autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Desperately need help!! How can I protect my paint against harmful chemicals???

Hi everyone,

First time poster! I'm glad this community exists and hopefully some of you will be able to help me out with my issue. Here's some background.

Currently my brand new Civic SI is in the body shop. It required a complete re-paint (quoted at $5500, luckily my insurance is covering it). The reason its getting repainted are shown in the pictures.

imgur: the simple image sharer

I work at a chemical plant and cover my car everyday. The reason I cover is because its a very dusty environment and also if there is a "hiccup" in the process, then there is a possibility of a fallout from the smoke stacks. At my plant, that means it rains sulfuric acid. This obviously should never happen but we don't live in a perfect world. I've only worked here 5 months and its happened once that I know of. Unfortunately for me, that was when my car was uncovered. It was a very windy day and the cover blew off to the side. Partially my fault that it wasnt locked down. Anyways, my car got covered in the acid and over the period of 2-3 weeks i noticed the pitting start and it just kept getting worse.

Ive decided not to buy a junker car to drive to work. 3-4K for the car, + insurance, + breakdowns, etc.. I just dont want to spend that much and have an unreliable car.

I think I will buy a very nice car cover (the ones my work provide are crap), try and park as far away as possible but still walking distance, and also maybe use some really good wax or paint sealant.

Do you guys have any more recommendations to protect my car? As far as products go, is there anything that protects against acid or just bad chemicals? I'm still kinda worried that stuff will build up on my car cover and seep through when it rains (or if it is pouring when I drive in I wont be able to put the cover on.)

Thank you for reading my long story!! Any help is very appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Desperately need help!! How can I protect my paint against harmful chemicals???

i think your best option would be to do a coating, opti-coat 2.0 or GTechniq C1 with EXO over top. a sealant wont last as long as you need it to in this case.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Desperately need help!! How can I protect my paint against harmful chemicals???

OptiCoat Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeake89 View Post
    I think I will buy a very nice car cover (the ones my work provide are crap), try and park as far away as possible but still walking distance
    Get a folding bicycle, park even further away, and ride into work.

and also maybe use some really good wax or paint sealant. Do you guys have any more recommendations to protect my car? As far as products go, is there anything that protects against acid or just bad chemicals? I'm still kinda worried that stuff will build up on my car cover and seep through when it rains (or if it is pouring when I drive in I wont be able to put the cover on.)
    Don't let anything sit on your car's finish for days-on-end. Use a quick detailer or waterless wash often. It only takes 10-15 minutes to do.

Post Thanks / Like

The most chemically resistant coating on the market would be Opti-Coat Pro. And then I would top that with CarPro Reload every month or so.

Post Thanks / Like

If acid is falling on your paint, won't it also eat up any coatings? I think your best bet would be somekind of opticoat, and clear bra the whole car. If the shop hasn't painted it yet ask for a few more coats of clear, that should leave more clear to polish. In my humble opinion that's the best bet, plus your cover of course. Last resort just quit, it's going to cost more time and money to maintain your paint and it's not worth it to me. Just my .02
    "The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo
    "Like" us Facebook.com/AlchemyAutoDetail

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you guys think of this product? Second Skin 6

Chemical Guys WAC_224_02 - SS6 Second Skin Hybrid Vehicle Coating System (2 oz)

I emailed the website (chemical guys) and thats what they recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

You should listen to the others who have posted here already. For what you are asking, it seems coatings are what you are looking for. Opti coat is a very well proven coating. So are 22ple, gtechniq, and cquartz.

Haven't heard much about the CG coatings, so I couldn't say.

Post Thanks / Like

GTechniq C1 gets my vote

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!!...
    Where in the World is this chemical plant located?

Shouldn't this company be held more responsible for this acidic fallout to not only yours and your fellow employees' situations (other than supplying some kind of car covers)...
    But also damages to their surrounding community's people, places, and things?!?!

Besides that:
    What about when this contamination becomes airborne and becomes fallout in other parts of the World...

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast