autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just call me Mr. Mom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: In need of Metal/Chrome polish advice

Quote Originally Posted by buddee View Post
    Thanks for the feedback thus far, and thanks for the surface explanation Mr. Mom, then on that token i should get both the mother's metal and the chrome polish as they will both have their place and uses.

As you all may know most newer cars won't have alot of chrome or metal as older vehicles do (as noted by 57BORNTORUN), but there are still quite a few trucks and some SUV style vehicles that will still have chrome grills and rims, and some metal bumpers, which is primarily what i'm targeting here.
    Whether it's our brand, or another, the most important thing is the proper polish for the finish.

Keep in mind many of those "chrome" grills you're referring to are actually plastic with a film over them. It's not real chrome. Regular use of a chrome polish will damage the film. You're better off with a spray detailer or a wax instead of a chrome polish.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to add that most auto chrome (bright work) is known as decorative chrome.
    It is as bright and shiny as it's ever gong to be, when it comes from "the factory".
    And...Since this type of chromium-plating's thickness is measured in millionths of an inch, care must be taken when attempting to polish it---never to the point where the chromium plating is compromised.

Going with the least aggressive metal/chrome polishes and buffs is a "best practice" to keep in mind, IMO. Simichrome is one such polish.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNDSMtuner96 View Post
    Im definitely following this thread. I'm pretty new to metal/chrome/etc polishing and have a motorcycle to do in the near future so have been looking into metal polishes lately.
    Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online
    On a motorcycle you may very well find a lot of aluminum. Depends how much work you want to put in but you can get into buffing wheels and compounds if you want your stuff to really shine.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used autosol and menzerna metal polish with good success....
    I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forrest@mothers View Post

You don't put power steering fluid in a transmission - use the proper product type for the finish you have.
    Actually, you do on some cars.

I was just working on an older Volvo and the manual says that the power steering system takes ATF.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are in need of a great aluminum polish, you need to try a product from the Nuvite Company called Nu Shine 2. This is the polish Boeing has been using for years for their aircraft.
    Nuvite Chemical Compounds Corporation - PaintCare Gloss, Polish & Drywash

Post Thanks / Like

Bluemagic metal Polish is what I use, it's great, cleans and polishes all in one step.
    Found anywhere for a great price , I've yet to find anything that works better after so many years of using it.

Cajun Detailing by Kevin
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

From you folks experience in this matter, when using white diamond and working it into the metal, it always left a film (oxidization) that you would have to buff off and the mirror shine would come thru, are any of these products mentioned thus far work in this manner?

@ MrMom: yea i've learned that from friends here, but some of the vehicles i do are truly custom metal grills, seems to be a big 'bling' type thing - atleast here in the south where i'm at, but yes i have run into some newer model trucks that have that chrome looking plastic film and am always careful not to use any metal type polishes on them.

Also to add, which i didn't mention earlier, some of the polishing is going to be for metal/aluminum boat trailers as well, which to me, is really where the white diamond metal polish came thru the most, it would give dull metal a new mirror like finish, almost so blinding you'd have to get your visors out just to view it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buddee View Post
    From you folks experience in this matter, when using white diamond and working it into the metal, it always left a film (oxidization) that you would have to buff off and the mirror shine would come thru, are any of these products mentioned thus far work in this manner?

@ MrMom: yea i've learned that from friends here, but some of the vehicles i do are truly custom metal grills, seems to be a big 'bling' type thing - atleast here in the south where i'm at, but yes i have run into some newer model trucks that have that chrome looking plastic film and am always careful not to use any metal type polishes on them.

Also to add, which i didn't mention earlier, some of the polishing is going to be for metal/aluminum boat trailers as well, which to me, is really where the white diamond metal polish came thru the most, it would give dull metal a new mirror like finish, almost so blinding you'd have to get your visors out just to view it.
    White Diamond has a sealant built in. Other than that no difference than when buffing off any other polish.

White Diamond has a significant amount of cut. Great for heavily oxidized aluminum but too much for chrome. Too much so IMO for pristine chrome.

I used the WD by hand on salt and beet juice damaged wheels recently. Above par results. I used Mothers aluminum polish on the grill because the vehicle has over 300K miles that shows in the chrome.

Awesome product for al. trailers due to the cut. Great time saver.
    VT
    Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    ....It's all I use these days....they are buffing when I'm relaxing...and still don't get the powder out of canines!

Post Thanks / Like

AG doesn't stock them anymore, but Surf City has dedicated aluminum and chrome polishes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12