for me but if the trim is really faded than the TWTC may be the way to go
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

CarPro Dlux

Post Thanks / Like

Will all these great suggestions work on the foam rubber stuff around the windows too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Since people use 845 for rubber items..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast