autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polish/Compound Combo for 11 Nissan Maxima

Going to do PBL coating on a Crimson Black Nissan and am trying to figure out the best combo to get the paint perfect first. I am going to be using the Porter Cable and after watching junkmans video series had decided on Hex logic pads and Megs 105/205 combo. After doing some more reading I am hearing some conflicting reviews on the 105 on ease of use.

I am willing to do the work for a stunning shine but just need some direction. I am hearing a lot good about the Twins and Menzerna combos. What would you tweak in my though process keeping the Porter cable as the only for sure decision in the mix. I have read that the nissan clear is hard? I am also looking for a combo that serves dark colors well and keep in mind that I am a beginner. I also have a 2003 Pewter Chevy 2500HD that I am going to do as the test subject but would still like to make this nice as well. I am willing to buy multiple polishes/combos to make sure both vehicles are taken care of.

Also, is a cut then polish step generally good(after the basic rinse,foam,wash,clay steps of course) then right to the PBL prep before the coating or should I be looking at a glaze as well.

I have done a lot of research but I am helping to get a little more specific help for my needs and hope you guys can help. Thanks in advance for your patience and this is a fantastic, friendly, helpful forum to be a part of.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polish/Compound Combo for 11 Nissan Maxima

Also, I am not concerned so much with budget, I want great results at ease of use for a beginner and am willing to pay what I need for that to happen so please consider that in your responses.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want ease of use, and have great results, I am a novice, and am having FANTASTIC results on a '10 Nissan Altima in metallic blue. I am using a 5" Nanoskin Microbuff Starter kit. so far I'm only using speed cut and black cutting pads and getting great results, and not spending a whole lot of time on it, other than pulling out VERY bad scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

WHILE I can't see the condition of the paint on both vehicals........IMHO your Chevy paint is going to be hard and your Nissan with be on the med-soft side.

Your pc will get the job done just be patient.

look to something other than M105 for a compound as this is your first time. M205 is very user friendly and a great polish.

Megs Ultimate compound, megsD300,101 even Uber compound and the Wolfgang twins could be of a better choice.
    Tim
    "I have done so much with so little for so long.
    Now I can do anything with nothing"

Post Thanks / Like

First, welcome to the forum. I am also new to the forum and I did my first detail on my 2000 Maxima which you can find pictures on here.

IMO, I've notice a detailers technique and patiaence is more important than any product that you will put onto that buffing pad then your car.
    This isn't going to be a one two punch and boom! you got a winning combo if that was the case there wouldn't be 1000+ compounds and polishes out there to buy.

Here is the common guide:
    Start on your wheels first to perfection so you don't add a mess to your paint after you polish it.Polish your windows and don't forget the doorjambs.
    Start out with the least aggressive pad and cutting compound after your prep work, Wash, Clay/nano-skin ect. Tape off a section as you have seen on many videos and pictures in here. It's very important you do this and really look at the tested area in good lighting, pref the sunlight to determine the results on your first choice of pads and compounds. Make sure you have a sealant to put on your car after your done with all of your hard work. Meg's 21 is a great buy and been reviewed by some worthy forum members here. Can you just wax your car? of course, but that means you will be re-waxing your car every 3+ weeks. Depending on the use of the car a sealant is designed to last up to 6 months. By no means does this mean your car won't get swirl marks in them if not washed and dried properly.

You will need more than one pad of each color as the pads tends to get hot and it's wise to change them. Clean your pads after every panel or some on here, after every use. Of course, you won't do a huge hood and not clean the pads after every 2-3 runs.

TAPE OFF edges. Factory paints are thin and will burn real easy. Take the time and tape it off.
    Tape off any molding that the buffer will contact. Tape off headlights. If you're not buffing it, tape it!

I like the 5.5" pads and it would be a wise if you can get some 3" pads for smaller areas.
    You are in the right place to get this done and way more than enough professionals to give you their best advice.
    Keep the questions coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mitch and hello to a fellow Maxima owner!

Can you or anyone else post some pictures of "taped edges"? I think I follow you, but pictures are certainly worth a thousand words. I do have a LSP product, or rather, system picked out. I am going with the PBL coating system for windows, wheels, and paint. My biggest worry is a base to start for the hardness of paint and colors of the two projects(if that matters) as far as compounds and pads go. I keep hearing how good the Meg's 205 is so I am leaning toward the 32 oz at a very nice price and maybe multiple other 8oz products varying up the cutting chart to find what is going to work well for me. Am I close in going with orange and white pads to work with...should I have others? Is it ok to use different company's products at varying stages of polishing ie. starting with WG's Uber and finishing with Meg's 205?

Thank you for all of you guys feedback. I welcome all advice and opinions. I am going to make a 7-$800 purchase and want to get this figured out fairly soon to take advantage of my introductory coupon code.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo1133 View Post
    Also, I am not concerned so much with budget, I want great results at ease of use for a beginner and am willing to pay what I need for that to happen so please consider that in your responses.
    I hate and will never buy again hexlogic pads because your product just gets caught up and wasted in the dimples, especially when using my PC. IMHO the best pads for the PC are the LC flat pads, I'm so sure on that I'll sell you all my new non used hexlogic ones for a discount :-)

And the best advice I can give you is get Mike P's ibook on detailing it's awesome and you won't have to invest a couple hundred hours watching that other guys lonngggg videos. OMG!!!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Also, anyone familiar with the Porter Cable....do the hex logic pads work that much better with it than others? If they do, I don't mind spending the extra to order from another site but if it is a marginal difference then I could get more here. And I read a little about the Porter cable counterweight.....is a 3 inch going to work fine?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo1133 View Post
    Also, anyone familiar with the Porter Cable....do the hex logic pads work that much better with it than others? If they do, I don't mind spending the extra to order from another site but if it is a marginal difference then I could get more here. And I read a little about the Porter cable counterweight.....is a 3 inch going to work fine?
    see my above post re hexlogic pads ad pc
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, I was posting at the same time as you. So the flat pads seem to be the favorite for the PC....

Thank you for the responses, keep me coming please.

Lol, his videos are looooooonnnnnngggggg to get a point across.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast