autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Spraying Opti-coat?!!!

Hello

I've heard about spraying opti-coat. Is it efficient more than applying it by hand? What's the usage amounts (mm) of the coat to spray a car? Is it faster? What's the cons?

Someone said that it needs only 15 mm to spray the car. I've searched on internet and found that a detailing shop in Australia works with that system, spraying opti-coat. They say it is more efficient.

I hope to share your experience with me.
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spraying Opti-coat?!!!

Define more efficient. I can see two areas of "efficiency":

Spraying vs wiping using extra product
    Time to apply

In time to apply, I'd say spraying will always be faster (think a painter using a paint gun vs rolling the walls and ceiling all day). In a new construction home the house is sprayed 100% of the time because labor cost is lower and one doesn't worry about paint getting all over.

In product efficiency (more/less waste), one has to gauge the waste with each method:

1) spraying - how much goes into the air vs on the car
    2) wiping - how much is on the sponge, glove vs on the car

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion is to contact Anthony or Ron at AutoConcours in San Antonio. I'm not trying to "plug" their business but they used Opti-coat before it was known to the public and, in the past, they've talked about spraying it. Whether or not they do, I can't say but my guess, they've tried it.
    San Antonio Paintless Dent Repair, Window Tinting, Auto Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of pro installers that are spraying it on now and on the pro installer forum most guys like it. You do use more product and does save time. The only problem is getting the spray gun dialed in right. I wouldn't be using a spray gun anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use an HVLP for dressings.

Post Thanks / Like

I spray OC Pro for the majority of my jobs. It does use more product (approx 15-20cc depending upon the size of the car) but saves a ton of time.

I started with air brushing it and had very good success with that. I just recently switched over to an mini-HVLP gun with a .06mm tip. Which i'm still getting use to. The first car I did I used about 15cc of OC Pro. the 2nd I used more like 22cc which is due to the adjustments on the gun. It takes some time to get it dialed in which I'm still playing with.

When spraying OC you have to thin it with a thinner like Xylene. I do 2:1 OC:thinner.

Spraying it on is much faster than wiping it on. I can spray a whole average size car in about 15 minutes. Compared to 45-60 min with the wipe on method.

If you spray it correctly you don't have to wipe it at all. It lays down flat with no high spots. Also, spraying it puts a thicker coating on the surface than wiping it.

The atomization of spraying it does make it air borne so having a respirator and goggles is a must have.

So far I've sprayed about 8 vehicles in the past couple months a few of which I see on a regular basis and have not had any issues with the coatings. Some people have asked how the longevity is since it's thinned. But so far I have not had any issues.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot comment really for OC but the underlying technology for many coatings has generally been adapted to work with 'wiping', generally, HVLP is where it will have started. Our experience is that wiping often leads to under application of coatings. Yes, you use more when spraying but you probably are using closer to the amount you really should (when looking at the science).

Post Thanks / Like

It should be mentioned that the Opti-Coat 2.0 formulation should not be diluted. SEAJAY'S is a Opti-Coat Pro Installer. Because of the nature of the task and the risks involved, I have not spoken much on the subject on enthusiast boards. I personally prefer an airbrush to an HVLP gun because of the waterlike viscosity and low spraying psi. I find it more suited to the product.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO using almost twice as much product is not worth saving 45 minutes on the application. I book at least a full day for each Opti-Coat job, so spending a little more time on the installation process is no biggie.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't overspray get everywhere?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast