autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Optimum Hyper Polish: Difficult to remove? Anyone else have this problem?

I've used Optimum Hyper Polish on several cars so far as a finishing polish, but have never understood why it is such a difficult polish to remove afterwards?

I've done a couple of Jet black cars recently. One was a super soft Lexus. Today I used it on a jet black Aston Martin with harder paint, but I noticed on both cars the HP residue is very tough to remove.

Other finishing polishes like M205 and Sonax Perfect Finish are a breeze to remove after you're done buffing.

Just wondering what am I doing wrong or is the polish just difficult to remove no matter what?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Optimum Hyper Polish: Difficult to remove? Anyone else have this problem?

Dear,

Never used the polish you're talking about, but I had hard time earlier with other products, that tweaking technique a bit made the same products a breeze to remove.

One example is Uber Compound. I've noticed that not priming the pad the conventional way (but using a fine mist of detailing spray), and using 3-4 Dime drops to start, and then 3-4 pea size to keep moving on, helped very much.

Another point was that I wasn't working the product for it's entire cycle, so trying to remove 'un-worked' polish is harder than when you definitively brake the abrasives down.

So, 'defining a prime the pad technique', use less product and work it for more time (or slightly slower arm speed, or more polisher speed, or more pressure) are my 0.02$.

Maybe you just have to work it differently that you're adapted with M205 or PF.

Hope I've helped,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

I used it twice and found it very easy to remove.
    Try this, once your done polishing hit it with a light mist of DS and simply wipe it off.
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Chris from Optimum says a damp microfiber should take off the residue.

Since its a no-fillers no-oils product, using a QD might defeat the purpose.

Ive had a similar issue with a different water based no fillers/oils product (Gtechniq P1). Seems like I had to work it MUCH longer than standard products before it was ready to come off and even then it wasnt the easiest to remove.

I know, it seems completely counter-intuitive....use it on soft paint because it "finishes down nicely" then risk marring the paint having to power off the residue. Thats actually the reason I took my car to a pro, it seemed like I could polish a panel perfectly but the second I tried to remove any leftover residue it would introduce marring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like too much product or you are working it improperly. Hyper polish is a breeze to remove most of the time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    What speed were you using?

I've found that at higher speeds, it dries out fairly quickly. In my experience, it works best at speed 4-4.5 on the Rupes 21.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VP Mark View Post
    Sounds like too much product or you are working it improperly. Hyper polish is a breeze to remove most of the time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online
    Definitely not too much product. I have tried many different approaches with this specific product. I am just not liking this product. I don't want to resort to using QD to remove polish residue, that's crazy talk.

Post Thanks / Like

I always found it super easy to remove. Too much, too little, overworked.... It is just a breeze to remove for me no matter what. Maybe your bottle is old and dried out. Or maybe there is a problem with the towel/towels you are using to remove it
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Were the vehicles clayed/decontaminated prior to polishing? How about surface temperatures?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    I always found it super easy to remove. Too much, too little, overworked.... It is just a breeze to remove for me no matter what. Maybe your bottle is old and dried out. Or maybe there is a problem with the towel/towels you are using to remove it
    Maybe I will give it another shot, but I do not see having a different result. I used a brand new towel and it was a major PITA to remove the HP. I tried the same exact thing with several other polishes on the same car and none were difficult to remove.
    Quote Originally Posted by spiralout462 View Post
    Were the vehicles clayed/decontaminated prior to polishing? How about surface temperatures?
    Absolutely, everything was clayed and decontaminated. That's not the issue, note that I said other polishes were working beautifully on the same exact car(s), the issue was strictly with the HP. All cars are done inside the shop with about 55-65 degree temperature.

Machine is a 3401, pads were either LC white or crimson.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast