autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

2 passes and still scratches

Hello all,

First of all I want to say, I AM EXHAUSTED! Today was my first attempt at the whole car detail process. So far I am on the polishing process and taking a break. Claying the car was not fun. Anyways, I am having issues with correction. I have a jet black bmw (soft paint so I heard), and I am using GG6 with Mezerna FG400 and microfiber cutting pad. I am using the max speed on the GG6, and I went over an area 2-3 times with 6 passes, but still lots of scratches remain. Either I need to get a harsher compound or get a different pad. Either way, I am thinking of returning the GG6 and picking up a stronger polisher such as the rupes 21. Please help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2 passes and still scratches

Are you putting enough pressure and Should be on speed 5-6 we doing paint correction. What kinda of car are you working on? Arm speed also makes a big difference. I have a GG6 and have no problem correcting any kinda of paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Please define scratches. Are you seeing swirls that were there before compounding and remain still afterwards. Or is it possible that your seeing marring left behind from not working the FG400 long enough to break down?

Post Thanks / Like

Better polisher for the first piece of advice, and are you blowing the microfiber pad out after each section?
    PCB Reflections LLC
    Specializing in Corrections and Protection
    Servicing Greenville SC & Surrounding Areas

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you cleaning pad after each section. Microfiber gets matted down and become ineffective. 400 is a one step polish and may not be strong enough.
    2015 Audi S4 in Mythos Black Metallic

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    Are you putting enough pressure and Should be on speed 5-6 we doing paint correction. What kinda of car are you working on? Arm speed also makes a big difference. I have a GG6 and have no problem correcting any kinda of paint.

Yup, I put as much pressure as I could, maybe i need to move slower. It's a bmw sedan in jet black.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just02896 View Post
    Please define scratches. Are you seeing swirls that were there before compounding and remain still afterwards. Or is it possible that your seeing marring left behind from not working the FG400 long enough to break down?
    I think the swirls were taken care of, but their are scratches that are still visible. Not deep enough where my finger nail get's caught in it, but deep enough that I guess I might need a better compound. Yup I used it long enough till it became flaky.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vrtcl View Post
    Are you cleaning pad after each section. Microfiber gets matted down and become ineffective. 400 is a one step polish and may not be strong enough.
    That might be the problem. I am using Mike's on the go method of just using a terrycloth towel over the polisher and turning it on for a few seconds, but I feel like i need to use a better method to clean the pad. I have the pad brush that I have yet to use. I'll give that a try next.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind that when you remove swirls and clear up the paint, the deeper scratches become more visible. I not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but make sure that your pad is spinning because with too much pressure you can bog down the GG. While it may sound cliché to say this, technique is more important than tools. Do not be so hard on yourself, the pictures you see posted on AGO are from people who have generally corrected many vehicles. I felt the same as you the first time I tried to correct my paint. It took me several times to get it right.

Post Thanks / Like

After ever section you need to clean the pad its key in using MF pads and you don't need another polisher. Slow your arm speed dawn and with MF pads you don't need a lot of pressure let the pad do the work. If you have compressed air that is best way to clean MF pads.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast