autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need more cut (MF Pad + M105), or just live with some scratches?

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    adam (o.c. detailing from raleigh/durham, NC) use to post on here, i'm sure he probably still visits. anyways, here is an example of what a GG6, 5.5" surbuf pad & m105 can do...

2007 Infinity Q56 Test Spot and O.C.Detailing plug! - YouTube

Hey VISITOR! I am still around. Not detailing as much as I used to though. I have a full-time job, a wife and a 2-year old who I can't stand being away from for more than a few hours at a time, but yessir, I'm still here.

Honestly, I haven't used the MF system yet personally. I hear great things about it, but my technique with Surbuf and 105 is pretty as/better than more rotary polish work that I see being posted, though not all.

Not to mention, the cars that I usually end up detailing are HORRIBLY scratched up....horribly....and usually black. lol No idea why that is, but I do have a couple of cars that I still need to post up. I just need to make time to do it.

And VISITOR, thanks for the plug man!!! It's nice to see that I haven't been completely forgotten around these here parts. I'm saving up for a Rupes and getting ready to move over to permanent coatings as well as offer very high-quality sealants.

Keep an eye out and tell me what you think.

Adam
    yaatraphotography@gmail.com
    O.C.Detailing - New Port Richey, FL. - http://www.facebook.com/ocdetailingraleigh
    (434)851-1313

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a lot of variables here for sure but maybe try some M101 and the new LC purple wool/foam pad. I would also suggest trying out the Mother's rubbing compound in the red bottle, amazing product that doesn't get the love it deserves in the crowded polish segment, it really opened my eyes at our Chicagoland Detail Day a couple weeks ago! I know this, I'll be getting some, along with the new flat hybrid LC purple pad, no doubt about it!!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

OP, where do you live?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.Detailing View Post
    Hey VISITOR! I am still around. Not detailing as much as I used to though. I have a full-time job, a wife and a 2-year old who I can't stand being away from for more than a few hours at a time, but yessir, I'm still here.
    Are you now in Raleigh?
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.Detailing View Post

Honestly, I haven't used the MF system yet personally. I hear great things about it, but my technique with Surbuf and 105 is pretty as/better than more rotary polish work that I see being posted, though not all.

Not to mention, the cars that I usually end up detailing are HORRIBLY scratched up....horribly....and usually black. lol No idea why that is, but I do have a couple of cars that I still need to post up. I just need to make time to do it.

And VISITOR, thanks for the plug man!!! It's nice to see that I haven't been completely forgotten around these here parts. I'm saving up for a Rupes and getting ready to move over to permanent coatings as well as offer very high-quality sealants.

Keep an eye out and tell me what you think.

Adam
    hey adam, glad and the family are doing well. having the rupes for larger panels and the GG6 for everything else (not to say the GG6 can't do it all), you'll have all your basis pretty much covered. look forward to seeing your future write-ups when the time comes...

Post Thanks / Like

Wet sanding works well if you know how to use this method, I use 2k then 3k Unigrit paper then compound it with the Meguiar's 105 or Wolfgang Uber Compound but a rotary using a wool pad would give better results over a DA using foam pads, again it will only work if you have experience in using a rotary.
    If it was me I'd try to get someone who knows how to handle a rotary before I'd sand.
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kitoy22 View Post
    Have you tried your fg400 with a mf cutting pad? I think fg400 is more aggressive than m105. Sometimes deeper scratches needs more than 1 set of section passes to clear.
    I waited to get to the end to post this as well. Typically starting out doing a test spot, I will stick to the same polish or compound and change the pads to see what cut I can get out of it. FG400 is a go to for me and with a Megs MF Cutting disc, it should be plenty aggressive.
    Also, what TundraPower said about wet sanding the car would also work well, if you really want to get the last little bit out of it.

HUMP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TundraPower View Post
    Stop looking for more aggressive polishes and pads. Wet sanding is much safer, faster, and effective.
    ^This x100... if you truly want to "go to town" on the car, starting with 2000 or 3000 grit paper for these heavier scratches would have been quicker and safer.

Would I typically recommend this... no... but you're clearly a man on a mission with these scratches, and sanding would be my next step if M105 and MF does not 'cut it'

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like
    In the beginning of this video that was the Final test spot. To see if wool pad, Rotary and FG400 could do anything.

Had gone pretty aggressive over Meguiars with extra cut, Rupes, M100

It didn't since the CC is so hard so we just decided to wet sand the swirls out.

Wet Sanding Spoiler (rough draft): http://youtu.be/PdlMEknQxFA

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123