autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Are all VW clear coats this hard ????

Started detailing my daughters 2015 VW Passat yesterday using the new Pinnacle Jeweling wax. I wanted to see how it do with an average amount of light scratches using a LC white hybrid pad and Flex 3401. After claying the car I buffed a small test spot and it looked ok, but it didn't get all the scratches out. I switched to a LC orange Hybrid pad and used the Pinnacle Jeweling wax again, same results, still mild scratches left after buffing.
    SO, I went with the LC orange Hybrid pad and Menz 400 compound and it did a better job but still left light swirls, and I'm still using the Flex 3401 on speed setting 4 & 5 with pressure for 6 passes and then light pressure for two more passes. Now, I'm no pro at this but I'm not a beginner either, well the only thing left that I had to try was my LC purple wool pad and Menz 400, THAT did the trick ! and the wool pad left no swirls !
    This was the first VW I ever buffed out so I was wondering if all of their cars had a clear coat this hard ? Anyone else had this kind of trouble ?
    Thanks,
    Red

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Are all VW clear coats this hard ????

I'm not sure about what color you were working on, but VW paint is quite hard.

On my black 2014, I've had the best success with Lake Country white Flat and Thin Pro pads and either the Blackfire Compound or the Wolfgang Swirl Remover as a one-step that finishes out LSP ready. The Wolfgang was right on the edge of being not quite aggressive enough, but the Blackfire is a slam dunk for me. I have tried to use the Blackfire SRC Finishing Polish on an orange pad, but found the compound on white actually worked faster.

Most of my work has been simply removing wash induced swirls and other light marring. The car has very few deeper scratches and for the sake of my clear coat, I don't try to totally remove them. If I was faced with some neglected paint, I'd probably be forced to go much more agressive in tackling the problems.

On this hard paint, I'll never start with a Jeweling wax, AIO, or finishing polish. They simply won't cut it as you discovered. A mild compound (not sure you have to go as agressive as Menz 400) seems to be the best bet and it will often finish out really nicely making a finishing polish optional.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Likes Red Lehr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lehr View Post
    Started detailing my daughters 2015 VW Passat yesterday using the new Pinnacle Jeweling wax. I wanted to see how it do with an average amount of light scratches using a LC white hybrid pad and Flex 3401.
    I think the problem is you're using a Jeweling wax in an attempt to perform a paint correction. Regardless of pad, product will always be key to success and honestly, a jeweling wax isn't what I would put forth as the means to removing light swirls. IMO and experience it's to take a vehicle from say a level 7/8 in terms of gloss level to a more refined 9 or 10.

On German paint I often blast through even light swirls with 3 passes of Purple Wool on the 3401 and hit it with a polish on a white pad. From there, yes, a Jeweling wax on a white pad would then amp up the gloss even further.

IMO I would jump to something like CarPro Essence and a white pad though. All depends on what your final LSP intentions are. I'm a coating guy. However, here are two shots of my Audi S4. The first is with McKee's 37's Jeweling Wax, the other is CarPro Essence. End results are both awesome.

Reflection off Roof - Jeweling Wax

Reflection off Door - CarPro Essence
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

5. Likes Red Lehr, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I'm not sure about what color you were working on, but VW paint is quite hard.

On my black 2014, I've had the best success with Lake Country white Flat and Thin Pro pads and either the Blackfire Compound or the Wolfgang Swirl Remover as a one-step that finishes out LSP ready. The Wolfgang was right on the edge of being not quite aggressive enough, but the Blackfire is a slam dunk for me. I have tried to use the Blackfire SRC Finishing Polish on an orange pad, but found the compound on white actually worked faster.

Most of my work has been simply removing wash induced swirls and other light marring. The car has very few deeper scratches and for the sake of my clear coat, I don't try to totally remove them. If I was faced with some neglected paint, I'd probably be forced to go much more agressive in tackling the problems.

On this hard paint, I'll never start with a Jeweling wax, AIO, or finishing polish. They simply won't cut it as you discovered. A mild compound (not sure you have to go as agressive as Menz 400) seems to be the best bet and it will often finish out really nicely making a finishing polish optional.
    I never start with a jeweling wax, but after seeing what Mike Phillips did with the black Maserati I thought ,what the heck...usually I only use the jeweling wax after the Wolfgang Finishing Glaze or after Menz 3800.
    I also have Wolfgang Swirl remover which is one of my go to polishes to start corrections with, sometimes Menz 1500.
    The paint color on this VW is white and was pretty neglected...It took a good deal of time with a nano skin (fine grit) to get the air born contaminates off. Live and learn...Thanks for the insight guys, and Desertnate, if you ever get close to New Athens stop by my shop !

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

VW White is among the hardest of paints out there.

8. Thanks Red Lehr thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lehr, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post
    VW White is among the hardest of paints out there.
    Preach brother, preach!
    The first time I worked on a VW was a white 2011 Jetta. I must've tried half a dozen combo's of pads/products before I finally ended up with a B&S mf pad and M105 to get the results I wanted. I was really shocked at how hard it was.