autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing my "new" used car

I just recently purchased a 2012 Nissan Rogue SL AWD. It came with black leather seats and 18" aluminum alloy rims. The car is in great condition both exterior and interior. This week I really want to give it a good cleaning. I'm looking to purchase most of my things over the counter and avoids doing online orders. Any advice regarding to products to use will be greatly appreciated. As far as exterior, I'm going with Meguiar's products. I've used them and pretty much like them the best for over the counter products.

Exterior Body:
    1.Going to get the Meguiar's clay bar kit
    2. I don't really think I need the ultimate compound being that my paint is in good condition.
    3. Going with the Meguiar's Ultimate polish and finish it off Ultimate liquid wax.
    4. My trims aren't faded, but I wanted a product to give them a gloss. I know Meguiar's and Turtle wax sell products for this.

Tires and Wheels:
    1. Should I go with a cleaner for the rims, and then a separate cleaner for the tires? If so any recommendations?
    2. Should I go for an all in one? If so any recommendations.
    3. I wanted to use the Meguiar's Brilliant Solutions Wheel Polishing Kit and seal it with the Hot Rim Break dust barrier. Any comments?

Interior:

1. As far as the leather seats, I saw that this site sold Lexol products which I can get at my local auto stores. Anyone have any experience with there products? Once again my leather seats are black. How often should leather seats be reconditioned?
    2. As far as dash cleaning and dressing, how does Armoral stack up? I like a glossy dash, is there any over the counter that can achieve that without leaving a residue or damaging my dash? Should I go with a cleaner and then a separate protectant?

Once again any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing my "new" used car

Honestly the only OTC product I use is Folex so I can't give you tons of advice but I would definitely ditch the armor all and go to something like mother VLR or meguiars interior detailer.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with Nissan paint, but I've had great success removing swirls on Toyota and Subaru paint using the Ultimate Polish.

I've used the Lexol leather products for a long time and been pretty happy with the results. I don't think you can go wrong with them when looking for something found in stores.

For interior trim/plastic, I'd avoid the Armour All. You can get Meguiars products in most stores that will serve you better.

As for tires/wheels, if they aren't in bad you probably won't need a dedicated wheel cleaner. I keep my looking good with the same soap I use on the rest of the car.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Tried VLR last weekend at the SoCal Meet-up.

If you like a shiny dash...for some crazy reason...it is not for you.

It leaves a beautiful almost matte finish.

The cleaners in it seemed to be light, so if your dash is dirty, I would suggest cleaning with an detailing specific all-purpose cleaner diluted 10 parts water to 1 part APC.

Maybe this product from Meguiar's is what you are searching for:

Meguiars Supreme Shine Protectant, interior protectant, rubber and vinyl protectant, plastic protectant, vinyl dressing, UV dash protectant, meguiars

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Tried VLR last weekend at the SoCal Meet-up.

If you like a shiny dash...for some crazy reason...it is not for you.

It leaves a beautiful almost matte finish.

The cleaners in it seemed to be light, so if your dash is dirty, I would suggest cleaning with an detailing specific all-purpose cleaner diluted 10 parts water to 1 part APC.

Maybe this product from Meguiar's is what you are searching for:

Meguiars Supreme Shine Protectant, interior protectant, rubber and vinyl protectant, plastic protectant, vinyl dressing, UV dash protectant, meguiars
    So I should use an all purpose cleaner before applying a protectant? Any recommendations for an APC?

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on how dirty the dash is. You should at least wipe it off with a damp MF Towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Duah34 View Post
    So I should use an all purpose cleaner before applying a protectant? Any recommendations for an APC?