autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Hybrid pads to use with Menzerna Products

I have the following:

16 oz. Menzerna Super Intensive Polish PO 83 (most abrasive)
    16 oz. Menzerna Super Finish PO 106 FA (mild abrasive)
    16 oz. Menzerna Power Lock (sealant)

For pads I have the 5" Hybrid pads in black, yellow, and white with flex 3401.

I have a 2001 Honda S2000 in good condition, however it does have swirl marks and spider webbing when the light hits the paint. It has never seen a machine polisher ever.

My question is I know to start with the least aggressive method possible, so is it ok to use the Menzerna PO 106 with a black pad at first? And if that doesn't work should I then go PO 106 with the yellow pad? And if that doesn't work then PO 106 with white pad?

That's the gist I've been researching so far. If that doesn't work then I can try the more abrasive polish like the PO83 with the black pad or?

Is it ok to use those products with the black pad as it has no cut but the polish will still remove defects? Or can using the black pad with any of the polishes be counter productive?

Any info is much appreciated. I've been reading Mike Phillips book and absorbing as much as I can from you all. I appreciate the help in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hybrid pads to use with Menzerna Products

First off, nice product slection you have on hand. This setup is right up my alley.

Have you had a chance to read the Smack method on priming, speeds, and use of this setup? This is an article I put together to help individuals get started achieving incredible results right from the start.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...brid-pads.html

What color is the S2K?

As this vehicle never seen a polisher before I personally would grab SF4000 and the white Hybrid pad and so a test section to see where that gets you. You may not need anything more than that.

When you have a chance I would order the other blue and orange pad to compliment what you have just in case you need to get more aggressive. Also grab some FG400 as this can cut extremely well and finish out darn near LSP ready. Just so you have these on hand.

If you need to get more aggressive with what you have then you would need SI1500 on the white pad as this is a polishing pad unlike the black pad which is a finishing pad.

I reserve the black pad for SF4000 and SF4500. This will give incredible amount of gloss and reflection. SF4000 is rated at a 4 for cut and 10 for finish. SF4500 is rated as a 2 for cut and 10 for finish.

Here is a chart on the Menzerna range.
    Menzerna, Menzerna Polishing Compounds Products, Menzerna FMJ, menzerna polishes, menzerna car polish, menzerna nano polish, menzerna final polish,

Mike

Regular Member David at LC Pads's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Smack/Mike is very familiar with the Hybrid system, and since I love my Honda's Ill add a little.

Honda paint is normally soft (BTW I love s200's and have a red 01 myself)

You should be able to achieve great results with the white and black pad like Mike said above and I would probably try the same combinations for testing also!

You may be able correct all of the defects with the black pad and Super Finish 106FA.

Let us know if you have any trouble and also how it turns out!

Post Thanks / Like

Partnering LC Hybrids with Menzerna and using Smack's technique will produce some amazing results. I agree with Mike, if you can add some blue & orange hybrids & FG400. You'll have quite an arsenal on hand

Post Thanks / Like

Nice product choice, would also reccommend picking up the other pads and FG400 to finish out what you have.

I really like using this system and was amazed at the amount of cut it produced with my 3401/orange hybrid/FG400. It was close to rotary results with foam and FG400 but just took a bit longer. This was on a single stage paint though, so a little easier to cut than a harder clear.
    Vinny

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    First off, nice product slection you have on hand. This setup is right up my alley.

Have you had a chance to read the Smack method on priming, speeds, and use of this setup? This is an article I put together to help individuals get started achieving incredible results right from the start.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...brid-pads.html

What color is the S2K?

As this vehicle never seen a polisher before I personally would grab SF4000 and the white Hybrid pad and so a test section to see where that gets you. You may not need anything more than that.

When you have a chance I would order the other blue and orange pad to compliment what you have just in case you need to get more aggressive. Also grab some FG400 as this can cut extremely well and finish out darn near LSP ready. Just so you have these on hand.

If you need to get more aggressive with what you have then you would need SI1500 on the white pad as this is a polishing pad unlike the black pad which is a finishing pad.

I reserve the black pad for SF4000 and SF4500. This will give incredible amount of gloss and reflection. SF4000 is rated at a 4 for cut and 10 for finish. SF4500 is rated as a 2 for cut and 10 for finish.

Here is a chart on the Menzerna range.
    Menzerna, Menzerna Polishing Compounds Products, Menzerna FMJ, menzerna polishes, menzerna car polish, menzerna nano polish, menzerna final polish,

Mike

Mike,

I really appreciate your feedback! I just read that thread you created and unknowingly we have a pretty similar setup lol! My 2001 S2000 is Grand Prix White btw. My question is in regards to starting off with the least aggressive method possible.

Should I start out using the black pad and Super Finish 106FA?

The black pad does not have any cut, so would that combo still be able to remove swirls/scratches?

I guess that is my confusion as a newbie as anything I read says to use the 106FA on a white pad, but my car is a 2001 White S2000 that has never been machine polished ever. It has swirl marks when the light is shined on it.

So should I start out with the black pad and 106FA or will that do me no good since the black pad does not have any cut to it?

I want to try the least aggressive method possible because I know the clear coats are precious. I figured least aggressive is the black pad, however people say to use that with like menzerna power lock or to use the black pad for waxes/sealants etc.

Any info you can provide is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Brian,

Sure thing! Glad to help! How have your results been?

What you can do is tape off two sections next to each other and perform two test spots so you can differentiate the two sections. On one side a black pad and SF4000 and the other a white pad and SF4000. This way will allow you to see first hand at what is working and which is not.

Now knowing that this car is as old as it is and never seeing a polisher, what are your expectations for the paintwork? In other words, how much money and labor are you willing to invest on how perfect you want the paint?

You may be able to achieve pretty outstanding results with what you have on hand but you may need a bit more. Also how is this car driven and how is it maintained?

Personally if I were going to one step this car I would jump right into the white pad and SF4000 to get a decent amount of cut while finishing out really well. For me the black pad is reserved primarily for SF4500, glazes, sealants, and waxes.

Im sure you have clay on hand. How about something like Iron-X to decon the paint?

I hope I haven't opened a can of worms.

Best Regards,
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as time or money I want to bring this car to a show car shine. I do daily drive it but I'd like to bring it up to a show car shine. I do have clay on hand and have clay bared the car many times. I have never actually used the iron x before though. I was reading about that in Mike Philips book.

I will probably make another order at autogeek to get some of that and maybe a few orange/blue pads to add just in case as well as the fg400 just in case.

My goal is to tackle the engine bay soon and do that first and then do a full detail on the exterior.

Mike do you use the PO 106 with a black pad? Will that be the least aggressive to start with or?

Post Thanks / Like

Your plan is right for doing the engine detail first and then the paint correction.

I know we practice using the least aggressive product to get the job done but on a car that has never seen polishing work before and has been clayed many times before YOUR least aggressive approach should be a white pad and SF4000 (PO 106 FA). Forget about the black pad at this moment.

You may also want to do a test spot with FG400 and a blue light cutting hybrid pad next to a section that was done with the white pad and SF4000. This way you can judge how much correction will satisfy your needs.

I suggest using Iron-X to decon the paint. Follow the instructions to a T and you wont have any issues.