autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Got my stuff in now it begins

Hello everyone, I have been a lurker for a year or so reading and absorbing as much knowledge as possible. You guys really are amazing with your helping everyone out. So onto my "project". 2012 chevy cruze topaz blue metallic. I have owned it since the day it came into the dealership. Short version the dealer did the "complementary wash" and between that and year of no wax or claying just touch less washes due to my shift at work last year well just say the paint needs help.I have a few road chips here and there. Now it has some "far paint" good after a wash from far away far from good. Swirls/cobb webbing some scratches not too many and they are just in the very top of the clear I cant feel them with my finger or finger nail.there is what I believe to be a bird bomb on the trunk that claying and some meguiars swirl x with heavy rubbing by hand and used a lot of "passion behind the pad"(well get to the da later)did not remove its still there. Now I'm sure everyone is wondering what I would like out of my paint. I would like not a show car trailer queen shine per say but a result that people will look and say wow. I have lined up some side jobs detailing friends and coworkers cars in a few months to supplement my addiction to cleaning my car. I will post pictures later as soon as I find my light to show the swirls and such I am talking about.
    On to my proverbial set up
    Left overs from last year
    meguiars gold class kiquid carnauba plus
    meguiars supreme shine hi gloss protectant (never used was a gift)
    meguiars swirl x
    meguiars ultimate black(another gift never used)

Recent purchases
    5 gal bucket with grit guard
    fire hose nozzle
    (almost the entire DP line)
    DP auto bath 32oz
    DP Universal Clay Lube 32oz x2
    DP Engine Degreaser 32 oz
    DP Carpet Cleaner 32 oz
    DP Gloss Tire Gel 32 oz
    DP Poli Coat Paint Sealant 16oz
    DP Coating Prep Polish 32oz
    DP Wheel Glaze 8 oz paste
    DP Glass Restorer 16 oz
    DP Glass Cleaner 32 oz
    DP Max Wax 8 oz paste
    Sonus Motor Kote 16 oz
    Collinite 845 16 oz
    Pinnacle Micro Rejuvenator 16 oz
    Blackfire Clay Cleaner
    DP Clay 200g x2
    Tire Dressing pads x4
    Micro Applicator
    Pinnacle Foam Applicators X6
    Metro Sidekick Blower
    Guzzler x2
    Perfect micro starter kit
    Various free micros with the packages I bought
    2 "knobby" wash mitts from autozone
    6 gal 3 hp shop vac

Now Ive been looking at the Griots 6 in DA HD Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher ,the Lake Country 5 Inch Backing plate lake country 5 inch backing plate, 5 inch backin plate, 5 inch hook and loop backing plate , this pad kit for starters Lake Country 5.5 x 7/8 Inch CCS Foam Pad Kit, buffing pads, da pads, buffer padsautogeek-detailer-s-tool-bag , and some blackfire total polish and seal for a nice all in one wax to use for side jobs. Also Probably the dvd Mike has out for the porter cable since to my understanding same thing as the griots as far as function and possible his ibook if theres additional info not covered in the dvd.

Well to those that actually read this I thank you for reading and look forward to some advice and input from you guys.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got my stuff in now it begins

I'm selling my Griots Garage 6 inch, only been used 4 times. Send me a message if interested
    Harrisonburg's #1 Recommended Detailer - RawDetail.com - DetalingAddict.com

Post Thanks / Like

Get a 2nd 5 gallon bucket and grit guard. Just get a home depot orange bucket...the GG's fit perfectly. If you don't want to get a 2nd GG right away, then use the 1 GG in the rinse bucket and go without in the soap bucket.

Because the pads are thicker, it's not a bad idea to get the hang of the GG6 before you drop to the 5.5 inch pads which are @ 1/2 as thick. Just a little more thickness while you are learning. Just my opinion/experience.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry for the bad quality iphone pictures are the best I can get right now till I find my camera.

wdmaccord-i do currently use the bucket with grit guard as my rinse bucket.i should have stated that I do use a 2 bucket wash method.But I suppose another grit guard for my other bucket certainly wouldn't hurt anything .

Also was looking at the xmt swirl remover specifically #1 and #2 would these be a good choice for my paint correction?I did watch the video for the xmt swirl remover and I can definatly say my paint is not that heavily swirled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got my stuff in now it begins-paint-imperfection-micro-mar-jpg   Got my stuff in now it begins-paint-imperfection-spider-webbing-jpg   Got my stuff in now it begins-paint-imperfection-swirl-jpg  

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Update:I've read the first five chapters of mikes iBook.first great info and love the detailed explanations in each sections with pictures of examples.i would rate my paint on the 1-12 scale from the book about a 4-5 probably in the middle.also pulled the trigger on the griots and pad combo I posted above.this forum and website really needs to post a warning that it can cause an addiction to car care.thanks to those thy have responded I also got the xmt #1#2 xmt 360 black fire total seal and protect and a sample of the wolfgangs swirl remover 3.0.now I need to built a cart to keep all these products on.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finished mikes book and all I can say is wow it is a must read!also got my griots da with the longer cord.
    Bftp&s
    Xmt360
    Xmt#1
    Xmt#2
    Wgts 3.0 sample
    3 ccs orange 5.5 in
    3 ccs white 5.5 in
    3 ccs blue 5.5 in
    5.5 in backing plate
    Xmt pad conditioner
    Xmt pad cleaner
    Pad cleaning brush
    Now it's washed and clayed and I'm inspecting the paint and would say I have some light swirls and a few scratches that I can't feel with my nail.i understand least aggressive approach first.and seeing a chart on the other forum shows bftp &s and xmt 360 as a 1 on the aggressive scale and xmt #1 is a2 on the scale.i was thinking for my test spot trying bftps and a white pad to see how it goes. Any other suggestions?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I cant seem to find the edit unless there is a timer on it.Tried the bftps with a white pad. first test spot I believe I went to fast with the machine.second test spot slowed it down seemed to get better results.noticed some dusting so would that mean I needed to add more product or that I just worked it too long?It did get rid of some of the swirls but the scratches were still slightly visible so im going to go over it with a white pad and xmt #1 and a white pad and see what happens.